Game Freak mix

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hubird

Game Freak mix

Post by hubird »

https://soundcloud.com/hubird/gamefreak

A local rock band called Death to Decaf needed a demo of a few songs of them.
They recorded everything themselves at home, and asked me to mix the tracks.
This one is about a woman who's making up her mind, as her boyfriend can't stop gaming all day.
Accusal or twaddling, who knows, but the very end shows it's serious...

I got to love the whole end part, so I share the mix.

More useless info:

The guitarist, an ex colleague of my former job, is the composer of all songs of the band.
He kinda loves to avoid 'repeating parts', as he loves Radiohead and Muse.

But those 'intelligent' rock band musicians tend to postpone the best part of the song to the end.
What I call the refrein do them call the outtro, or something.
At least with this song it was a missed chance, to my feelings.

So I doubled the part in the end piece, which, radio wise, is the essential part of the song.
I masked the doubling act by creating a small break, where the then added vocoder voice additionally comes in.
(Love the Vocodizer!, but the idea came from the guitarist, to get an audible link to computer/gaming sound.)

I regret the terrible synth piano-with-reverb, but it was a given thing.

There was only a second voice available for the end piece, so I three-doubled the lead voice and mixed it as a choir by detuning and different eq-ing, as for the end part as well.

The long 'intro' part, with it's lower volumes, needed it's own master compression, to hold up with the 'classic' rock end.
Not really classic by the way, the drums during that part stay in 'continuous ride cymbal mode' without further action.
I couldn't miss that airy cloud of highs over the mix, but those cymbal attack peaks tend to sit in your ears.
With PsyQ in the master it was easy to exactly determine the level ánd frequency of the ride cymbal highs (to my taste).
I love that plug-in :)

- The closed hihat btw differs dramatically in volume per attack, this however was originally intended by the drummer.

- I had to cranck up the highs on almost every part. It makes those highs a bit raw, at higher volumes.

- I think the lows can use a bit extra. But I have the kick and bass guitar in balance, so that would be easy to fix.

Njoy :)
astroman

Re: Game Freak mix

Post by astroman »

in fact... very 'intelligent', a bit hard to follow, but I like the parts - even the 'lofi' piano :D
(fits better than a modern supa-grand)
good job on the mix

cheers, Tom
hubird

Post by hubird »

Thanks Tom :-)
You could be right about that piano btw.
You would expect more virtuosity then, more than shown in the mix ;-)
astroman

Post by astroman »

no virtuosity, please... :D
what I liked about the piano sound was it's definite clearness, really well defined and not harsh at all
it's reverb was somewhat 80s like - that gives it a specific touch of course

cheers, Tom