streets of rage old school house arrange

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

streets of rage old school house arrange

Post by kensuguro »

Hope people in the US had a great July 4th. I spent some time doodling with synths.

This is is a tune from a game called Streets of Rage, by my favorite game music guy Koshiro Yuzo. I played it from memory with the intent to arrange the hell out of it so it's only very loosely related to the original.

original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LyQPbAUuY8

Goes through a classical house arrangement with the compressed pianos and all, then wanders off into other styles but mostly house. Still have my headphones at work so couldn't do reverb fine tuning. Mixed pretty much just with genelec 8030a.
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

53E7

Re: streets of rage old school house arrange

Post by 53E7 »

This is really nice. I love the old school house vibe. You took me back to 1992 for a few minutes! If you were to keep working on this……. at 1:44 into the song it would be REALLY nice if you had that synth sweep lead into a complete dropout and then just have the electric piano riff for a 8 and then build it up slowly with a kick + electric piano for another 8, and then keep building from there. I’d also drop the electro part at around 2:40. It just seems out of place. With house, often less is more (of course that’s all just my opinion).
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

thnx. The electro part is definitely a result of hopping around styles a bit too much. The prog house part fits well, but I guess the electro part doesn't really fit well in the "house" context. I tried it as a more of a general "well, it's 4 on the floor" kinda concept. But ya, while doing the electro part, I really couldn't find any way to tie it back to the original (had to twist the melody to make it fit), or anything house, so got stumped, and stopped working on it.

Also, good catch on the structure. It's definitely not laid out optimally as a house track, I'll need to go back and think about the build up, breaks etc since as it stands I was more concerned with putting all the melodies from the original.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Nice one Ken. Cool & chilled out as well as being upfront. I like it
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

Atari style, nice Ken :)
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/