G.O.S.T. Harmonic Effects System..

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

G.O.S.T. Harmonic Effects System..

Post by dawman »

Here's an mp3. where 2 x Dynomic's were used.
I used MIDI to set up the fundamental frequency, and the rest is a result of upper frequency modulations from CC controllers on my KS88. I also used the drawbars to dampen certain freq's as well.
There's a pdf that explains things much better than I can, as I am not a scientist.
But the sounds this box gets is very unique.
Wah-Wah type of effects on my Guitar libraires is awesome also.
One can use a mic into the AExt input and select it as a controller instead of MIDI.
Really cool stuff.
I am just getting started w/ these devices.
zangsta

Re: G.O.S.T. Harmonic Effects System..

Post by zangsta »

Wow...that´s the type of synth-sounds that have me spellbound....I love it !!

Zangsta
dawman

Post by dawman »

This is far from completed and the timing of the reversed loops is a mathematical approach which is still eluding me. I could put the audio into Reaper and Cubsae 4.1 and splice into a file, but I value plugs for their realtime use, and hence record stereo into VDAT, if it sucks, let it be. I will figure it out on further attempts.
I used Solaris and an insert effect slot where SpaceF's Dualizer can load the mono Dynomic on the left and right channels. Then added the incredible SAW distortion plug on selected frequencies, and then the 966k Reverse Audio Buffers, which are also incredible loopers w/ zero zippers when changing speeds of the delay and tail in realtime. I will try those again alone, and the SAW alone too as it is a great distortion plug on sampled content too. Sounds very analog and warm.
By attaching MIDI CC's to buttons on the controller I can toggle between loops and reverse on the Speed Echo. The audio must be 32bit Integer as it is as good as the live fidelity and indistighuishable when played back form the original source.
Anyways, this is an ongoing experiment and as soon as I figure out and perfect the timing of stored buffers, I will explain how I use it live.
These plugs are nothing like anything else we have. Audio enthusiasts will love the way they can dissect certain frequencies on Dynomic and alter them with one of the many inserts available. It has an audio input mode, panel mode, and even a MIDI Input mode.
It really needs a video to demo properly as it is in constant motion, and the sliders, knobs and meters are very precise.
They are large in terms of GUI surface and rightly so as they have so many features
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

---sounds incredible!!
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

really awesome sounds...
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

yes this sounds really good. :)
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Hi Jimmy

Hows the DSP usage of those GOST fx? 7dsp here atm :(
dawman

Post by dawman »

I know these are really Audio Tools but once I heard some of the freaky shit I could do I couldn't stop. Every new insert reveals new timbres, and they are suprisingly light as far as DSP usage is concerned. For a Guitarist using Dynomic with well placed Saw's in the inserts, it's a really analog sounding Hendrix type of distorted Wah-Wah. A real Guitar will be used this weekend, but on Six-String and my sampled stuff I can even make an Acoustic Guitar sound like Foghat or that 70's/80's big stack. The developer explained to ne how Dynomic could get feedback, but I just pretended that I knew what he was talking about.
Way Too Scientific for my meger knowledge.

Brotha' Man Next to nothing,
I simply took Solaris out of the project and reloaded what I used for the last recording and stopped.
Dynomic requires the most DSP's, the Saw and the 966k Speed Echo use next to nothing ( no pun intended :lol: ) and I could load tons of those w/o seeing the meter hardly rise. I believe the Echo devices they make are tied to the RAM, but even then I had 8 loaded and all working w/o any overflows. The Loops would just keep playing and I would reverse some and leave others alone as they droned on in infinity. Pretty amazing stuff.

I will be messing with these things every chance I get until I nail 'em.
The jpeg below shows an extra input for a mic pre source that can really do neat tricks. One can use his voice to alter the harmonic structure !! Neat shit, I will try this stuff this weekend as well. I have a week off to play with stuff. My first test will be the mic'd Leslie into this to see what a doppler effect will do to the sound of my synth coming in from the other MIDI and Audio triggering choices.
It helps me forget about the endless months of anticipation and agony I have endured. :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's the SAW used ever so lightly w/ Six-String.
One Dualizer again w/ 2 x Dynomic's and SAW Inserts, and the Looper on Dynomics output inserts.
Using Velocity to control the Harmonics. Hard strikes bring out a larger " Q " sound of a Wah=Wah.
There are so many ways to control the inserts and the sounds.
When I use other Distortion plugs I can't get near the control I can get with this.
Playing 3 note poly doesn't get all grunged out like other plugs.

A real Guitar is definately needed to check these babies out better.

