DAWmixers

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

Re: DAWmix24

Post by Bud Weiser »

roy thinnes wrote:thanks for testing, esp. Bud giving feedback that's also working for the xite.
I'm quite satisfied with it so far. A bit downsized, but hey - if you can't get it done with 24tracks, you won't get at all.
or, to quote atom: more has been done with less :)
HNY Roy !

I was quiet for some time, but meanwhile I´ve found the 24-channel version much more usable on XITE-1 than the 32-channel version.
When using the 32-channel version, I run out of SAT connections soon on XITE-1, SCOPE 5.1, Win XP SP3 32Bit.
In fact, the mixer, MIDI monitor, 4-In MIDI merge, HPM control pack, more than 4 ASIO channels In and WAVE source stereo bring XITE-1 on it´s knees here.
The other stuff is just only 2 sequencer MIDI source/destinations, 6 channels ASIO back to sequencer, XITE MIDI I/O and analog I/Os, mic/DI source, phones destination.
No synths, no FX loaded.

weird ...

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
dawman

Re: DAWmix24+DAWmix32

Post by dawman »

Bud have you tried using DSP assignments on Source and Destination Modules prior to loading the DAWMix 32...?
I always assign these to strict duty.
I run out of connections using the 16 outs of the STM 1632 but DSP Assigned Source and Destination modules to DSP 1 and 2 depending if they're ASIO or not seem to really help out.
Corrupted projects retain high DSP counts on DSP 1 and 2 sometimes requiring a total rebuild of the project.
I've learned many odd work arounds after 6 1/2 years of non stop performing.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:Bud have you tried using DSP assignments on Source and Destination Modules prior to loading the DAWMix 32...?
I always assign these to strict duty.
I run out of connections using the 16 outs of the STM 1632 but DSP Assigned Source and Destination modules to DSP 1 and 2 depending if they're ASIO or not seem to really help out.
Corrupted projects retain high DSP counts on DSP 1 and 2 sometimes requiring a total rebuild of the project.
I've learned many odd work arounds after 6 1/2 years of non stop performing.
Hi, HNY !

No I didn´t try that.
Why ?
Well,- I have a humble project I start with and which is always the same.
It loads when I launch SCOPE 5.1 w/XITE-1, some derivate of new project.pro

There are following objects in the environment:

XITE MIDI I/O, analog I/O, AES/EBU I/O, ADAT A I/O, ASIO 32 float w/ 4 channels In (main out from Studio One or Reaper and main out from Reason) and there are 2 sequencer MIDI sources and destinations as well as Mic/DI module and phones destination module.
Pre-loaded devices are:
Midi-Monitor and Midi-Merge (4in1), HPM control pack, Shroomz Can Control.
Most objects are not connected because there´s no mixer at that point.

That´s what I need always and don´t know if manual DSP assignment makes sense because when re-loaded, SCOPE re-shuffles anyway, isn´t it ?

But, ONCE LOADED, I decide for a mixer according to my needs, later and when all is connected, save as different project w/ different name.

So, you mean, when I load that project mentioned above, it would be helpfull manually re-assigning SCOPE I/O objects every time once loaded and even most not being connected ?

What, when looking at the objects above, would you put on DSP#1 and what on DSP#2 ?

OTOH, I still wonder why I was able creating large synth projects using STM2448X without manual DSP assignment, then running out of SAT connections late, but when using STM1632X, it was more or less a nitemare.

When I tried the 32 stereo channel DAW mixer, I removed all pre-loaded devices (not I/Os) from project and saved.
Then re-loaded, loaded the mixer and loaded the HPM control pack.
When I did connections between mixer main outputs, HPM control pack inputs and outputs to XITE analog out, I already ran into the SAT connection errors and before I was able to connect any ASIO input channel to the mixer.
Also loading Can Control and doing connections was no-go.

That didn´t happen w/ the 24-channel version and same circumstances.

With the 24 channel DAW mixer, I was able running all the I/O devices, connection basic ASIO I/Os, phones, XITE-1 I/Os, then bring in different synths for testing.
Because most synths are stereo out, come w/ onboard FX already and don´t need much EQ and dynamics, I imagined that mixer might be good for that too, not only DAW tracking/mixing.

But the 32 channel version was no-go unfortunately.

Bud
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

STM2448x is optimized and placed across all of the slots (using DSP #7-10). So each DSP has fewer I/O routed to it, leaving room for inserts & no SAT errors.

STM1632 is a single DSP mixer, by default it often gets thrown on DSP 18. But since it is single DSP, all I/O through it must be routed to a single DSP, and that's when SAT issues happen.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote:STM2448x is optimized and placed across all of the slots (using DSP #7-10). So each DSP has fewer I/O routed to it, leaving room for inserts & no SAT errors.

STM1632 is a single DSP mixer, by default it often gets thrown on DSP 18. But since it is single DSP, all I/O through it must be routed to a single DSP, and that's when SAT issues happen.
thx for reply,- I see ... :(

Well, on PCI DSP card, STM 1632 was my favourite and never caused SAT errors even it´s a single DSP mixer,- and the DSPs on PCI card are theoretically 5x slower than a single DSP on XITE.

Anyway ...

Bud
sepuka

Re: DAWmixers

Post by sepuka »

Thanks, very helpful devices. Is it possible to increase the number of auxes (at least six, ideally eight) and make a button like_a_solo that would instantly connect this channel to the particular output (that will be connected to the looper)?
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

of course it's possible, but that would require hours of work.
but maybe you can already use the device as-it-is:
- maybe it's ok to use the busses (in addition to aux)
- all aux & busses have external outputs, maybe you can use these
dawman

Post by dawman »

That's exactly how to increase the amount of outputs that encapsulate assigned channels.
sepuka

Post by sepuka »

roy thinnes wrote:of course it's possible, but that would require hours of work.
but maybe you can already use the device as-it-is:
- maybe it's ok to use the busses (in addition to aux)
- all aux & busses have external outputs, maybe you can use these
I understand that it takes time, which is the most valuable resource of our life, it's only idea for distant future.

Yes, now I use aux. The idea of a separate out to the Looper - for livelooping it's important to switch quickly the recorded channel, it can be done via aux (but subtracted aux, which so few). Ideal for that would fit on the channel button with like_a_solo behavior.