quality time with general midi

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

quality time with general midi

Post by kensuguro »

I might have brought this up before, but a guilty pleasure of mine is playing around with the EMU 2mb GM soundfont. (one that shipped with soundblaster awe)
I've messed with different sound font players, but have recently converted it to kontakt nki patches.. some patches are broken so at least in kontakt I can fix them. Not really to make them sound good, but just so they're functional. I mean, the whole point is that it has to sound like it came out of a soundblaster.

Anyway, a tiny arrangement trying to figure out a way to keep GM relevant. It's kind of hard to not let the patches dictate the composing style.. it all just ends up being pretty retro.. I think the fact that you cant have any track effects makes everything sound early 90's. So you don't rely on track effects to make the song sound cool.. and so you rely on melodic treatments and drum rolls.. aaaand, ya, that puts us pretty much at the pre vst 3 reverbs on every track era.

btw, this is straight out of kontakt, with just kontakt's chorus on aux1 and reverb on aux2. (trying to stay true to GM standard) But I've got a handful of master channel effects on it so it doesn't sound like garbage.
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

dante

Re: quality time with general midi

Post by dante »

Not bad. Why not try it with the 8MB GM AWE soundfont ?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

worth a try. I also tried SFZ+ and it seems to play back the sf2 files better so might switch it over.
Marco

Post by Marco »

It doesnt matter with what you play, it only matter what you play, and what you play is really cool music themes.keep it up man!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!