D-20L RMS mastering meter

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shroomz~>

D-20L RMS mastering meter

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hello folks!

I thought I'd drop in with this little gift for you all. It's nothing too special, but as is always the case with gifts, it's the thought that counts! :D

I've called it D-20L mastering meter, but it's a little more than just a straightforward VU meter because it's built within a 4x stereo IN > 4x stereo OUT audio switcher which is essentially a lightweight control room of sorts.

The audio signal passes completely untouched from whichever stereo input you select to whichever stereo output you select, so you don't need to worry about the signal being tampered with internally.

Meanwhile, the audio signal also goes to two VU meters: A peak level meter & an RMS level meter.

You get to see both the peak & RMS meters simultaneously so that you can measure average loudness at the same time as watching your peak levels to avoid clipping. I know that this is not a new concept by any means, but the metering is quite unusual compared to other VUs because it's pure linear from only -20 to 0 dBFS, so it's designed purely for metering/measuring the top end of the audio level scale. With 0.1 dB segments, it does this job quite accurately too. :)

The signal to the RMS meters can be calibrated should you wish by using the "CAL" pot which allows +/- 6dB of gain. By default this is set to 3dB which to my understanding is calibrating the RMS meters correctly, but the CAL parameter is there for you to adjust the RMS calibration if you desire to do so.

Likewise with the RMS integration time, this is set to 600ms by default, which I believe to be the correct setting for this type of metering, but the inclusion of the parameter allows you to lower it to say 300ms (or whatever) should you wish to do so.

The peak hold parameter adjusts the peak hold time for both the RMS & the peak meters simultaneously.

I think that just about sums it up, so have a try and see what you think yourself.

PS - I hope you are all in good health !! :)
Attachments
D-20L RMS METER.rar
(84.91 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
D20Lscreenshot.png
D20Lscreenshot.png (14.54 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
garyb

Re: D-20L RMS mastering meter

Post by garyb »

great! thank you!
scopus

Post by scopus »

another great addition, thank you :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ladies & Gentlemen...........Shroomz.

Ankyu
hubird

Post by hubird »

looking good Shroomz, very usefull and well thought-out :-)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I'd love to see a Modular version like you did with High Times, but this a very nice treat.
Thanks Again....
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I like the functions, and the look, simple, no wasted space, and does everything it needs to. This is definitely replacing my control room switcher ;). I can add a test signal generator as an input. Beauty.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

dawman wrote:I'd love to see a Modular version like you did with High Times, but this a very nice treat.
Thanks Again....
I could make modular and insert effect versions, but I'm very busy and this one does what I wanted. 8)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

jksuperstar wrote:I like the functions, and the look, simple, no wasted space, and does everything it needs to. This is definitely replacing my control room switcher ;). I can add a test signal generator as an input. Beauty.
Thanks! :)

I thought It made sense to leave out the test signal generator because it gives you the option to create and tweek your test signals externally, such as the various filtering which can be applied to pink noise for increased test accuracy on certain tests.
It just seemed logical not to over-complicate the actual meter itself.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

This should come in handy thanks !
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

This is whats makes this platform epic!!, thanks! :D
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Shroomz~> wrote:Hello folks!

I thought I'd drop in with this little gift for you all.
Had no chance to log in here for a week and see this now ...
That´s too cool to have,- thx a lot !

For the case you plan updates,- would it be possible to integrate a phase correlation meter in future ?
That would be ice on the cake and I´m waiting for such a combined devices for SCOPE since I ditched my RME card and lost DigiCheck metering software on my DAWs w/ SCOPE PCI and XITE-1.
I´d pay for in a minute ...

best

Bud
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Looks super useful...why oh why must I be without my scope system for so long! grrrr Can't wait to use!

Thanks Shroomz~>
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

thanks!!!!
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

ehasting wrote:This is whats makes this platform epic!!, thanks! :D
No problem mate & thanks for your kind words about my plugins on your website! :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Bud Weiser wrote:For the case you plan updates,- would it be possible to integrate a phase correlation meter in future ?
That would be ice on the cake and I´m waiting for such a combined devices for SCOPE since I ditched my RME card and lost DigiCheck metering software on my DAWs w/ SCOPE PCI and XITE-1.
I´d pay for in a minute ...
Hi Bud,

I'll keep that in mind! :wink:

In the meantime, there's already correlation meters available for Scope. There's an old one from Stecki which is nice and simple here - http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/files/dev ... lation.zip

dawman

Post by dawman »

I have a new way of souting and Metering at the same time.
I only use 24 Channels of ASIO.
In my project they don't look as neat as this, but this demonstrates how cool this is since I hate Kontakt, SWS,
PTeq and Reaper metering. Reapers the best, but they are for the most too tiny, and inaccurate.
Below is how I would record and meter from Scope into Channel 12 of Reaper.
Pretty sweet device, don;t even need MIDI since I am recording and can just punch
in what I need.
METER ROUTING.png
METER ROUTING.png (218.96 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

Great, Thanks!
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I got the Wolf Correlation as it seems to be really accurate when changing Frequencies.
But now I can really check what is going out to the QSC 12s and the IEMs and such control really is needed for monitoring.

Thanks Again tgstgs, Shroomz and Wolf.
Total Control.PNG
Total Control.PNG (265.11 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

added to http://www.scopeportal.com/shroomz-d-20 ... ing-meter/

if anyone wants to add devices - PM me for username and password (not sure if i have mention it before :P)

All developers ... be clever - add it to the scopeportal when you are posting it to the forum! :) (hmm.. perhaps i should change my signature ...)
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org