simple crossfeed simulator for headphones

Patch files for the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

simple crossfeed simulator for headphones

Post by kensuguro »

This is an approximation of the typical crossfeed circuit for heaphones to simulate loudspeakers. It uses a fixed delay for the lowpassed crossfeed channels. The better way to do it would be to use a frequency dependent delay, but I don't think that is possible in mod.

in mod2 format so everyone can use it. The two constants up top control crossfeed, and dry signal. The delays are fixed at 320 microseconds, which I guess is the distance between each ear. The lowpass is also fixed at around 650hz (best approximation) which seems to be the standard for these things. You can mix and match to suite your taste. I can't say it works like magic, but it does give you a rough idea of how things will sound on speakers. It's interesting how phase cancellation sort of rounds things out and it sort of does sound like a loudspeaker.
Attachments
crossfeed.zip
(240.72 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
voidar

Re: simple crossfeed simulator for headphones

Post by voidar »

Great.

I remember asking for something like this.

Perhaps I could whip together something like this soon, as I've got the SDK now. Changable crossfeed delay should be implemented for smaller and bigger heads.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

you can change the delay in this one, it's just that I don't have the left and right channels linked. Just scroll down to find the delay modules.

I don't think you can do frequency dependent delay even with the skd tho. I also wonder if just using an early reflections module could replicate a room listening environment better than this. I used to ER on just the extreme low endto simulate a club "buzz" at the low end.
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

Thanks kensuguro! I'll check it out tomorrow.

cheers
dawman

Post by dawman »

This is actually quite incredible.

Here's what I am hoping to do.

I have powered monitors for the stage that are quite powerful and the cabinets resonance's are well tuned. I do notice some differences when I mix w/ the 3 way ear monitors, and have the project played back over the Blue Sky's, and the Barbetta's.

How or what would you suggest for matching my mixes better?

I notice when mixing w/ the 3 ways, I have to add more bass to the 2.1 Blue Skys, and the Barbettas really need a boost. Is that because the 3 ways have such a good bass response?

Very Interested,
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

hmm, I'm not sure if there is an in ear monitor in existence that can be trusted with bass.. Heck, I don't even trust headphones. For me, I always have to turn to my speakers, stand back far enough to give the bass enough time to "grow", and check the extreme low end there. Usually that makes a great difference tho, especially around 40-60hz area. In ears might be able to recreate that frequency range, but it's really hard to touch up that area with out really feeling the air vibrate.

But, it does make sense that the speakers need more energy to drive the cones. Plus the more air between you and the speaker, more energy can be lost, more stuff can go wrong, etc. So the in ears would definitely require less energy. For your info, my etymotics e4p's extreme low end response is very unreliable unless I get a perfect seal. Guess custom earmolds really do help to assure perfect seal and thus perfect response.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes they do need to be custom fit by an audiologist, but while one can enjoy the extra bass in a 3 way stereo design, it's only for onstage or listening pleasure. Trying to adjust the bass response to match the 5.1 Klipsch or 2.1 Blue Sky's is unattainable.
However, from hundreds of uses I have learned to get the mix I want for the powered monitors by getting the mix first on those satellites, and then hearing the ear monitors response. I have learned the hard way, as I mixed w/ the 3 way wireless monitors first back in August and then had to redo a project on the fly live............Dayamn, that sucked.
But on the 2nd tune I had enough time to install Wolf's magical 8 Band Parametric on the mix outs prior to the the ADAT Destination module, and cut the lowest 2 bands down.
Using Scope live night after night since last summer and being a Lighting Director + Monitor/FOH, while performing has been a valuable learning experience.
I look so forward to just playing keys next Spring.

BTW can a device like the Crossfeed Simulator be done outside of Modualr w/ a frequency dependant delay?
I would love to be able to match my wireless ears to my cabinets better. On breaks I have to make adjustments for the vocalists ( imagine that ) and the mains must be muted. I have learned where to cut and boost better by Guesstimating, but the frequency dependant delay would be so much more accurate for the bass representation.

Just in case anyone wants to know, this is a perfect tool for using w/ Wolf's 16 & 32 Channel Mixer, and Mehdi's A-H input FP106C mixer.