DSP Optimized devices

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

djmicron

Re: DSP Optimized devices

Post by djmicron »

yayajohn wrote:
jksuperstar wrote:I was just thinking of using this scheme to get more voices from a synth.

So: a device is placed on a DSP, say a prodyssey. You get 7 voices on 1 DSP. Then you load another 7 in the DSP next door. Load the same preset into both, and link them with MIDI..so the same preset is loaded, and turning knobs in 1 with effect the other (so same MIDI map is loaded also).

We just need maybe a modular device to split the incoming MIDI notes from 14 voices into two seven voice outputs, and configure the method for dropping notes above 14.

In this way, a John Bowen Solaris, with only two voices on each DSP, could be loaded onto multiple DSPs to get more voices.

Anything else we'd need to consider to make this work?

I did something like that a while ago with Six String and SpaceF key splitter. Not sure if it is exactly what you are talking about but it worked great. Here is the topic. Scroll down a little to the pic of the project with the key splitter.

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... =+max+poly
it's something in the right direction, but we also need to manage single voices in the same way as it happens when you play polyphonic synths.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote:While the kurzweil may support this, a module could support all keyboards. If the special MVC (as I'll call it) was placed on XITE DSP 3, it'd have very low latency to each chip in the slot for dsps 7-11-15.

I'll start thinking how to get this done in the SDK.
Well, you´re right and I didn´t mean I won´t need it because I have the KURZ.
I only wanted to describe how it works when creating such device.
It should eventually not being limited to the odd and even MIDI notes transmission on 2 fixed and different MIDI channels.
It would be great it can serve for more MIDI channels as well as deviding incoming MIDI stream in more portions,- an example would be "1 out of 3" / "2out of 3" / "3 out of 3" and so on.
In this example, 1st note played on MIDI channel 1, 2nd played on MIDI channel 2 and the 3rd played on MIDI channel 3, or better,- on any pre-definable channels (a re-channelizing function).

So, when dealing w/ 2 notes and note separation, "odd and even" is easy and transmission on orig. channel and channel n+1 is too,- but with more note separation and transmission channels, it´s a task of counting played notes in a cycle of 3+ pressed keys and "odd and even" doesn´t work anymore.

The Kurz does both !

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

djmicron wrote: it's something in the right direction, but we also need to manage single voices in the same way as it happens when you play polyphonic synths.
You mean voice assignment modes like we had in the old Oberheim 2, 4 and 8voice using SEM modules ?
That would work on the same MIDI channel b.t.w..

Bud
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

You mean voice assignment modes like we had in the old Oberheim 2, 4 and 8voice using SEM modules ?
That would work on the same MIDI channel b.t.w..

Bud
yes, midi channel is not a problem, i'm developing a midi device to manage polyphony so that we can merge many synths into one, something like the MVC, but on the midi side.
David

Post by David »

Amazing!
Totally amazing!
A huge thank you :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Bud and djMicron, thanks for considering the idea and for the additional methods you described. It has me also thinking of general CV -> MIDI modules also.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

jksuperstar wrote:Bud and djMicron, thanks for considering the idea and for the additional methods you described. It has me also thinking of general CV -> MIDI modules also.
yes, let us know if you do something that works in that direction.