some vocal jazz

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Josephine Baker à l'envers (je viens de regarder Odette Toutlemonde hihi). I love Noémie's voice but she needs a bit more work on breathing.

Lullaby of Birdland is just too full of notes that are off and most of the first verse's words are untelligeable. Do it again because you just cannot submit this one as it stands. The feeling is almost just right. Maybe you were not warmed up properly?

Night and Day should be sung in a lusher way. Plus de velours, plus de bras caressants autour de ton amoureux.

The Man I love is close to perfect. Take care of the pronunciation of "the" because it sounds like "duh".

In a sentimental mood is a hard one and is rendered beautifully but needs warming up a bit more to hit that high note more assuredly in the reprise.

One thing that is noticeable to me is that Noémie is following the piano and not the other way around. Not good. She is the soloist here. Take more heed to the words and their meaning. A singer must play the part meant by the poet in order to have credibility.

Once more with feeling! :)
Are we listening?..
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

Hello Paul, next time i come to montreal we have to meet :)
paulrmartin wrote:most of the first verse's words are untelligeable.

The Man I love is close to perfect. Take care of the pronunciation of "the" because it sounds like "duh".

Take more heed to the words and their meaning. A singer must play the part meant by the poet in order to have credibility.
well, she's french but you know what? i don't give a flying fuck about her pronounciation. Although all you say is true, these are overdone standard jazz songs and are just meant to be part of a demo to get gigs in bars so.. we chose to do them with what we got (and boy can she sing!). I posted them here merely to display the sheer quality of vdat

thank you so much for your feedback :) :)
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

If you had mentioned gigs in bars, I would have probably said the same thing about the pronunciation. :lol:

GIve me a shout when you come out :)
Are we listening?..
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

I hear you but this is not montreal, this is paris :) she's working on it though
MikeRaphone

Post by MikeRaphone »

i cannot "fucking" open anything, some French site opens and no music... but i am really interested :)
May all sentient beings achieve liberation from suffering :)
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Page suspended by moderation team?

Did Normie's cristaline voice break their monitors? :lol:
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

I'm in tears :lol:

WTF?????

haha, I'll try to find out what went on and get back here

vheers

edit: ok it's back. It seems orange doesn't like files to be 'hidden'; you have to have an index.htm that references all files up there :roll:
eliam

Post by eliam »

Good work on that! English diction is quite something, I just got myself a diction coach for that exact purpose of polishing my pronunciation. Man does it help! It's night and day (!). For us frenchies english speaking is a whole new territory, where small things make a big difference.

Sincerely, I hardly understand anything that is sung in these tunes. It might be secondary but still, a song should be carried by its words, I think. I'd like the voice to be more velvety sometimes, as Paul said, more enveloping and less edgy. And I must say...: the vibrato is too much, probably a classical by-product. I find it nice when properly applied, in some specific passages, but not on every note on every song. That's me being picky... 8) Excuse the unwarranted critic...

A nice recording anyhow, congrats! Who plays the piano?
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

we hired two pianists to do it.. lets see if you guys can guess on who's side of which bed they woke up ;) and you are right, there is a LOT of work to be done at the pronunciation/interpretation level.. but cut me a break, don't you like that sound?

creamware fucking rules
eliam

Post by eliam »

Ahah! I know, we're picky bastards, what do you expect from obsessed musicians?? :P

You can be proud of the demo Laurent, you have my permission! Just kidding...
:wink:

You let me know when you're in montreal I'd like to meet you! 8)

All the best
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

you can count on it :) and this time marc and I will try to go at the same time and do a gathering with all you fine folks.
You guys are not picky, but hey Rome wasn't built in one day :lol: . She'll be fine when she hits the stage and then get better. that demo was recorded in 2 hours tops and it was the first time they were playing together. I'm proud of her

peace
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

Hi legros,

Noémie's voice reminds me of Sheena Easton. And, I loved her secretly so much! :cry: ... In my opinion, Noémie' needs a hit (!) song, and practice, and practice, as she has done quite well already. These are nice old songs, but no hits anymore - unless modified with SCOPE to (heh) hiphop, for example. I appreciate very much what you are doing in any case. Here voice is great and potentially marvelloys.

Best wishes & good luck,
Tiitu.
Last edited by Tiitu on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

Please allow me post here this video, where a young and as talented girl sings fairly high without 'breaking glass' . She has already found a style of her own, which quite well is setting her apart from most other singers (which btw is good for the sales). I don't know, if there are many other videos or demos in www.youtube.com or www.amazon.com, but there are some quite nice and personal songs on the CD:

http://www.johannakurkela.net/

---

Ok, here I found more examples of her voice processing capabilities:
http://www.johannakurkela.net//index.ph ... mitstart=8
http://www.johannakurkela.net//index.ph ... &Itemid=78

... Oh, there are many copies in youtube, like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjyzB1sqNDw
obama2008

Post by obama2008 »

Good stuff!