BlackBox CWM

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

roy thinnes

Re: BlackBox CWM

Post by roy thinnes »

yes it is cool, thanks!
I'm still working on that bloody clap sound, but I'll get that mf.
(its not that 10ms delay, its the noise sound.)

Jimmy for sure BB & SE-02 will be best buddies. I want one of these too. :P

sunmachine: separate preset lists for output, Midi notes, MasterVol - and all the rest?
Good idea, no problem! earmarked for the next update. :)
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

The Hats are very nice ...

I had some trouble sculpting the BD - until finally, I figured out that the main decay knob for the BD interacts with the decay knobs in the BD config section .....
Working on Presets .... ;)
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

generally, the white controls in the main window (tuning, decay etc.) are offsets to the parameter values in the instruments' edit windows.
the range of these offset values is not too big, to have a better on-hands-control for quick editing.

but this also means that, for example, if your bd has a very long decaytime (say 3000ms), maybe you won't hear any difference if you move the decay knob in the main window (because the offset value is too small).
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

a little xmas update, just in time.
-improved clap sound
-sd filter bug removed
-extra preset list just for sound edit (no masterVol, pan, midiNN, output setting)
-output can be set to main, individual, and main+ind.
merry xmas!
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

Rockin !!!!

Thank you and have a Wonderful and Merry Christmas!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks, Roy ! :)
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks for this fantastic device Roy, and once again your generosity is most appreciated. I look forward to trying the latest update as soon as I can. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)
borg

Post by borg »

very nice device!!! definitely my favourite drum machine in Scope, in fact for years I have only used native for drums/percussion.

if you're still looking for suggestions, I'd humbly ask for mutes for all instruments, preferably not at the end of the sound generators, but rather before, so sounds can finish their envelope. There probably are ways to concoct such a contraption with note on filters and mergers, maybe even in modular, but yeah, just a suggestion.

Loving it!
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

borg wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:50 pm if you're still looking for suggestions, I'd humbly ask for mutes for all instruments, preferably not at the end of the sound generators, but rather before, so sounds can finish their envelope. There probably are ways to concoct such a contraption with note on filters and mergers, maybe even in modular, but yeah, just a suggestion.

Loving it!
Perhaps with some of Roy's amazing sequencer devices? ;)
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

mute:
I almost included mute switches, but ditched it for some reason.
But, instead of note on filters etc. I'd rather use gate switches.
Anyway, I think it's an easy edit, and I'll add it when I've got time!

included sequencers?
I was thinking about that too. some thoughts:
+ I've got everything there already, it 'just' has to be connected: Ramp/audio clock, 12xgate sequencers, BlackBox; what's missing is 32step ability...
- audio seq are quite expensive dsp-wise (at least for ScopePci guys like me)
- no velocity mods; 'accent' like in the real 808 would require another dsp-hungry sequencers

so, would there be a real benefit in adding audio sequencers to BlackBox? maybe with multiple drum lanes, like this:
I don't know.
but using BlackBox together with Ableton's DrumRack & Push works quite excellent for sure :P .
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

roy thinnes wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:03 pm mute:
I almost included mute switches, but ditched it for some reason.
But, instead of note on filters etc. I'd rather use gate switches.
Anyway, I think it's an easy edit, and I'll add it when I've got time!

included sequencers?
I was thinking about that too. some thoughts:
+ I've got everything there already, it 'just' has to be connected: Ramp/audio clock, 12xgate sequencers, BlackBox; what's missing is 32step ability...
- audio seq are quite expensive dsp-wise (at least for ScopePci guys like me)
- no velocity mods; 'accent' like in the real 808 would require another dsp-hungry sequencers

I meant using your (published) sequencer devices (or other sequencing devices - e.g. DAW or sequencer APP/Plugin)
to drive the blackbox - and do the mutes on the sequencer....

