Neverending Story - a classical movie score composition

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

peksi

Neverending Story - a classical movie score composition

Post by peksi »

Dear friends and collegues, may I present a drop of my heart blood. Close your eyes and join me for a Neverending Story.

https://soundcloud.com/pekkakuronen/nev ... ory-2013-1

And do not stop at the first fadeout.

Pekka
dawman

Re: Neverending Story - a classical movie score composition

Post by dawman »

Nice work, lot's of dynamic tension and resolution.
hubird

Post by hubird »

yes, and great mixing also :-)
peksi

Post by peksi »

Thanks guys
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

nice mix. It's a nice melody, you might want to make your flute dude breath at some point. The melody already has some breath points you can use.

Also, aside from the harmony, you could adding some counterpoint lines to the melody that stand out from the more "comping" lines since they sound like block chords. They may also sound like block chords because the sound if very homogenous. Not sure how your vsti works, but you can decrease the section size, but bring them up front.. so if there are 4 violas, you can hear all 4 separately.

And the overall, if you can modulate dynamics, it'll be good to group the instruments by function, and then get their dynamics synced. (and ultimately, with the melody) Sounds like you got a good lib there, so should be able to handle detailed dynamics changes right. (ewqlso?) Either way, these are details that perhaps other people don't really mind. I do lots of strings so I understand I'm much more particular about these things. (there are a few symphonic people on Z)
dawman

Post by dawman »

LASS 2.0 and Solid State here....If I were to guess I'd say Hollywood Strings. :-?
peksi

Post by peksi »

Kengsuguro thanks for the constructive info. That's what I want to hear.

I did try counter melodies with brass section answering to the flute to make it swing but I could not make it sound good so I just forgot about it as my deafness increased during the process... so that sounds like version 2 after I have fresh ears again.

Almost every instrument does dynamic changes but usually very lightly. With the exception of low brass that really blows of steam at the higher parts.

I've used Spitfire Audio's Albions 1-3 in that. It has a great sound out of the box but the staccatos and fast runs need some tweaking. I did the staccatos with 3 separate tracks and a flute track with timing corrections.

Next on the like would be a little more oriental style and I try and use a real singer. Let's see if it qualifies to public use.... I've never done vocal mixing before :)

edit: all hints for female vocal mixing very welcome