my fist direct recording: comments appreciated! ;-)

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

Post by bosone »

This file has expired and is no longer available here. The owner of the topic can re-upload the file, or post a link to an off-site file. <BR><BR><a name="planetz-tag"></a>Genre: Psychadelic<BR> <a name="planetz-tag"></a>Uses: Pulsar Effects,Pulsar Mixers<BR> copyright © 2002ADA<BR> _____________________________________<BR><BR> these is an excertp (30sec) of a song played by some friends of mine.
all instruments (drums, guitar, bass) were mic'ed and enetered in a mixer. the mixer direct out went into my 8 channel fostex VC( and, thru ADAT, to my pulsar. i recorded 8-10 tracks at once. all the musician played together.
aftwerwads, i did a rought mix, based on my friend's advice, and added some fx and eq.
the song is very "Lo-fi", and my friends are very happy about the resoult.
now, i need some more "professsional" comment regarding the sound and my mixing work... can you help me? :smile:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

sounds ok to me. Nothing specifically "catchy" about the overall sound of the mix, but sounds pretty standard.

With live bands, I think it's more about how you mic the performance that makes all the difference.. and the post process does little effect to it. And in this case, I think it sounds like nothing went seriously wrong. But to be frank, I'm not at all experienced with live bands. hehe.. so don't take my word for it. :lol:

You could try giving the snare sound a more characteristic ring with some EQ.. but I dunno, depends on what sort of sound you want.

I was expecting some vocals though.. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-12-12 04:29 ]</font>
cook

Post by cook »

Good move, bosone.

May these people from Liverpool inspire you also maybe...
http://www.ninjatune.com/release.php?id=642

Live-sessions are cool!
hubird

Post by hubird »

had a release with Ninja Tune 8 years ago, with Ulanbator :smile:
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Very nicely done Bosone! Well captured performance. :smile:
ernest@303.nu

Post by ernest@303.nu »

I recently recorded a live freaked-out impro-session of some friends using a pair of old strange-looking Realistic PZM microphones one of them brought with him. Not knowing where to put them, nor expecting much from the recording quality, I just gaffa-taped them to the ceiling, 3 meters in front of the lousy PA. The miked stereo signal went straight to DAT, panned hard L/R.

Back home, I was surpised at how good it sounded (especially taking into account the bad acoustics of the venue)! Extremely defined and detailed, good stereo image, no noise at all and the right (very spacious) amount of audience noise. Only the bass was a little fuzzy, but still better sounding than it did to my ears at the venue (Kraakkroeg de Onderbroek in Nijmegen, for the locals at Z:) )
Will be doing just a single SHARC-dsp'ed compression and bass-tightening run and then put te results on my webpage. (about 1h30min worth)

After recording I found a webpage about those Realistic PZM microphones, apparently they're well known for their quality (though they were selling at bargain prices through Tandy and Radio Shack back in the days).

Lesson of this story: if you ever find those mikes 2nd hand, buy them!!!

btw I bought my Akai VX-600 from Ulanbator... no appearance of mine on Ninja, though! :smile:
hubird

Post by hubird »

small world it is... :smile: :smile:
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Look out for the older Realistic PZM's (All metal construction), as they were made by Crown and a real bargain. Newer ones were made by Sony and don't sound as good IMO (plastic capsule housing).
ernest@303.nu

Post by ernest@303.nu »

My friend has the plastic ones, but even then I like the sound of them.... really curious about the Crown ones!
Anybody knows about other microphones utilizing the PZM concept?

Recently I'm discovering all kinds of exciting ancient - but for some reason abandoned - electronics products...
Like the 70's Philips MFB "Motional FeedBack" speakers... unbelievable deep en accurate sound for the driver size! With more recent crossovers and drivers I can easily see this concept become the ultimate studio monitor.

But er.... what was the original topic again? :smile:
cook

Post by cook »

c'mon, post a bigger file, bosi, we like that.
garyb

Post by garyb »

this sounds like it should.what you say you did will give you this recording if done properly.it sounds good.

if you want a more "produced" sound you could compress things harder.(longer attacks and higher threshold but 3.5-4 to 1 is kinda where is seem to be these daze.i tell you,it's all about what dynamics you want)on most everything.then you can get stupid with delays.add eq's and filters(phasers,flangers,midi controlled,whatever)and you already got the reverb although you could get sick with it in some instances......yep, then you'd have a real big mess.BUT,if you could control(hahahahaa!you fool!)oor even feeed the madnesss,then something strange and wonderful could be seen.maybe.or you could clean up the mess and try again.

oh yeah!duh!i'm not so smart.i almost forgot to tell you that gates,gates are what you need to really make things unrecognizable...(or tighten up a track/tracks)

but then,you know all this...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garyb on 2002-12-20 04:04 ]</font>