Micro ATX PCI expander

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post Reply
fokas
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:32 am

Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by fokas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:44 am

This just caught my attention. It can be Sata powered which seems promising but needs to be tested and will be an ergonomical wonder for a MicroATX in a ATX Case.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (111.39 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

dawman
Posts: 13195
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by dawman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm

I've been using Riser Cards and Ribbons for years.
Its how I have 1U PCs for Scope.
Using micro ATX too.
We don't need all of the excess slots and gunk on gaming boards.

panaman
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:21 am
Location: germany

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by panaman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 am

looks like that sintech pcie to pci riser card.
did you get it to work?
with internal and external cards?
more than 3?

dawman
Posts: 13195
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by dawman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 am

You need to ensure it’s the proper voltage conversion for 32 bit PCI Slots to function correctly.
But using one that would work would be a gold mine on Z97 boards.
No PCH Redirections, straight to the CPU.

ste
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:21 am

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by ste » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:50 am

dawman wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm
I've been using Riser Cards and Ribbons for years.
Its how I have 1U PCs for Scope.
Using micro ATX too.
We don't need all of the excess slots and gunk on gaming boards.
hello,
i would be interested to give new life to my pulsarII card with a lot of synths purchased... is it possible to have more informations about your system? Components, motherboard, powersupply&1UCase and so on..

thanks!
ste

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21623
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by garyb » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 am

so far, there have been no good expanders that i have seen.

dawman
Posts: 13195
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by dawman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:11 pm

ste wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:50 am
dawman wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm
I've been using Riser Cards and Ribbons for years.
Its how I have 1U PCs for Scope.
Using micro ATX too.
We don't need all of the excess slots and gunk on gaming boards.
hello,
i would be interested to give new life to my pulsarII card with a lot of synths purchased... is it possible to have more informations about your system? Components, motherboard, powersupply&1UCase and so on..

thanks!
ste
Sure.

Supermicro CSE-512f-440B which is a 1U ATX Chassis
i7 4790k
ASRock anything Z or H97
32GBs Of DDR3 RAM
Samsung 850 Evo SSDs.

That’s about it.
7C72A2AB-01D5-4064-B222-DA3D7DE9634B.jpeg
7C72A2AB-01D5-4064-B222-DA3D7DE9634B.jpeg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 184 times

ste
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:21 am

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by ste » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:52 pm

wow! great! And you have a box for your scope through pciex-to-pci adapter, is it correct?

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21623
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by garyb » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 pm

no, he has an XITE-1 which has a connector in a PCIE slot.
external PCI expansion boxes don't work well.

also, as you can see, he does not have a bunch of dsps inside there and he still needs to be aware of heat. 3 space minimum for a PCI card is a good idea.

ste
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:21 am

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by ste » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:48 am

garyb wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 pm
no, he has an XITE-1 which has a connector in a PCIE slot.
external PCI expansion boxes don't work well.

also, as you can see, he does not have a bunch of dsps inside there and he still needs to be aware of heat. 3 space minimum for a PCI card is a good idea.
i understand :( perhaps i will have no alternative to move to a bigger case, although it's heavier and bigger...

Thanks garyb and dawman!
ste

User avatar
Janni
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Cologne - Germany

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Post by Janni » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:38 am

Try to get a refurbished/used HP workstation in a rackable case and use your scopecards as a standalone FX/Synth-unit.
I am using a xw6200 with winxp 32bit (about 160€) with a 14 and a 6 DSP card.
Each card has its own IRQ.
No VSTis, no sequencer, no ASIO-hassle... Just processing ADAT ins. Works perfect!!!
My OS is on a small SSD and booting it up takes just a few seconds.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c00215315
-/-

Post Reply