I Am Love (featuring Veela)

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neil B

I Am Love (featuring Veela)

Post by Neil B »

I don't get to finish many tracks for some reason nowadays, but I've enjoyed doing this one.
I'd appreciate some feedback as usual, particularly on mix quality.

Uses:
Scope 4.5 mixers & some scope effects
Cubase 4.5
Kontakt 3, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Trilian and a whole bunch of samples
Vocals courtesy of Veela

For some reason I can't help feeling Kensuguro will like this one (??!!) Don't know why

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

kensuguro

Re: I Am Love (featuring Veela)

Post by kensuguro »

nice, progressive and dark. stylishly done. I like it! Veela? You recorded with Veela?
hubird

Post by hubird »

nice clubby track, love it :-)
omnisphere does a great job.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Your song sounds pretty cool, really nice Neil! As a mix, it is very balanced, but I miss a little more depth in the lows. I am talking about applying something like Crysonic BV2, which is pretty cool for this kind of situations. But don’t apply a plugin like this one on the whole of the track, it may easily go to the other extreme and make it too deep. I mean, apply it to the drums and the bass, that’s it. The rest, for me, it’s pretty well balanced.

As a personal taste, I would like to add, now and then, some sync delay to the voices, and eventually, well chosen, I would add an endless delay to the voice and would let it die slowly through the track, in the word “eternally”, in 3:53, that would be a cool effect.

By the end, I would like a distant, soft distorted guitar lead spinning around, in an atmospheric way.

Keep going friend! :wink:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

kensuguro wrote:nice, progressive and dark. stylishly done. I like it! Veela? You recorded with Veela?
Thanks so much for that Ken. I chose not to mention the genre, so I must be on track that you mentioned "progressive".
I don't think I've EVER had the word "stylishly" linked to my music :D

And yes, Veela.

Check the link (I have a couple more tracks with her underway)
You didn't really think she'd record with someone who's 60 this year did you? :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the feedback Huub - hey, Jan wants to know what happened to your famous smileys !!
Omni only played a small part in this. Kontakt & RMX (with very bent melodic phrases) formed the backbone, with quite a lot of real time recording on keyboards (piano etc) - 30 stereo tracks in all, 12 group tracks and so on.

Again, Nestor, thanks for comments. I agree the vocal processing could be improved. This was probably the 3rd or 4th mix and I had to pull the bottom end back a bit from earlier mixes.
Promise to try harder next time :D
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Oops, the link didn't appear for some reason.

Google Black Octopus Veela
hubird

Post by hubird »

Neil B wrote: hey, Jan wants to know what happened to your famous smileys !!
See, that's why Planetz (Scope) needs more female users :D

(multiplied just for the summing effect, which often was the clue : - )
It fits soly on a 19" screen.

Image ........................................ Image

.................................................................. Image

Image ........................................ Image
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Ahh, Huub
How kind of you. That is really sweet :D

I'll think of you when I get my box of chocs out tonight

Janice
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice job Brotha' Man Neil... :wink:
hubird

Post by hubird »

hehe :D

My pleasure, Janice :)
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Lol, a samplepack ej. She definitely gets around. Tho i wouldn't have been surprised if you actually recorded with her since she seems to hop around recording projects alot, whether it be through remixes or cameo "featuring" credits. She has a nice voice.

Looking forward to your other veela tracks!
scopus

Post by scopus »

i am love this song! really beautiful soothing music and voice, more of this please :)
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

dawman wrote:Nice job Brotha' Man Neil... :wink:
A compliment from Jimmy - ta mate - much appreciated.
kensuguro wrote:Lol, a samplepack ej. She definitely gets around. Tho i wouldn't have been surprised if you actually recorded with her since she seems to hop around recording projects alot, whether it be through remixes or cameo "featuring" credits. She has a nice voice.

Looking forward to your other veela tracks!
I've been playing around with Vocal Forge and Vocal Foundry for a while and decided to see what else was out there.
I have to admit to never having heard of Veela. I think they call it ARI or Age Related Ignorance.

Don't hold your breath for the next track - Summer's (supposedly) here :D
scopus wrote:i am love this song! really beautiful soothing music and voice, more of this please :)
Thanks Scopus - again much appreciated. I'm sure "more willl come" but as mentioned above - don't hold your breath :D
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Nice one :)

Only thing i could note is i think the stabs (in example, from 1:16) gets a bit muddy, or dominant in the low mids, especially on the third chord. If you dont want to EQ too much, maybe try playing around with automating the reverb send or delay feedback, during the phrase?

But its nitpickig, i like the tune a lot :)

Edit: it sort of balances out when the filter is opened, so it just might be a coinsidence with a certain filter setting, not sure.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

next to nothing wrote:Nice one :)

Only thing i could note is i think the stabs (in example, from 1:16) gets a bit muddy, or dominant in the low mids, especially on the third chord. If you dont want to EQ too much, maybe try playing around with automating the reverb send or delay feedback, during the phrase?

But its nitpickig, i like the tune a lot :)

Edit: it sort of balances out when the filter is opened, so it just might be a coinsidence with a certain filter setting, not sure.
If you ever decide to sell your ears, please PM me first !! :lol:
You are right of course and it is the filters. However I was more focussed on the perceived volume of the sound being louder as the filters opened, so I was concentrating on trying to compress that somewhat.
I noticed today that one piano note is slightly off in terms of timing.
Overall though, I'm happy with the final mix compared to years of previous mixes (an improvement) and as you say, for a hobbyist, it is nitpicking. I think if I'd have cured that, I'd have found something else ad infinitum and ad nauseum and the track would never have been finished.

Glad you liked it though.