samplemodeling flute

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

samplemodeling flute

Post by kensuguro »

I heard the demo and I had to get it. Samplemodeling is a happening developer man.. The flute uses their new SWAM engine. I have no idea what it's doing. Their older stuff used Kontakt and somt strange scripting that caused Kontakt to all sorts of strange things if I loaded more than one samplemodeling instrument per Kontakt instance.. Anyway, the input analysis on SWAM is amazing. It shows me exactly what articulation it's detecting from the wind controller, and it's darn accurate. Overblow, legato, various attack levels.. I guess it selects the right samples and also somehow connects the notes depending on the articulation. But the output is amazingly natural and organic.

I played some funkish flute.. it's not really meant to be a finished anything, I just kept improvising till I got something half decent. I still don't have the ewi fingering down to the point where I can be fully effective at improvising, but all in good time I guess. You can really hear where I'm looking for the half note fingerings.

About the flute.. I guess I really like the flute. Like the instrument itself. I learned to play the chinese bamboo flute for a show, and it was a transformative experience for me. Ever since then the flute's had a special place in my heart.. but just real flutes. I've always thought synth flutes were a joke, even more so after learning how to play a real one. The samplemodeling one tho, I felt I could really play like the real thing. I mean, it doesn't really translate all the breath nuances, but good enough to the point I can just concentrate on playing and making music and not think about "making it sound believable". The fact that it has overblow is what makes is feel so natural. I mean, the overblow behaves realistic to the point of almost being able to play an octave higher with just overblow. Only thing missing I'd say is pitch dependence on breath strength, which I think is more of a limitation of breath controllers in general. But implementing that would make playing much more challenging. (like a real instrument)
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

garyb

Re: samplemodeling flute

Post by garyb »

it sounds really nice.

it does sound very artificial, but music can definitely be made with it.
hubird

Post by hubird »

nice Ken :)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I don't know about the flute but I know for Samplemodeling sax, trumpet & trombone and I can tell you that they are the best libraries for those instruments at the moment.
So If the flute is made with the same quality, it must be very good.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <