sharc

Re: BC MODULAR v0.91b

Post by sharc »

Immanuel wrote:Hi Sharc

I'm trying to make a simple patch ending up with
Linear volume attenuator
a 1:2 switch
... and then to the output

I run into an issue though. The a-sync switch connects to the attenuator - but not to the output. With the sync switch, the scenario is reversed.
The Async switch is for control signals & the linear volume attenuator is usually used in connection (Vol) with an envelope module. For audio connections, try using the sync switch along with one of the Mix Gain Modules (ie. Mix1, Amplifier 12dB, etc.).
Immanuel wrote:I believe, I've found another one. When trying to control the "mute" (it is an on-off switch) - I get this when activating. The mute apparently switch still responds - but it does not output signal in any of the positions, and it gives an error message. If I close the error message, I can on off again, and then it again gives a new error message.

Edit: The error disapears when I disconnect the volume attenuator (volume) from the on-off switch (mute). I exchanged the mute with yet another volume attenuator, and that works just fine as a mute. I guess the on-off switch is just not made for audio signals?
Another alternative in the circuit you've shown is to connect the BCM-16 (04) pad to the BCM-8 (04) pad. The only downside to this approach is that the 'Mute' button on the BCM-16 would ignore the set level on the BCM-8, as the BCM encoders are bi-directional (accept an input Val), but the buttons don't - At least not for now :wink:

As usual there are plenty of options. Again, you could use a Mix 1 module in place of the 2nd Volume attenuator. Whichever way works using the least modules is (usually) the best one.
sharc

Post by sharc »

irrelevance wrote:I'm still getting this display bug in my modular shell where all of the drop down folder menus are missing. So I'm still having to load from the file explorer.
That sounds like a problem with your cset file. If you load cset.ini (Scope\App\Bin) with Notepad and scroll down to the [StaticPath] section. Here there should be an entry for Modular (ie. Modular=c:\Scope\Modular2 Modules) if you enter the correct path (the folder your modular modules are in) here and save the Cset file the modular menu bar should should work next time you load Scope. Make sure you make a backup copy of the cset.ini file before editing it though, in case anything goes wrong.
irrelevance wrote:It doesn't look like this is possible for the circuit level module though as it doesn't stay on top when I shift focus to explorer.
The Circuit Level Module is still in the experimental stage and it does have some issues. I'll take a look at the Stay On Top side of things for the next release.
dawman

Post by dawman »

BTW Sharc,

It's awesome the way I have text appear when I hover over the I/O's.......
Additions to Modular such as this are great.
I believe you were thinking of XITE-1 when making this too.....the modules are all so compact, and each having their own little editing pop-up allow a massive amount of modules in one window...

This makes me feverish to make patches. :wink:
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Hi sharc,
spent some time exploring over the last couple of days. An amazing collection of modules - even if I don't understand half of the more esoteric ones.

Couple of things to mention.
1.) Not sure if this is the same 'keep on top' issue that you just mentioned. If you open one of the module panels and then return to editing the patch, or open another one, the panel gets hidden behind the pathc and you have to close and re-open it to see it. I found I had 10 open panels hidden behind the modular shell when I minimised it. Not a big deal, but a stay on top option would be good.

2.) When connecting the frequency out of an MVC to the frequency in of the Random Signal generator I got this error:
RANDOM-SG.jpg
RANDOM-SG.jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
Am I doing the wrong thing?

3.) When I open the Circuit Level Module, I get this error:
CLM.gif
CLM.gif (4.52 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
Any ideas?

Otherwise all seems to be working good, and really well thought out.

Thanks again,
Ben
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

sharc wrote:
irrelevance wrote:I'm still getting this display bug in my modular shell where all of the drop down folder menus are missing. So I'm still having to load from the file explorer.
That sounds like a problem with your cset file. If you load cset.ini (Scope\App\Bin) with Notepad and scroll down to the [StaticPath] section. Here there should be an entry for Modular (ie. Modular=c:\Scope\Modular2 Modules) if you enter the correct path (the folder your modular modules are in) here and save the Cset file the modular menu bar should should work next time you load Scope. Make sure you make a backup copy of the cset.ini file before editing it though, in case anything goes wrong.

Great I'll give that a try nice one man!
irrelevance wrote:It doesn't look like this is possible for the circuit level module though as it doesn't stay on top when I shift focus to explorer.
The Circuit Level Module is still in the experimental stage and it does have some issues. I'll take a look at the Stay On Top side of things for the next release.

