has anybody tried V3 on mac os8.6 with a vst5?stability?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

coc999

Post by coc999 »

Hello everybody:)Actually i am continuing to work with the v2.04 vst5 oms2.3.6 and os8.6.(i know pretty old updates for os).
As i work on the "project of my life" and as i am a big paranoiac,and before to make my computer crash with some new install s I would like to ask this:Can i install a v3 on another disk than 2.04 and what should i do to not have a driver conflict(extension file,oms folder,opening...).Has somebody experience that?What about the stability during the funny pulsar v3 sessions?
PS:the technician of the creamware distributor in france has not yet install v3 on mac,so he tells me it is maybe better to wait and see.
bye bye :smile:
Michaelj

Post by Michaelj »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Michaelj on 2001-10-08 19:39 ]</font>
Michaelj

Post by Michaelj »

Hello I run OS 9.2 MAC G4
and both Pulsar 2.04 and the New V3.
I have them both on installed the same HD.
The old pulsar folder is just named pulsar and the new automaticly is named Pulsar3

if you are working with
older projects. I think its best to finish them in 2.04.
and start new projects with the V3.

the problem could be this.
when you run pulsar 2.04.
you need to have the old drivers
in your MAC systemextensionfolder
(u can always find these in the old Pulsar folder.
pulsar/driver. there you have creamwaresoundriver and alloc.ddl
those two I need to have activated in my system when I run pulsar 2.04.

and viceversa when I run V3.

maybe you can have everything activated in your system all the time
and run both without reboot.(I dont)

I do like this.
I have 2 systemfolders on my MAC
On my HD1 I have OS 9.1
and from thre i run my old 2.04

And I start the HD 2 with system 9.2
where I then run Pulsar V3

I always have a older system on another HD with all the older drivers.
its easy and you are always safe.

and I always make backup on CD...
so do that also.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Hi,

I've got similar situation: one HD is 9.0.4, and a second (in fact it's a partition) 9.2.1. First disk contains v2 and all my music apps and the second one v3 and many other apps (shareware, demos, updates, internet, games :wink:) - this second disk is for trying if an update is worth installing and so on. I also didn't try to have all the drivers (Pulsar ones) at a time in one system folder but I suggest you to build 2 extension sets (with Extension Manager) which would contain one set of CW drivers (and name the sets P2 and P3 or so). This way you could have the desired set of drivers on demand.
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

MacOS 9.2.1 and OMS 2.3.8. These work great with Pulsar 3 so far....
coc999

Post by coc999 »

Thanks,i note your notes guys.I will do it as soon as i will format one of my hd.
I don't know why but i can not install any os9 on it so i wil format.
today in paris it is sunshine,so girlsss are out there hi hi hi :smile:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2001-10-09 15:28, Air_PoLLo wrote:
MacOS 9.2.1 and OMS 2.3.8. These work great with Pulsar 3 so far....

AirPollo, please try to recreate my oms problem because I had the same on both G3/266, 8.6, OMS 2.3.8 and now on G4/400, 9.0.4 (or 9.2.1), OMS 2.3.8 (I also tried with 2.3.4 to 7). Launch Pulsar soft (no matter 2 or 3), your MIDI keyboard and then open and close Cubase one by one - in my case after aprox. 3, 4 successful Cub oppenings the system shows Cubase 2 or 3 system error or #10 bomb error and the whole OS starts to be veeeerrrrryyyyy sllloooowww.... The same occures with any other OMS application (even OMS app itself). Perhaps it's my MIDI gear responsible for this but I tried eith several keyboards and several wires... As I mentioned somewhere in this forum I have a workaround for this problem but it's only workaround... Well, it's not that annoying but...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Thats a Mac, pre osX for you. :smile: Try allocating more memory to Cubase & Pulsar, this helps with stability.
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Well, I'll take a look, meanwhile do as subhuman says: allocate more mem, that usually gets rid of slowliness. Also remove unnecessary extensions, specially index scheduler... remember not to use indexing on the drive with the pulsar3 installation and one thing to remember is that pulsar3 might let macOS use up to 200Mb easily and thinking that logic or VST uses the same amount then it's wise to, once again put more mem!! (This means that giving more mem to the actual pulsar3 app won't do much good) Pulsar uses macOS mem and that one is handled dynamicly. Good luck, I'll keep you posted...
Btw, did you download the USB floppy enabler extension? This one is a seriuos problem killer... ehhe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Air_PoLLo on 2001-10-11 13:46 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Good info AiR, is it okay if I add that to the Mac Optimize guide? hehe
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Mi casa es su casa, go ahead :wink:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Thanks for the quick response. It looks like both of you are only sitting by your keyboards and have a special version of this forum application allowing you to be informed about new threads :smile:.Unfortunatelly almost all the tips that Air gave me I wanted to post in the Mac Tips thread also (I just was trying to write them down and post)...

Btw, did you download the USB floppy enabler extension? This one is a seriuos problem killer... ehhe
???USB floppy enabler? Really? I have to try it...
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

I don't know what was this enabler for for me(I've got no floppy) but computers are magic. No, this didn't help me...
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2001-10-11 13:35, Air_PoLLo wrote:
[...] meanwhile do as subhuman says: allocate more mem, that usually gets rid of slowliness.
The kind of slowliness occured in my case was 'veerrrryyy sllooow one' and it was caused by crashed Cubase (about 10 times slower then normaly), but thanks for your interests.

I think I found a solution to my problem. Or maybe a next workaround. Anyway, if somebody has similar problem to mine will have a shorter way to successful and problemless composing/producing :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-10-12 16:18 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Absolutely - Active Sensing will even crash an AMT8 midi interface when using USB on Win9x/ME ... so you got it -- filter it out!
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Oh my god, thanks or that one!

I remember back in the days when I was a PC user and used a MOTU AV interface. I know remember the manual stating the same thing regarding active sensing!

Thanks for that one,samplaire! :smile:
Hey subhuman, you know what to do! eheh

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Air_PoLLo on 2001-10-13 02:01 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

:cool: