BC MODULAR v0.96b

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

sharc

BC MODULAR v0.96b

Post by sharc »

BC_Screen1.jpg
BC_Screen1.jpg (186.89 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
BC Modular is a collection of over 300 modules for the Creamware/SonicCore Modular II, III & IV devices. Envelopes, Filters, Oscillators, Switches, Mixers etc. provide all the basic building blocks you need for the most complex of modular patches while compatibilty with existing modular modules means that BC Modular can be easily integrated into your patches.

Almost every module parameter has an input socket for extended control and modulation. Each module features a pop-up panel, where the appearance of the module can be edited for easy recognition. In addition, many of the modules feature slider controls for the various module parameters.

The BC package includes it's own Modular Shells with additional IO's for connectivity with other Scope devices in addition to native control applications such as Expert Sleepers Silentway. What's more a suite of software and hardware IO modules are provided which can be loaded directly into your modular patch as an alternative to connecting via the routing window.

Highlights of the package include:

- Circuit Level Modules which allow modular patches to be split across multiple layers each of which can then be saved as modular modules
- 14-bit MIDI control support using MSB & LSB CC pairs for 0-16383 control resolution
- Game Controller Support. Up to 8 Windows game controllers can be given direct access to module parameters.
- STS OSC's provide support for multi-layered STS and Akai sample programs.
- Control Ranger modules for unprecedented refinement of parameter ranges and curves
- BC-Pipe connections for 8 channel bi-directional control via a single modular cable.
+ Too much more to list here :D

The full package is quite large and is growing all the time so I've set up a website and support forum at http://www.bcmodular.co.uk where the latest updates can be downloaded.

I've decided to add an LE version to this thread to replace the legacy version. Hope you all like it :wink:
BCMODULAR_0_96b LE.zip
(5.52 MiB) Downloaded 280 times
Last edited by sharc on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
hubird

Post by hubird »

great idea, modular lovers here's your chance :-)
fantastic looks!
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Very nice!! I will try this for sure!

thanks
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

1 st step toward BCR 2000 like for modular to replace the MRC.

A 108 control version of it with pre-assigned midi mapping to one BCR 2000 preset ?

Great job !!!

CheerZ
breitner

Post by breitner »

Sharc,

this looks excellent! The concept of repeating the module is very clever, my compliments. In the same line of thinking, you could also build a controller strip mimicking the on/off buttons, or one with the eight sliders.

thanks again for keeping up the excellent work!
petal

Post by petal »

This looks great!

Just throwing out a question here, could something similar (the 14-bit trick) be done for the Novation Zero SL?
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

really strong controller, sharc !!!

and also very nice gui poti ! well designed.

Does this thing work in both directions?
I mean when you move a knob on the BC Modular, does the BCR2000 update the colour led around the knob?

I don`t have a bcr2000, so I m asking.

But it is so dirt cheap that I should go for one.

external controlling is very useful....., especially synth tweaking.
sharc

Post by sharc »

Wow, this thing's more popular than I thought it would be :o
1 st step toward BCR 2000 like for modular to replace the MRC.
That would be very cool 8) The best thing about the MRC is the ability to map it directly to controls. Unfortunately, there are some parameters in the modular which you just can't patch a cable to. Not sure how feasible it would be to actually create an MRC replacement as it would probably involve developing a new modular shell which would more than likely have to be based on Mod III. Then there's the issue of actually figuring out how the MRC works ....big job :D
A 108 control version of it with pre-assigned midi mapping to one BCR 2000 preset ?
For the moment I've gone for just the 8 controls as it's quite flexible. you can load up to 16 of them for 128 controls ...OK, you could only get 56 rotaries in a single BCR2000 preset (but you could always buy another one or two :wink: ) Also, 128 sockets would make the module rather large, not to mention the edit panel.
you could also build a controller strip mimicking the on/off buttons, or one with the eight sliders.
good idea breitner :) Should be easy enough.
could something similar (the 14-bit trick) be done for the Novation Zero SL
It should be possible. The reason I've gone for the BCR is that it's the only controller I have which supports 14-bit midi control. The Zero SL does look like a nice controller. As I don't have one, I can't test it as this end, but I just had a quick look at the manual and it might be compatible. Try setting one of the rotary encoders on the SL to NRPN mode and set the MSB to 21 & the LSB to 53. This should give you control over rotary 1 on the BC MODULAR. If it doesn't work, try the same settings in RPN mode. If you get it working just make the same settings for the other 7 encoders, each time adding 1 for MSB&LSB (ie. 22&54, 23&55 and so on up to 28&60).

EDIT: My guess is that the SL is using a standard NRPN / RPN spec, meaning that with the above settings, if you were to check it out on the Scope midi monitor you would see 4 control change messages - cc98(NRPN LSB) with a value of 53, cc99(NRPN MSB) with a value of 21, cc6(Data MSB) & cc38(Data LSB). It might be possible to create a module which supports the full NRPN spec, but it wouldn't be easy. Like I said, I don't have an SL here to test it and apart from anything else, to be honest I would be a little reluctant to spend so much time on a module which I couldn't make use of myself. I could however produce a more generic 7-bit midi controller module for modular. That would be relatively easy :).
very nice gui poti !
Yes, I should give a big thanks to <~Shroomz~> for that one 8)
Does this thing work in both directions?
I mean when you move a knob on the BC Modular, does the BCR2000 update the colour led around the knob?
For this first release, I've disabled on-screen mouse editing of the controls as it was messing with parameter feedback when you change between modular presets. I'm hoping to be able to put that feature back in, but it will probably involve a circuit redesign. As it stands, you can switch between modular presets and the BCR2000 will update correctly. I figured this was more important as you can always edit the modular with the mouse using a constant val module or similar.

Stardust - The Behringer 14-bit control change option is similar to the Data Entry side of NRPN (It uses 2 CC's). However instead of being fixed at cc6 and 38, you can specify the MSB cc number and it'll set the LSB cc number accordingly, hence cc's 21(MSB) & 53(LSB), etc.

Thanks for the feedback & suggestions folks - keep 'em coming!! :)
sharc

Post by sharc »

Oops, I forgot to mention that if you want to use more than one BCM at a time in the modular, you should set the Midi in module to 'OMNI'. If your modular patch is set to a specific midi channel instead of OMNI just use the midi output from one of the BCM's set to that channel instead. This way you can use up to 16 BCM's (128 controls) at a time in any modular patch.
sharc

Post by sharc »

That's right stardust :)

One option if you don't have a behringer controller and want to check it out, would be to use standard control change messages. If you set up your controller to output cc's 21-28, that'll give you the 8 controls ...at 7-bit of course :wink:
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

As it stands, you can switch between modular presets and the BCR2000 will update correctly.
thats what i wanted to know...
great.... :)
RX

Post by RX »

Sharc, this is absolutely fantastic stuff !!

Do you think it would work with the faders too ?

Now if only there would be a standalone Scope module which could provide the same amount of control for the Scope synths.

But I guess this may technically unfeasible - there probably isn't a 14 bit input into the synths you could link with - other than the GUI ?

This kind of thing is one of my main reasons I got the SDK, to build some stuff for making Scope control a lot more transparent... Now if I only had any time at all :(
Any sufficiently advanced form of incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

http://www.myspace.com/phrx
petal

Post by petal »

ok - I wanted to try it out with my Zero SL but I'm getting a "problem":

"Can't find DSP file MIDI through - Please check installation"

can anyone please direct me to that file?

Cheers!
Thomas :)
sharc

Post by sharc »

Thanks for letting me know petal :)

Here it is....
Attachments
MidiThru.zip
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

does the BCR/F have to be in a special mode for it to work in 14 bit? or can you just assign a knob as usual? i have been using a BCF with live/scope combination for a bit and i really like it.. i geting a bcr as well, and maybe even another bcf!
sharc

Post by sharc »

It uses the Absolute 14-bit mode (A14) for each encoder you set up. AFAIK you should be able to setup the faders of the BCF for this mode, although I'm not sure if the faders are full 14-bit resolution. You'll find full setup instructions in the included readme. I've also got a couple of .syx preset files for the BCR which I'll try and post later on today.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Gone?
sharc

Post by sharc »

...but not forgotten :wink:
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

its always good being a collector and save stuff to local hd, ..... :D

hope this is just a temporarly depression .... :D

I mean I am not really active myself at the moment, but I am sure that mine are other reasons.....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Very Wise Indeed. :wink:

I learned this a couple of years back and store devices sometimes w/o ever understanding the particular need or use.

Personally I have saved hundreds of dollars thanks to the SDK crowd.

When I see Sharc and Shroomz deleting entries, I think it's safe to assume they making room for more.

And when you return from your " Search 4 Truth " journey, I hope you continue to bless with your devices as well. And BTW, your pdf's are an extra touch of class I really apprecite. :lol:

Bis Bald Mein Bruder,