Deep December

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Leper

Deep December

Post by Leper »

The ideas for this came to me during a long walk in the snowy conditions here in Canada. The bleak grey sky, everything covered in white snow, the chill of the north winds blowing at my face. When I'm out walking in -20 Celsius or lower temperatures I fall into a kind of trance and realize I just have to press on, and keep going, until I reach my destination. I always see a beauty in it all though.

http://www.freakmod.ca/freakmod%20-%20D ... cember.mp3

I hope you will enjoy it :)
Witek Radomski (freakmod)
Innovation is my Inspiration!
Music @ http://www.freakmod.ca
hubird

Post by hubird »

hehe...nice ending :-D
great job you did, rhythmicly, melodicly and mixly :-D

Yet one musical remark, if you don't mind :-)
I'm not so sure about the piano solo.
I understand that it should express the I just have to press on, and keep going,.. I always see a beauty in it feeling.
However, even then I would use a less standard playing idiom.
You probably could easily alienate the solo a bit, to keep the ('big white empty') atmosphere.
More hypnoticly driven than 'warm bar groovin' ' so to say.

I once saw a jazzy improvising piano player in a skilled bluesy band expressing 'ice', the song was called cold as ice or something.
He started with long superfast hammering on the highest note, you know, those thrills.
It evolved with hard high 'spikes' thrown through it, but always rhythmically sidnificant.
There was a tuba involved also :-D
BingoTheClowno

Post by BingoTheClowno »

Captivating intro, well done!
Although I did not expect the song to take THAT turn after the 1:16 minute. :)
When you walk in -20 degrees temperatures, can you stop and reflect for second?
:-)
Leper

Post by Leper »

Thank you for your replies!

hubird,
Thanks for the nice comments :) I completely agree with you about the piano solo. I think it was a bit out of place, and a more mysterious synth line would definately suit it better. Even piano, but not in the blues scale, as you said would probably work better. I need to remember to keep all those aspects in mind when making songs. It's so easy to just resort to jamming out something you're comfortable with on the keyboard - while forgetting that it doesn't quite suit the song.

Piano & Tuba depicting ice.. sounds cool, wish I could have heard it!

BingoTheClowno,
Thanks man :) Yeah I tend to want to throw unexpected things into my music. I think it's just my ADD kicking in and wanting something different every so often :)
Witek Radomski (freakmod)
Innovation is my Inspiration!
Music @ http://www.freakmod.ca
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Great track.
I agree with the others re the piano solo but I enjoyed the rest of the track.

Around the (and up to the 1:40 mark) I fancied hearing a 70's Emerson style moogy sound adding to the cold feel of the air (just my ideas)

Anyway - enjoyed it.
summer

Post by summer »

piano is great =)
need some kick in the bd

the intro is by far some of the greatest i have heard so far. until 1.20 it's really great... need more bass after that =)