Midi Alternator (multi output cycler)

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

djmicron

Midi Alternator (multi output cycler)

Post by djmicron »

Hi there,
i was inspired by the midi output cycler discussion thread and this is the result of one day of work.
The device is still under development, so every suggestion, bug report is welcome.

The midi alternator lets you cycle midi messages to up to 16 outputs and everytime you play a note the used midi output will be the next, so if you choose to use 5 cycles, every note played will use outputs 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5 and so on.

I'm working to implement the option of splitting chords in single sequenced notes, but at the moment if you play for example 3 notes, the midi alternator will play the chord on the active output and then it will jump 3 outputs on.

You have the option of changing the midi channel on every single output by entering the channel number and you can also transpose the note by entering negative or positive values (up to +/- 48)

There is a dsp file to place inside you dsp folder.

Best regards

mIcron

updates:

v0.6 solved the note off issue, now every time a new note is pressed the previous stops immediately
v0.6b the device was opened by default on the second screen, this has caused problems on certain systems, solved.

24Dec 2006
device deleted (an explanation will come shortly)
Last edited by djmicron on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

And it puts out one note per output? Can't wait to try it!
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Just tried it.

What I need is for this tool to split chords and sustain the notes on each channel.
Not just alternate channels,

Example: a three-note chord, C-E-G, would come out this way:

C -> ch.1 -> ch.2->ch.3
E -> ch.2 -> ch.3->ch.1
G -> ch.3 -> ch.1->ch.2

and so forth

You understand what I mean? :)

I do have a very old example of the sound I am after but I closed down my website and don't think I should post it in the Music threads.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

i understand that you want to split chords, but it's not totally clear how the order of outputs is managed in your example.
And another thing i don't understand is about sustain, because if note are sustained, we loose the cycling effect and in that case could have more sense to do another device that will let you split a chord to several midi outputs, but without the cycling effect and where you can manually assign the midi output for each note.
Just to be clear, everytime you press a note, you will have control on the next midi output, so the sustain will have effect until you release the key.
At the moment the midi alternator is a sort of multi output arpeggiator.
I'm working on possible variations...
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

djmicron wrote:i understand that you want to split chords, but it's not totally clear how the order of outputs is managed in your example.
I realise now that order is not a total necessity. Randomness is desirable in my case.
djmicron wrote:And another thing i don't understand is about sustain, because if note are sustained, we loose the cycling effect and in that case could have more sense to do another device that will let you split a chord to several midi outputs, but without the cycling effect and where you can manually assign the midi output for each note.
Actually, that could work. The chord splitter out to multiple alternators with outputs pushed down on each next alternator. The sustain is only until the next note is struck, you're right. So outputs need to be monophonic like your present device.
djmicron wrote:Just to be clear, everytime you press a note, you will have control on the next midi output, so the sustain will have effect until you release the key.
Exactly right!
djmicron wrote:At the moment the midi alternator is a sort of multi output arpeggiator.
I'm working on possible variations...
And it works beutifullyl, thanks! :)
Lima

Post by Lima »

Thank you! I'll try it in the afternoon :-D
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

thanks to all testers,
after the paulmartin reply i have had a new illumination about possible improvements, i'll try it first......
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Thanks, this is really cool.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a midi-controlled audio channel cycler in a similar way. Something with say 4 inputs & 4 outputs that had a switchable cycling system allowing you to cycle the input or output chanels or both at the touch of a note. It would have several uses but mainly as a special effect. It needn't even necessarily be a 'cycler'. It could just be midi controlled ins & outs that only pass an audio signal when a specific midi note is received. Just an idea. Maybe we can already do this though.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

hi shroomz,
i'm thinking you are a medium, because i'm near to upload a device like a note controlled audio switch...... :lol:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Micron, you are one of the Scope Jedi & the force is strong in you.
borg

Post by borg »

Shroomz wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to make a midi-controlled audio channel cycler in a similar way.
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=

thanks for this device... will be lots of fun.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Thanks for the link borg!
gregaire

Post by gregaire »

Hello !

does anyone own this device ?

and if you do, could you share it with me ?

pm me

pleeeeease !
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

yes....

exlpain....

why did you delete ? :D
pollux

Post by pollux »

FrancisHarmany wrote:yes....

exlpain....

why did you delete ? :D