No problem there's a hell of a lot to be getting on with :)
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Ben Walker wrote:
3.) When I open the Circuit Level Module, I get this error:
CLM.gif
Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Ben
Midi thru dsp can be found on the first page of this thread. Just scroll down ;)
sharc

Post by sharc »

Ben Walker wrote:Not sure if this is the same 'keep on top' issue that you just mentioned. If you open one of the module panels and then return to editing the patch, or open another one, the panel gets hidden behind the patch and you have to close and re-open it to see it. I found I had 10 open panels hidden behind the modular shell when I minimised it. Not a big deal, but a stay on top option would be good.
Should hopefully be easy enough to fix for the next release. In the meantime, the only suggestion I can make is to switch off the 'Keep on Top' state of the Modular shell. It's not an ideal solution but it should help out with the panels disappearing behind.
Ben Walker wrote:When connecting the frequency out of an MVC to the frequency in of the Random Signal generator I got this error:
RANDOM-SG.jpg
Am I doing the wrong thing?
No that's a 'feature' [erm...cough, splutter] :lol:

It's because of the way the panel frequency control is implemented at the moment. You'll get the same error message for the other LFO modules. I can either remove the frequency control from the panel (like I've done with the Oscillators and Filters) or there's another option which will solve the problem, but make the modules use a little more DSP ...Still thinking about it.
Ben Walker wrote:When I open the Circuit Level Module, I get this error:
CLM.gif
Any ideas?
irrelevance wrote:Midi thru dsp can be found on the first page of this thread. Just scroll down ;)
That's the one :)

I think I should be able to replace the thru module in there. I'll look into it.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

It is really great, how this adds a lot to the ergonomics of the Modular. Also that it makes it so easy to control several parameters with one CC. :)
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

sharc wrote:you could use a Mix 1 module in place of the 2nd Volume attenuator. Whichever way works using the least modules is (usually) the best one.
I can not see any other difference between the volume attenuator and the mix1 than the latter having a fader on the little pop up. Othervice, they seam identical to me.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
sharc

Post by sharc »

Immanuel wrote:
sharc wrote:I can not see any other difference between the volume attenuator and the mix1 than the latter having a fader on the little pop up. Othervice, they seam identical to me.
They're similar but there are a few differences between the two. The mix1 module uses less (about 40%) dsp. The gain pad on the mix1 reports a value in dB. Also, the mix1 accepts negative gain values to invert the output.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

thanks, plenty effort in this I'm sure, it's much appreciated, now I just need some time to get into it :D
Love the way it looks and the color feature is great!
dawman

Post by dawman »

I like the sound of the LP4 Retro Filter, reminds of the tone Hendrix used as a Wah-Wah on Belly Button Window... nice, thanks Sharc.
BC MODULAR PIANO.JPG
BC MODULAR & PWave MODULAR..JPG
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

whoa this is amazing. thanks sharc!
what came into my mind when I tried the Control modules was: why not letting the user decide what control to use? so, instead of pre-configured pots or buttons , integrating a switch/comboBox or whatever to select which control to use. like this
http://www.cwmodular.org/files/varControl.mdl
poor grafics, just to give an idea what I mean.
sharc

Post by sharc »

roy thinnes wrote:what came into my mind when I tried the Control modules was: why not letting the user decide what control to use? so, instead of pre-configured pots or buttons , integrating a switch/comboBox or whatever to select which control to use.
That's a nice idea 8)

I'm not sure how well it would fit into the concept of BC Modular, but if it's already done then the more options the better :wink:

I did have a Constant Val module with a single editable control, but decided to remove it for this release as it was needing redone to support the BCM presets. I suppose I could make it switchable between an encoder and button, but I'll need to give that some thought - If you look at the different options between encoders and buttons on the BCM modules you'll probably see what I mean :D

I'm considering doing some more BCM modules, but probably won't (at least not in the near future) be recreating the BCM-88 and 104 modules from the earlier beta. A module to specifically support the B-Control Nano is a possibility, although I don't have one of those to test it.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

sharc wrote:A module to specifically support the B-Control Nano is a possibility, although I don't have one of those to test it.
I use such one mainly to control playpack volume and source and pan - kind of like a controll room thingie.
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Thanks for this :o :) - it's truly incredible you have done this for the Scope community

Much appreciated,

Thank you very much!! :D :D :D
sharc

Post by sharc »

Looks like the manual's going to take a while to complete.

In the meantime, for those who are struggling to get to grips with the various functions of the BCM modules, I've uploaded a PDF reference guide. :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I just discovered the pdf. ..
Thanks So Much for this............

JAV
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

I missed the update! Its amazing....
Thanks. It helps with being Xite-less. u rock!
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

now this is very professional with the pdf reference guide.

nice and complete work. :)