Post by Jah Servant »

Now has a lo and hi freq selection for more precision
Also has a reduction meter now
Attachments
D-S.zip
(215.28 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

this seems like a nice compressor, but i'm afraid i dont understand what the hi/lo pots are for??

and one suggestion: a make up gain pot at the output would be nice, otherwise its great!
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

well it's not a regular compressor, it's for deessing, so the frequency in between the hi and low is the place that will receive the compression. This helps you to dial in the offending frequency. Since you only want to cut this frequency and leave the others unaffected there is no need for a make up gain. You can control how much it cuts with the ratio and threshold settings. So that's what it's for, otherwise use regular compressors for other stuff.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

AHA! silly me :lol:
thanks!! i really like the simple gui!
thanks!
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

Actually you could use it to compress (or really limit as this is a limiter, not a compressor, it's working on peak levels) anything over 3Khz exceeding a set threshold, say if you want to cut a certain frequency in a loud passage of a soft song then this could work good as well. For this you wouldn't need a make up gain either since the intent is to reduce.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

good! i will use this on the boomy bass end of my acustic guitar! not only a deesser, but a de boomer as well :D
thanks alot!

would be great if you could make a compressor out of this as well!!
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

this won't work on the low end of anything, it will only compress over 3Khz (the lowest setting of the lo knob), the boomy end of your guitar will be under that. It'll be better for you to eq and if you really want to compress then feed an eq to a compressor with sidechain, leaving only the frequency you want to compress coming through the eq.

If I made a compressor out of this it would be no different than the regular scope compressor really, I just made this so people could use a deesser as an insert to make the routing window a little cleaner. This is just a limiter with sidechain giving you the option to adust the frequency, you can build the same thing in the routing window and compress any frequency you want.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

ok. i didnt notice that the filter section didnt go below 3 khz. sorry. i guess my guitar problems are around 300hz... and eq doesnt seem to do the job nicely.. i often go for multiband compressing instead.. maybe my room is emphasizing certain bass frequencies. :cry:

but thanks for this d esser!
keep up the good work!