USB or FIREWIRE audio interface in Pulsar Project

Scope project files

Moderators: valis, garyb

korgano

USB or FIREWIRE audio interface in Pulsar Project

Post by korgano »

Is it possible to connect for example motu 8pre with firewire in Pulsar Project?
and if yes, How?
I would like to record 8 XLR´s inputs simultaneously and have it going out over MOTU´s firewire in my PC.
How can pulsar recocnized it?
I now I could do it also over ADAT I/O.

Same question also for USB audio intefaces.

Thanx
garyb

Re: USB or FIREWIRE audio interface in Pulsar Project

Post by garyb »

no, Scope and the usb or firewire device can't see eachother because of how a computer works. ADAT is an option...
korgano

Post by korgano »

thanks Gary,

could you help me maybe with the hint wich one is best:

Tascam US-1641
Motu 8pre
FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE PRO 40
PRESONUS FIRESTUDIO PROJECT.

Thanx
garyb

Post by garyb »

via usb?
idk, really. i'm sure they all function. usb is not my choice for inputting audio, that's for sure. the same with firewire.

if you're using one of these as a stand alone converter/pre, the motu can do that. if using firewire or usb, i might choose the focusrite, although it's really a matter of features that you like. none of those are "high end".

what kind of work are you doing? if it's strictly for your own entertainment and demos and the budget was the real issue, i might consider the behringer ada8000. it works quite well and has 8 decent mic pres. the focusrite has the name, but the gains in audio quality over the behringer that costs half are only going to be modest and the focusrite has no wordclock and can't be used just as a stand alone converter. if sound is the main consideration, i'd spend a bit more money and go with an A16 and real mic pres. perhaps you don't need 8 pres right away. in that case, an A16 and an FMR RNP would be a major step up. did you see the thread where shroomz got a great deal on an old broadcast console? that's a great way to get REAL mic pres very cheaply...
korgano

Post by korgano »

Thanks Gary,
I have Neve Portico 5016 preamp and I like it.
Problem:
It has no digital out.
I have on my Scope Professional adat and S/pdif inputs and I would like to use tham to record digital.
I have already try that with SSL preamp that has S/pdif out, but I did not hear any big difference , if any.
Anyway, at first I wanted device with 8 xlr inputs and USB or Firewire to record live band on my macbook via USB or Firewire, but right now I just need something that will carry my Neve signal to Scope without big sound change if any.

I found now RME Adi 2, and I think that would be my first choice.
Is there anything similar out there for same price or cheeper?

Thanks

Korgano
garyb

Post by garyb »

gee, for that price, an A-16 isn't that big an upgrade. it will allow you to input the neve(very nicely it has 16 ins and outs for your adat lightpipe). the sound quality is very good. i sold 4 or 5 to Bose corp. the wanted them for the test bench. if you need an additional 8 mic pres in the short term you can rent or...you can get an older recording or broadcast console for almost nothing and use those pres, which will be light years beyond what you can buy in the price range mentioned.

did you see shroomz' experience?

otherwise, the rme is a very good product.