Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Post by dante »

Remix of David Bowie's 1984 with altered lyrics reflecting the state of music technology in the 1980's for gear conscious musicians.

https://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/1984-1
astroman

Re: 1984

Post by astroman »

the sound is just a cool eighties cover, but your lyrics are priceless :o :D

enjoyed it, Tom

ps: I remember Softmachine rewrote the lyrics of Moon in June for a radio gig with John Peel, making the gig itself the song theme...
(linked the altered version)
hubird

Post by hubird »

holy sh*t, Softmachine...
I seldom meet people even having heard of them.
One of those pearls from the past, in an area when you could have reasonably succes with extremely original musicionship.
In an interview with basplayer Hugh Hopper I read that he didn't even realize the switching between timestamps at the time.
If you need a few extra beats in the composition you just put them in, so to speak.

Listening to the link of yours it's hard to imagine anyone today would understand what's all about.
I even can't get it clear to myself how I was able to consume this music as if it was normal stuff.
It just was there and I loved it, and many young scloolers loved it and knew it.

Imagine, in my small birth city there was typical youth center of the time, with a completely whight room (yes, In a White Room) with nothing in it except a pickup player at the wall for who wanted to put on something.
It was normal to have the 4 tracks of of the 2LP 'Third' heard in one session, each side one track of 25 minutes.
The same for Ummagumma, another weird but great adventure which is unthinkable today I guess.

In one of my first tries to make electronic dance music I used the strange and longspead reverse (synth) bassline of the track Facelift I think.
Will see if I can find the old DAT tape where it's on, I could post it here.
Yes, DAT tape, my Atari didn't use a harddisk :-D

Sorry for OT, Dante, I let myself go :oops:
astroman

Post by astroman »

ok, here's the text from the Peel session
you're probably more than familiar with the original one...
I had a friend at that time who lived really close to school, so with an hour off (or just bored...) we went over, had a smoke (did we really ?)... :D
Third was one of the favourite records and my 2nd influence to get me a bass, after Motown.
(I'm still light years from those players, but I have fun)
anyway, music was in fact less 'consumed' than today, no skipping of tracks, stuff to listen was precious and exiting
... and now straight back into the eighties... 8)

cheers, Tom
hubird

Post by hubird »

:-)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

hubird wrote:holy sh*t, Softmachine...
Wow,- they were my favourites late 60s early 70s already when I was a teenager !
I´m still a big fan of Alan Holdsworth.

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Holdsworth is the giant Ear with chops kind of guy.
Saw him with Jack Bruce, Billy Cobham, David Sanctious when I was a kid and have always loved the way that guy played.
Wish I could get GaryB to shake him out of his tree and come work in Vegas doing music again.
We are FINALLY seeing the death of Classic Rock Tributes. Yes I love them, but I am beyond burnt as they are as numerous as Elvis sightings now, and a large percentage of them really suck, and they're sequenced and still suck.
Kids would come by and ask me where we bought the tracks that had the vocals deleted.
I told them we actually played the parts and they thought we were hiding something.

Maybe someday in the future kids will practice an instrument w/o quitting from a lack of instant gratification.
Nice job Dante... I was a punk in his early 20's then, back when the most fun gigs were in SoCal. Now, they have what they call Concerts there in someones parents basement where they play pre recorded loops and add their own vocals in REALTIME...... :o :lol:
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:Holdsworth is the giant Ear with chops kind of guy.
Saw him with Jack Bruce, Billy Cobham, David Sanctious when I was a kid and have always loved the way that guy played.
He kills,- coming from playing violin.
Tony McAlpine is one of these too ...
Guitarists who played or play violin have different tone and phrasing.

I´ve see Holdsworth w/ Chat Wackerman and a bassist (forgot the name but IIRC it was the brother of one of both) in a trio.
Holdsworth played also the Synthaxe triggering an Oberheim Xpander it running thru Rocktron analog 6-tap Prochorus.
Sounded awesome and he played his a## off on guitar and Synthaxe.
dawman wrote: Wish I could get GaryB to shake him out of his tree and come work in Vegas doing music again.
Does that mean you played w/ Gary on guitar in Vegas in the past ?
dawman wrote:
Nice job Dante...
Yes Dante,- I´ve just listened to that version again,- it´s entertaining !!!

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

astroman wrote:the sound is just a cool eighties cover, but your lyrics are priceless :o :D enjoyed it, Tom
Thanks.
astroman wrote:ps: I remember Softmachine rewrote the lyrics of Moon in June for a radio gig with John Peel, making the gig itself the song theme...
(linked the altered version)
LOL ! that was funny. :lol:
Bud Weiser wrote:Yes Dante,- I´ve just listened to that version again,- it´s entertaining !!! Bud
I wasn't happy with the lead vocal, it was a bit out of my range, so I re-did it to a backing track slowed down a minor third, then chipmonked the vocal back up again. Still doesn't sound like Bowie, but hopefully helps the humour :)
Marco

Post by Marco »

The vocals make me scared :o
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
AlfordCheri

Post by AlfordCheri »

I love that 80s sound so much. It's such a pity that I was a kid in 80s