AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X ?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X ?

Post by JoPo »

So !
Amazing : I've got some money ! :o

I'd like to know how the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X behaves with Scope ? I saw some of you tried this config, or at least with new AMD CPU. Jimmy ! I think that's what you did ?

How is it going ?
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X ?

Post by dawman »

I get cold feet on anything other than Z97/H97.
Want to buy an AMD but discrete GFX Cards mean a bigger chassis, etc.

Help us out and try the Ryzen.
I’ll kick on your SSD or RAM for trying...

You do have XITE-1 right?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes, I do.

So, you didn't tried AMD + Xite ? I don't have enough money and time to buy a non working config ! I want to be sure it will work perfectly !

I don't know how I could do. Aaah ! If S|C was a normal company, they woould publish on their site which config is good for Xite and which is not ! :roll:

The AMD ryzen is half price of the best intel for the same power !
dawman

Post by dawman »

Their new Quad Core Mobile CPU is interesting.
I’m waiting for a fast desktop quad with Vega GPUs.

But please take my place as the Guinnea Pig.
I luckily have a son I can give anything that won’t work.
Even though the i7 7700k worked the x64 Portaudio.dll had to be tweaked by the Plogue Bidule developer.

I’m not buying anything until 2018, and the DIMMs for DRAM have to be perpendicular for use in a 1U.
Intel is dumping everything they got into the market.
8700k is actually 6 x i5 7000 Series Cores.
Their chipsets keep changing driving everyone nuts, and this keeps motherboard manufacturers too busy trying to be the first guys, rather than making AMD Boards for Racks and ITX Boxes.

Fuckin’ jergoffs.....

App£€
Int€£
Micro$oft
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Apparently, we are going to have some new drivers ! http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35144
But when ? I hope before the next CPU generation... But it seems to be netter to wait.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I’ve learned to stop fixing things that work.
But shoot....I can’t brag about benchmarks are being “current”..

Guess Ill just have to be happy with a Master PC w/ XITE-1 and 3 x 32GB Slaves using VEPro.
All old out dated (brand new) peripherals...

:D
valis

Post by valis »

ThreadRipper seems to have several issues. The first of which is the fact that it's multiple slabs of silicon in a single 'package'. This means that for memory access and the like the chips act similarly to my dual CPU machines, and require NUMA support for 'ideal' multithreaded access. There's always the 'gaming' mode that drops all of the virtual cores and improves things for games, but even with this setting...

Well, there's a lot of problems for audio users being reported so far. In Gearslutz there are a few builds, and even with RME drivers people seem to not be able to go BELOW 7ms/64samples without major problems (and sometimes not ABOVE 256samples/15ms), and it's not as simple to solve as a DPC issue from GPU drivers or LAN etc. I honestly haven't paid full attention to dig in and see what the specific issue is, but I highly recommend sourcing known working builds for low latency audio if you choose to go with ThreadRipper.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Wait for Zen 2.
Their newer memory Controller addresses Zens first controllers short comings.
But Urs from u-He says his 1800X is bad ass for all of his synths.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Very interesting ! Better wait ! :D

I really hate to spend hours, days, weeks or sometimes even months to try to make a computer just working correctly. I guess this technology is not yet mature. Let's wait for industry to have it usable without too much issue.

Thanks a lot, Valis, for the infos !
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: ThreadRipper ... there's a lot of problems for audio users being reported so far. In Gearslutz there are a few builds, and even with RME drivers people seem to not be able to go BELOW ...

7ms/64samples without major problems (and sometimes not ABOVE 256samples/15ms) ...
just a note:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/buffers-latency/

At 44.1kHz sample rate:

32 samples = 0.73ms delay
64 samples = 1.45ms delay
128 samples = 2.9ms delay
256 samples = 5.8ms delay
512 samples = 11.6ms delay
1,024 samples = 23.2ms delay

At 96kHz sample rate:

64 samples = 0.67ms delay
128 samples = 1.35ms delay
256 samples = 2.7ms delay
512 samples = 5.8ms delay
1,024 samples = 10.7ms delay

On my machines w/ SCOPE PCI and XITE-1,- @44.1KHz SR, 256 samples in ULLI = 7ms !
15ms, at 44.1 is somewhere between 512 and 1.024 samples while @96KHz it´s beyond the range ... :roll:

So, what´s correct in your lines above ?
Cannot go below 64 samples (1.45ms) or beyond 7ms (256 samples) ?

I´d say, in both cases I were fine because 64 samples is pretty low and I rarely (or never) go higher than 7ms.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
valis

Post by valis »

Keep in mind those numbers are hearsay, as they are taken from the Gearslutz posts and not my system (I have no TR system here). Latencies differ depending on OS (OSX has extra safety buffers), internal buffers for the A/DA in the soundcard and it's mixer, and so on.......and...I have no idea what's going on with those systems, sorry :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote:Keep in mind those numbers are hearsay, as they are taken from the Gearslutz posts and not my system (I have no TR system here). Latencies differ depending on OS (OSX has extra safety buffers), internal buffers for the A/DA in the soundcard and it's mixer, and so on.......and...I have no idea what's going on with those systems, sorry :)
I don´t blame you since you mentioned Gearslutz in your post above.

But I remembered those numbers (quoted from Sweetwater) in my post above from using RME cards and drivers as well and they were very close if not identical.

So, when those guys over @Gearslutz use today´s RME cards and drivers, they babble BS because those values mentioned cannot be real at all, regardless if the processor is an Intel or AMD.

And yes, round tip latency differs depending on system, application, drivers and s##t,- but that wasn´t the point.
Buffer sizes are fixed count of samples and fixed relation in time, the calculation based on the sample rate in use.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
valis

Post by valis »

They do equal the numbers I see on OS X with my RME HDSPe and OS X’s extra safety buffers, but you’re correct not on windows. And it’s OK, I consider myself severely flawed for reporting hearsay :D
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

The new Scope 7 driver, perhaps, works correctly with bad for Scope 5.1 chipset...? :-?

It would be nice from Holger to give us some info about which chipset amongst new ones he would recommend for Xite & PCI. I don't know if he has the oportunity to test Xite with some of new chipsets... I hope he tried with, at least, one new MB, though.

The dream would be that it comes from time to time to discuss all this here... :roll: I know that if he does that, it will be a tusnami of questions... That's maybe why he avoids to come on Z... But for technical issues, he is the one who knows the best !
fraz

Post by fraz »

Out of interest would 1950X cause problems with low latency audio in the real world? - If so do you see this improving at all later on?

It is 2 x 1800X combined together and others commented it's the same as having a 2 CPU system in terms of the downside.

I did reallly want to get a 1950X but was put off by some other users comments - What's the Scope users take on this CPU?