How do I integrate Cubase with mixing in Scope?

Scope project files

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neil B

How do I integrate Cubase with mixing in Scope?

Post by Neil B »

I’m about to upgrade to SFP4.0 and then SFP 4.5. I already have Modular 3 etc so I’ll choose the mix n master pack when I purchase 4.5.

Now, I use Cubase 32/5.1 with Scope and I tend to use VST effects for Cubase tracks and also for Scope synths, although I am making more use of the Scope effects bit by bit.

A typical standard project of mine is shown in this jpg:

www.tonaleffects.co.uk/project.jpg

So, onto my question.
How do I make more use of the Scope effects etc?

An example:
Say I have 10 audio tracks in Cubase and I’m ready for mixing the track. It’d be great to feed all these tracks into a Scope mixer and add the effects there, then route/record it all back to Cubase and automate the channel mixers in VST.

How can I take the tracks out to Scope (when I only have a stereo output from Cubase), such that I can use the Scope effects?

I read so much about you guys using Scope for mixing, and I’m sure the final result will be better than the old Cubase 32/5.1 results that I get, but I’m not sure how to go about it, project-wise.

Can anyone suggest a typical project please (perhaps a jpg demo)?
Oh, and remember that I only have 6 DSP’s

Hope I’ve explained myself properly (it doesn’t feel like it!).
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks for that.
I've never used the bus channels off the Cubase mixer before so I found it.

Run a few tests and it works okay so now I need to get used to it.

Definitely wouldn't have found it without your help
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I no more touch vst fx. All is mixed in scope.

It sounds better. Has more definition or whatever you call it.
katano

Post by katano »

i second that, no more native mixing needed...
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

stardust wrote:Forgot to say:

Midi tracks are then connected to the Creamware midi ports in the cubase midi tracks.
In scope the sequencer sourcesare connected to the synths and their audio ports to the in of the scope mixer....
Yes, that's the bit I haven't sorted yet. It was great to run an audio file from Atmosphere through a ModII effect and then back into Cubase
However, I can't figure teh midi VST synths bit out yet because I can't assign them to a bus in Cubase (can I?) - only to the master track.
Can you expand on that a bit for me please Stardust?
Thanks
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Okay so I've got 12 audio tracks in Cubase routed through the master mixer buses.

On the scope project I run 12 stereo tracks from 12 asio sources, through a mixer to 12 asio dests. The mixer has all my mixing effects etc.

All I need to do now is to route the output back into cubase to record the stereo track. Can I figure out how to do it? NO

I can record it back to Cubase one track at a time, but not the complete track in one go.

Please help as I really want to get this beggar sorted.

Thanks
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

i guess you could either

a) - Route the output of Mix L & Mix R of your scope mixer to one stereo ASIO track, or

b) - setup 12 audio tracks in cubase, making sure all VST Inputs are enabled. Dedicate an input to each track, and record. Really, it should work. If you get one audiotrack recording, just make sure the settings are the same for each track, only difference being what hardware input is chosen as source.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

next to nothing wrote:i guess you could either

a) - Route the output of Mix L & Mix R of your scope mixer to one stereo ASIO track, or

b) - setup 12 audio tracks in cubase, making sure all VST Inputs are enabled. Dedicate an input to each track, and record. Really, it should work. If you get one audiotrack recording, just make sure the settings are the same for each track, only difference being what hardware input is chosen as source.
I woke up at 3 a.m in a cold sweat of embarassment :D
How could I have been so stupid not to think of your point "a)".
I thought to myself I'll be the laughing stock of the whole world now - "Planet Z" that is.
My only excuse was that it was 30C outside and I was hot and flustered when I was scratching my head.

So I've tried method a) (I appreciate how b) will work too) and of course it is fine. Only strange thing is that when I press stop on Cubase it gave off a springy, delay like sound but I can sort it all out now when I get back off holiday.

What an idiot I am - thanks for the help guys.

One last question though ----------------
In Cubase - Audio System Setup
I have monitoring set to tape type
Should I have ASIO Direct Monitoring ticked or not and what is the difference please?
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Considering my gross stupidity and ignorance on this topic, I have chastised myself with a birch branch, rolled about in a bath of ants after covering myself with honey and hereby rename my login for the next couple of weeks to one more fitting for my skill and knowledge levels.

:cry:
goaFromLivingRoom

Re: How do I integrate Cubase with mixing in Scope?

Post by goaFromLivingRoom »

Hi stardust,

thank you for your post. But i have some question for you. Would be nice if you could answer me. Thank you.

In your first post of this thread you describe the typical project. For this i have some questions:

First you described as follows:
"...basically you route each track to an asio source and these into the scope mixer...
The channels of the mixers are routed back into the Asio dest.
In cubase these are the Ins of the corresponding tracks..."

Do you mean that i use the direct outs of the mixer to route back to Asio dest?
If yes, how can i record the whole mix, because Cubase doesn't get back the mix.

Second you describe:
"...Now you can use the AUX ways of scope mixers for effects and of course also the inserts..."

If i use the direct outs then i cannot use the Aux because the are added to the MixL, MixR isn't it? Perhaps i am wrong...

Third:
"Doing this you bypass Cubase internal mixer. "

There i see the same problem of recording the mix. How could i record it with cubase if i deactivate the internal mixer of cubase.

Perhaps i understood your suggestion of project wrong. Could you add a image of the projekt to this thread? Would be great.

Thank you in advanced.
MB Asus P5K-E, 1 x Scope 1 x Pulsar 1 x Elektra: Scope is the host, Winxp Prof, BCF2000
goaFromLivingRoom

Re: How do I integrate Cubase with mixing in Scope?

Post by goaFromLivingRoom »

Hey stardust,

thank you very much for the answers.

One last question:

I want to use the FLT 64 Asio with 32 stereo channels. If i route the MixL/R to an asio dest channel then i will lose one channel for my tracks. Do you know a solution how to realize full 32 stereo channels?

Greetings...
MB Asus P5K-E, 1 x Scope 1 x Pulsar 1 x Elektra: Scope is the host, Winxp Prof, BCF2000