ABIT KG7

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

shloomper

Post by shloomper »

Hi (-:
Can anyone recommend this board?
Anyone knows what is the "raid" thingy? (KG7raid)
I ask because its on good price (134.99$) in the theoverclockerzstore.com
but I think its the KG7 raid...
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

There are really only 2 boards that are recommended with Pulsar.
ASUS CUSL2 and ASUS A7M266.
I would'nt take my chances on anything else.
If i had a PC that is.(running smoothly on a Mac over here).
Q2. Raid is to connect 2 or more HD:s for increased speed or safety or both(requires at least 4 HD:s).
shloomper

Post by shloomper »

Jupiter8! 10x 4 your kind replys!
I hope its ok if I ask this:

is there any reason why the A7M does better
than the KG7 or than the GIGABYTE 7DXR?
they all use the same chipset,
and the asus is more expansive.

could it be that
"it has better pci throuput..."
how come, if chipset is identical??

If this issue was already regarded around these forums, I apologize in advanced.
I didn't see it and will b happy if any1 linked me from here...
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

Ask away as much as you want.
As i said i'm running a Mac and is really not the person to talk to about MOBO:s. I really don't have a clue!!
I do know that the 2 boards mentioned above (and the old BX 440) is the ones that is recommended to run Pulsar.
You may save a few bucks by buying a cheaper MOBO but really?? is it worth it? Do you want to tweak MOBO:s or make music? Do your Pulsar a favor and buy it the best board.
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I use a Asus P3BF with the BX440 (P3/500) with 21 DSPs (powerpulsar&pulsar2) and I never had a pci overflow, not even in the most complex projects with e.g. 8 synths, 5 FX, 32 ADAT channels and 16 Asio channels, all analog and S/PDIF-I/Os active, VST with about 20 MIDI and 14 Audiotracks...
I can even have the Realplayer run a video and surf the internet (explorer, firewall, Vscanner) at the same time, as well as Photoshop for a quick edit. My Systems keeps going on and on, no problems at all.
claes

Post by claes »

I ordered a kg7 today and will probably get it in the end of the week, so I can tell you about how it works when i get it.

I didn't buy the asus board because it was more expensive and has been slower in the benchmarks i've seen. It also had more pci- and sdram slots. And it have the same chipset so pci performance shouldn't really differ.

I only have a single pulsar1 though so I probably won't be able to max out the pci-bus..

besides, somebody has to test the motherboards out there, otherwise we wont know which ones works, although i wouldn't have ordered the kg7 if i thought it was gonna cause any problems..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: claes on 2001-09-03 14:56 ]</font>
shloomper

Post by shloomper »

hO! (-:
I think u just did the right thing mate!
I got the ASUS after all.... ):(:
but that was mainly cause I couldn't get
a kg7 fast enough. I think u got urself 1 GREAT board. please write about ur experience when u get it..
goodluck
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I've had lots of problems with ABIT boards in the past, and I used to be a HUGE Abit fan, particularly back in the day when they were the only mfg who had the SoftBIOS for easy overclocking... I definitely built a bunch of Abit BX6's with the 300a @ 450mhz :grin: Most of which are still running, but then BE6's, BP6's, KA7's all have issues, mainly due to highpoint, and roughly 20% of the ABITS died, whereas all the ASUS systems are still going strong. (I admit that this only accounts for roughly 10-15 machines from that era in all, so my numbers are small, but I have friends who run computer shops & build/support machines for a living, and they refuse to carry Abit due to the high RMA rates...)

That said, the ABIT board should work fine with Pulsar as long as it has the AMD North Bridge. Another thing that I prefer on the ASUS A7M266 board, is it sticks to the AMD-referance design for DDR boards, with only 5 pci slots and 2 ram slots. You can get instabilities on your board (that sometimes only materialize when you actually push your system hard...) when the mfg goes beyond the referance specs.

Case in point, the popular ASUS CUSL2 board (which I run in my own system) is nowhere near as stable as the Intel i815EPEA2 board (or even the i815E version) -- CUSL2 won't run Oasys+Pulsar in the same box with complex reverb/sampler projects no matter what you do. You can't overclock on the Intel board though really. Stability vs. Overclocking options... something you gotta decide I guess.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-09-04 12:27 ]</font>
claes

Post by claes »

I've had the KG7 now for a couple of weeks and it works very well.

The PCI performance seem to be the same as my old 440bx board, I get pci overflow when loading the fourth ezverb. I only have a pulsar1 so it is probably the limiting factor, as it doesn't has the improved PCI-performance of the second gen. of creamware cards..