Reloopah

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

roy thinnes

Reloopah

Post by roy thinnes »

hi there, here is the device version of the Reloopah module.
(see here)
-in order to work, a ramp signal has to be connected to the ramp input of the device. preferred method is to load a ramp wave into host sequencer (can be downloaded here) and to send it via designated Asio output to the device. (don't forget to set the correct tempo of the Reloopah device)
-controls:
--slice controls 1-16 - select the position of the slice you want. the red are the default positions
--output 1-16 (below) - the device has two pairs of outputs; select the slice output here - green=out1(default), red=out2
--dezip settings: default settings should work in most situations; if the loop contains much harmonic content, try to change/increase dezipNWRelease (default 300)
--sliceScaling: decrease slice length. when used, a gate effect is achieved; use dezipNWrelease to avoid clicks
--snap 1-18: buffers which include slice positions, dezip, sliceScaling settings.
--randomize: when first used, slice positions are initialized=all on pos.1; press again to get random slice positions
--preset list for all parameters (little icon)
--preset list just for slice positions, dezip, sliceScaling settings
download device here
download dsp file here
audio examples:
reggae(A.Pool)
EW&F+DrLoop
have fun!
ps as already mentioned - this device is a dsp hog; don't be worried if it takes some time to load!
netguyjoel

Re: Reloopah

Post by netguyjoel »

Very cool, Roy! This is outrageous! One question. Could the output of a basic Scope Wave File Player device be routed to the Reloopah. The reason I ask...I have a pretty healthy loop library collection, I have acquired over the years, and have never really used them much. I just got them for some of the samples, but came with some loops anyway. This would give me an excuse to dig them up & play w/ them. :lol: And as all ways..Thank you for all your hard work, and well done!
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

Boy it's nice being motivated from overseas......... :lol:
Just got in from the gig and set everything up and wasn't in my usual mood to practice till I fall asleep, so I will learn how to use a new device till I crash instead.
Naturally I will figure out a way to use this live if possible.
I am starting to use Modular devices live for the first time and so far 100% stability.
Glad to see a couple of new dev's this week.

Thanks Roy.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

:o
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Joel: sounds like you need Ableton Live, which is a perfect companion for Reloopah, and your loop library. if you don't own it, you can use the Reloopah module, triggered with a wave player module. I'm just making an improved version which needs 30% less dsp, and maybe will put an easy-to-use patch in the Modular Patches board.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

I'm still learning Nuendo and am probably going to make that my DAW, and I thought drag & drop devs, route audio outs of wav player to audio ins of Reloopah..insted, I should use the Reloopah module, not the dev....start w/ a stripped down modular patch w/ a Reloopah module in there (to conserve DSP...when the XITE gets here that will be no prob). Could you give me a screen shot of the modular setup for Reloopah I should use? I'm a newbie when it comes to modular stuff. I got the basics, but advanced knowledge of synthesis I don't have, a lot of guys here, smoke me. (been a drummer too freakin long :lol: )

Thanking you in advance Roy.. :wink:
Joel
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

holy cow, this is begging for me to set it up with the monome :)
will be a bit of work but it can be done!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Since I am a total moron I would appreciate a jpeg of a routing window with this device hooked up and working.
I have tried to run audio from my Wave 24bit Source module w/ no luck.
I would love to run modulated Waldorf Oscillators in realtime though this live to further distance myself from the local preset riders.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

this is a great device, can't get it running smoothly though, little clicks, the adjustments aren't helping. What could be causing that? Great job on this one. Check the loop, first time it plays through is very choppy, then it gets better but there are little clicks there, maybe as the tempo isn't perfectly matched though? The song is a little slow first half bar then picks up.
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Jimmy, you probably have not connected Midi or you didn't play a note to trigger the in-built vcaEg (w/o that the device would output forever as it has 16 endless delay loops).
don't know though if the approach you mentioned (would love to run modulated Waldorf Oscillators in realtime though this live) will have success - this device is for loops only which are in perfect tempo sync (see below)
routing (audio comes from asio 2L/R, ramp wave from audio 3L)
(hints how to use ramps for sequencing here: http://www.cwmodular.org/html/seq.html

JahServant, the "first time" clickings are caused because the delays are overwriting existing audio information, and the "old" audio isn't in sync with the tempo.
the clicks that can be heard later on in your audio loop can probably be avoided by tweaking the loop's start/end points. sometimes this does not help though because the loop doesn't match the tempo on every 16th. here is an example of an 1981loop (chic/burn hard):
original and modified.
the correction was done in Ableton Live, waveforms look like this:
Image (original)
Image (corrected)
the warp markers (1.3 to 1.4.4) represent the slices. in this case, clicks occured on slice 13 (=warp marker 1.4), so I made markers on 1.3.4, 1.4 and 1.4.2, moved 1.4 a bit and the clicks disappeared.
if this sounds like rocket science to you - all in all, simple drum loops w/o harmonics work in almost any case. with analogue/old drumloops, sometimes adjustments have to be made to avoid clicks.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks Roy.
I thought maybe it was a realtime mangler or Granular Looper like KymaX has.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

I figured it was something like that. You need the loop to be perfectly on, I thought about it as I was writing the post that's why it was my last words. This isn't something I'd use much as I don't use loops very much, but it's fun to mess around with. Maybe I'll need it some day so I always like to try the stuff out and see how it all works. Overall it's very simple it's just to chop your loop right.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Wow!! Thanks Roy! :) As if I wasn't missing my Xite-1 enough already!! :wink: The demos sound fantastic. I can't wait to try this baby out!
bizarre

Post by bizarre »

Seegurd

Post by Seegurd »

Hi. where can I download a ramp file?
the link above is dead
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

http://www.cwmodular.org/waveFiles/Ramp16Step120Bpm.wav

stone-age device. I hope it still works :P
Seegurd

Post by Seegurd »

thank you, Roy! I will try it )
at0m

Post by at0m »

For those with FleXoR, I guess the ramps can also be recorded from or generated live with flexor's ramp module
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

So. A ramp. That’s just a tiny wav that acts as a clock/metronome? For said device?

So either use the flexor ramp module.

Or just slap an upward one cycle wav on an audio channel on every beat of the bar?