(I actually haven't had the time to check out your sequencer devices in depth - but in any case - was pointing at a "modular approach" where the sequencer is a separate module and drives the black-box. ;) )
That way - you can mute the "triggers" instead of the audio .... :)

Regarding mute implementations - I don't know the SDK and not sure how your routing scheme is - but perhaps multiplying the input gate or velicity signals by [1,0] (depending on mute status) would work?
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

as it is really easy to provide instrument (midi) mutes, I just made a new BB version right away.
(old download link is still valid)

and Yogi, I don't know if I've got you correctly -
do you mean some kind of gate input for each instrument, so they can be triggered by extrenal seq devices?
this would be easy as well (I think :o ), I just have to export these gate inputs so they can be connected.
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

roy thinnes wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:20 am and Yogi, I don't know if I've got you correctly -
do you mean some kind of gate input for each instrument, so they can be triggered by extrenal seq devices?
this would be easy as well (I think :o ), I just have to export these gate inputs so they can be connected.
I actually was referring specifically to the MIDI information (e.g. in modular - the velocity output of the Midi>DVC (which takes midi and outputs a gate trigger and velocity) - or at the module that is responsible to convert this velocity or gate parameter into an audio enevelope ...

in other words - maybe you dont need to "mute" the whole incoming MIDI "noteon(+vel)+.... just zero its velocity.

P.S. Audio-based sequencing could be awesome !! (But if thats the case -- Maybe a just a stripped down 8 channel version of the SCOPESYNTH - that can route DAW MIDI (through output audio - to scope) and back to "SCOPE MIDI" - which could be routed to BlackBox (Or Plazma or a Modular ...... ;) )

But that's a different (and a WOULD BE AMAZING) story ..... ;)
(Is there such a tool in your Seq bundle? :D )
Last edited by Yogimeister on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
borg

Post by borg »

wow! Thanks a heap Roy!

I sequence exactly the way you do in Live, so a sequencer is not a must for me. Would definitely use it though, as my SFP is used as hardware in it's own box, sequencing and recording is on another computer. Sometimes I fire up Scope without the DAW, and then a sequencer would be fun, but hey, if it uses that much DSPs...

Super!
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Yogimeister wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:22 am I actually was referring specifically to the MIDI information (e.g. in modular - the velocity output of the Midi>DVC (which takes midi and outputs a gate trigger and velocity) - or at the module that is responsible to convert this velocity or gate parameter into an audio enevelope ...

in other words - maybe you dont need to "mute" the whole incoming MIDI "noteon(+vel)+.... just zero its velocity.
ok if you connect the MVC's velocity output to an envelope's LevelMod input, the level of the envelope's stages can be controlled by the (async) mod signal.
but to be tight ALL info (gate + velo) has to be sent at once.
If the loudness information is coming from a different device (sequencer) than the gate info (BB) I'm afraid it wouldn't fit together precisely.
Yogimeister wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:22 am P.S. Audio-based sequencing could be awesome !! (But if thats the case -- Maybe a just a stripped down 8 channel version of the SCOPESYNTH - that can route DAW MIDI (through output audio - to scope) and back to "SCOPE MIDI" - which could be routed to BlackBox (Or Plazma or a Modular ....
yogimeister, you're talking in riddles here. what scopesynth? :o

but anyway - a version with external gate (& some mod) inputs is on the agenda 2018, let's see :P

folks, I wish you all a

Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

I apologize if I was unclear. :D

I meant the sync devices - and got confused with ScopeSync and RackSynth ;) ( http://www.cwmodular.org/seq_devices.html )

Regarding the velocities - I am talking about an on-off modulation via some switch or multiplier (fed by a 1 or 0 mod input). -- or via a "velocity mod".

Lets consider a simple routing switch that either routs the input note velocity or 0 - to the velocity input of the sound or envelope generators.
Once you toggle this switch - all incoming notes now arrive to the generators with note-velocity=0 --- resulting in no sound (if the sound/envelope generators output no sound at velocity=0 )

In any case -- for my use of the BlackBox - this is not really a necessary feature (MIDI mute) - as I would do it via my sequencer.
- I was just trying to suggest a way to implement this "MIDI muting" ...
(I don't know the SDK - but in modular, this seemed like it would be a better approach than a switchable midi filter.)

HAPPY NEW YEAR and thanks again !
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

-a small BB update:
--LoTom, MidTom,HiTom, Rim Eq debugged
--visual Feedback

-a new BB version with gate inputs:
BlackBoxGT

if you want to use GateSequencer1 to trigger it please also download the updated version:
GateSequencer1

..and eventually I'll make some new sequencer stuff because loading + connecting 12 seq modules + clock doesn't make sense I think.
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

Woooow !!!!

Amazing!

Thank you so much for creating and sharing.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

thanks Roy
dawman

Post by dawman »

I get to play with it tomorrow.
Got some big ass Sine Portia bass sounds to try with it.

Thanks RoyT