Partition magic & ghost tips needed

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

dmerrick

Post by dmerrick »

I am setting up my new system for Ensoniq Paris 3.0 and Pulsar using Partition magic and Ghost to configure my system . Are
there any tips on setting up my Pc with these apps for Audio like ? ideas to
keep data and OS on deferent Partition and ways of using ghost for easy
restoring? Any tips would be helpful. I have used Paris and pulsar for a few
years and know how to set it up I am just optimizing.
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

I use both partition magic and ghost to keep my system running, and it runs just about very good. My setup is based on one HDD and is as follows :

With partition magic I have made two bootable partitions with one W98 installation each. One is purely for music, the other is internet, games, word-processing etc. Both these drives have access to the same D: and E: partition, D: is used for transport and storage, so that when I download a program (or device) I save it to D:, and install it from that loaction.

That way, if C: gets bashed up, I can quite easily decide which programs to reinstall.
E: is used for music-projects, here I store info on pulsar and Logic projects, all samples and info needed to run the projects.

I use 30 GB drives which are partitioned so that 3GB goes to each C: partition, D: is 8 GB and E: is 12 as I recall it. (that does not add up due to cluster sizes and inaccuracies in my main memory, brain ver. 0.9 :wink:)

Partition Magic also contains a bootmanager, which I use to boot the right OS.

Ghost is used to automatically make a direct copy of all information (2 C-partitions, a D and E partition) onto another harddrive, but you can make just about any setup you like here. Powerquest (those making partition magic) also makes drive image, which can burn an image directly to CD-R or -RW. nice, innit, but a little over the egde for me :smile:

This setup gives me (and you;-))a lot of security and freedom when it comes to restoring the system after a crash, I can restore my complete system in 15 min. as it were last week, or I can make a new and improved within 2-4 hours.

Some may argue that this is overkill, but you know, when you bring your umbrella for a walk, it will not rain at all :wink:

Hope that helps you
Cheers
Stubbe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stubbe on 2001-07-19 01:24 ]</font>
Micha

Post by Micha »

Excellent proposition, Stubbe!
I use 1 IDE and 1 SCSI for changing Audio/Test environments. In the first step I configured a plain, audio-optimized OS with accessoires (TweakUI, PowerArchiver included, no DirectX (new version->new trouble) ) and burned it on CD.
Now I can do format D:, sys D: and copy Z:(my cdrom)*.* D:. New OS done.
Programs:
E: is reserved for Pulsar.(Audio active) When in the Test environment, I install the driver and correct the drive letter for the entry under Run (runpep.exe) in the Registry.
(a .reg file can be made via the Export command of regedit, and imported in the Test environment)
I never had to reinstall the Audio setup, so this proposition is only useful if one needs to format the Test more often, as I do.
No additional SW is needed for this procedure.
Happy pulsaring
Micha