I uploaded the wrong mp3, so I'll just stick in the one I did before work last night. It's a good demo as it has left hand parts seperate then adds the entire licks.
Mahavishnu had the most hypnotic Guitar parts which were perfect for this device.
zangsta

Post by zangsta »

Sounds good basically, but something produces crackling, just slightly, and in the left channel.

It´s not far from sounding like a real guitar...maybe less bottom (bass) and a more generally guitar-like eq (or a speaker-simulation perhaps...) and noone would hear the difference in a mix...

Zangsta
dawman

Post by dawman »

Agreed,
Glad a well versed Guitarist chimed in.
I am fascinated by the amount of variations I can get with these plugs, but I haven't figured out how to tame the crackle yet.
If I were to use a Spectrum Analyzer would it find the hostile freq's so I could zero in on them w/ a Limiter maybe?
I am trying to tame things by decresing levels but when I play with lower db's where the Saw's are located the sound changes which is not my intention. Using less of the Saw's effect ( wet/dry ) doesn't work either, which leads me to think it is the placement of the Saw, so I will keep tweaking away.
One thing's certain though, these devices wrap their effect around the audio source like a hardware reverb. That particular Six-String preset sounds lifeless and static until it goes through the plugs.

Thanks For Your Input. :wink:

Sorry Stardust You Beat Me Before I Submitted.

Actually the developer says it's a wave cutter that creates distortion.
I am quite lame on scientific discussions, but I can only assume that they have a different approach as I can't play multiple notes on most distortion plugs w/o getting that undesirable raspy sound. Even Six Strings Distortion I find irratatingm as well as the B2003.

On a real B3 the mnore notes you played the more gurgly your saturation becomes and it serves as a great dynaic as more poly can alter the tone. Most distortion plugs are just noy dynamic and have a basic off/on type of use, which is foul to me.
The Tube stuff we have sounds better to me than the distortion plugs.
I guess Saw strips away harmonic content leaving a more natural type of distortion, but don't quote me.

I know I can get some great Buzzy Leslie horn stuff like Deep Purple and Steppenwolf using this and will probably become a permanant plug in many areas of future projects. When I use it SATEQ or FAT II's it gets really full quick.
Last edited by dawman on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Good Idea.

There are so many ways to use this thing, I will be off tonight since we switched our schedule to dark on Tuesday, so I will bust Dynomic and Saw's balls all frickin' night till I get it right.
Funny thing, using a Solaris pizzacato preset and stretching the envelopes further to emulate a Guitar string this thing sounds incredibly good emulating the 100 watt Marshall stack. Leads are far from desirable but the 3 fingered power chord thing is incredible. Makes me play Hiway Star by Deep Purple over and over, throwing what little hair I have left to and fro. :D
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Very nice effect!

I can't help but wonder if we could get the same result using the Cross-over plug-in and putting a couple of filters on the outputs.

It warms my heart to see that you like Mahavishnu like me, Jimmy :)
Are we listening?..
dawman

Post by dawman »

I was playing Guitar back then, but converting the licks to keys was fun.
I also discovered the Chorus effect of the Six-String was causing the crackling. Also discovered that plug has a few bugs with saving the delay enabled to every preset.

I am currently using these marvellous devices as presets inside of Solaris's Insert FX Rack.
It's pretty sweet being able to save reverse stuff and have it recalled accurately. Reminds me of the Oberheim Echoplex, only no limits with storage RAM.

The sounds above are only a fraction of the tones these devices are capable of. I am still fascinated by the Saw's way of stripping/cutting a waveform down to distortion. I have no idea how that works, but it does. Then the ability to place this device in an insert of a certain harmonic is so unique to me.

I like it so much I am experimenting with external audio sources. Presets can be very complex and must be saved, and the DSP resources you'd think would be staggering, but actually very small. In other words these are well developed tools, I wonder where these guys have been or who they are for that matter. The developer loves Joe Zawinul and that's where our first contact was created. Another hero of mine from dyas gone by.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Correctamundo Brotha' Man Stardust,
The Poly knob is critical for polyphony of 4 voices or more.
The distortion in Saw is so pretty in the samllest amounts, then the wet dry selection on their outputs can be applied more effectively.
I shall do more Mahavishnu and and see what the poly level produces. Since that sound is what is motivationg me. McLaughlin and Zawinul used wah-wah's for frequency control more than the wah-wah sound, and it also created some unique distortion effects.
I am trying to recreate the Jews Harp Bluegrass instrument today in Solaris using it's Modular routing. You are going to love Solaris 5.0. I am thankful for JB allowing me to use it, as it is a whole new beast IMHO. Having that and it's hardware equivalent arriving simultaneously would overwhelm my meger programming abilities.