Anyone recommend a good monitor amp?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

cjw1378

Post by cjw1378 »

I have a pair of B&W DM110 speakers. While these may be 20 years old, I love 'em. Sadly, the amp that's driving them is crap and slowly dying (not to mention terrible sound quality!)

Anyway, the specs of the speakers are 1 watt into 8 ohms for a s.p.l. of 90dB at 1m, suitable for amplifiers with 10-75 watt output.

What should I be going for?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cjw1378 on 2005-03-11 02:24 ]</font>
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Get a Bryston :wink: (Well that's what i use).

Mr A
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I use a pair of 17years old Infinity SM120 as additional monitors, and power them with a Hafler P3000 amp. Awesome sound! Those speakers now sound like monitors of several times the price they actually represent. For your speakers, a smaller Hafler should do fine already, like the P1000.
Definite value hint, that Hafler Transnova series.
And to make the value hints for old speakers complete, the following:
Not long ago, one of the woofer membrane surroundings started ripping apart due to deterioration, and I was urgently looking for a way to replace or fix this. After some serious web-searching, I ended up ordering a edge replacement kit from http://www.simplyspeakers.com and fixed the speaker on my own. Good as new, for a really low price. The speaker sounds crisp and performs better than ever. It just takes a calm hand and a little time to do the repair, it´s worth the work by all means!
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

I must agree with both of the above choices.

I ended up buying the Hafler P3000 Amp which sells for about £500 instead of the Bryston 4B-ST mainly as it was more within my budget. We tested the above 2 amps side by side through some PMC TB2 Monitors as those are what I have at home. Mr Arkadin has a pair of these too I believe. Blinding monitors by the way :smile:

Anyway, in the shop's sound listening studio the Hafler seemed to be just a little crisper, but that was probably my imagination. Also due to my lack of knowledge I thought the 4B-ST would be a bit over the top power wise. On reflection though I should have got the 4B-ST as there was 1 ex-demo on sale there for only a few hundred more than the Hafler and they normally go for £2000+. Oh well, can't complain and the Hafler is a superb amp for the price
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Cool choice, but the Bryston would've been better :wink: i actually have the earlier TB-1 and Bryston 2B (wish i had more power sometimes). Not sure they make the 2B - seems i saw a new version of it recently. Anyway, i was lucky as i got a deal on the PMCs and Bryston for £800.

BTW, where did you demo them, as i have been thinking of getting the new powered TB-2s which are a nice price, and cheaper than getting a new Bryston (although i'd miss the 20 year guarantee)?

Enjoy your new high-end system,
Mr Arkadin.