JD800 Sample presets for Zarg Pro-Wave v1.2

Preset lists and tools for Scope modules

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ben Walker

JD800 Sample presets for Zarg Pro-Wave v1.2

Post by Ben Walker »

Some presets for the Zarg Pro-Wave v1.2 which use the standalone sample pool with the JD800 sampleset which you can download here.
You must have the sample pool loaded in your project before you try and load one of the presets.

Read this first

Using the wav oscillators with the Pro-wave has been known to cause a crash. If you load one of these presets straight away when you load the synth, it will probably crash when you play a note, or if not then, when you play a note of another sample-based preset.

However, if you first of all change both oscillators manually to Wav Osc, then load a sample in each oscillator, play a note, and only then load one of these presets, you should be fine.

You only need to do this once, and then you can switch between these presets easily. However, if you then switch back to using one of the other oscillators, you must always follow the procedure above or it will crash.

So the golden rule (in my experience):
If you've been using one of the non-wav oscillators, always manually initialise the wav oscillators first before loading any of these presets.
I'd be interested if other people get the same results - please feed any other findings to John, either by email or through this forum.

NB None of the other Zarg synths exhibit this behaviour.

NB2 These presets were based for the most part on my Pro-Plus v3.1 presets, and as a result, some of them don't quite sound as they should, but for the most part they do. The crashing problem is not a result of using old Pro-Plus presets as you get the same behaviour when working with totally new presets.
Attachments
BW_ProWave_v1_2.zip
(14.23 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice pool of sounds thanks, I've had these for a long time.

Did you ever get my D50 wav's?

I use these both and some extra large Kyma wav's in Prowave 1.1 and have never experienced a problem. I only have them stored in the samples folder, and when I load a sample in the Sample Oscillator of ProWave, it is extracted to the synth and needs no additional path.

Did you ever get any use from the preset I sent you for wave-sweeping?

The mod wheel as a controller is a poor choice, but will demonstrate the use until Mehdi's CC8, and another choice of controller can be chosen .

I use the Kurzweil Expressionmate Ribbon for that, as I can avoid the sudden jumps in timbre that are introduced.

The expression pedal is a good choice if you need a good controller.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Can you make those D50 sounds available somewhere?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sure,

But you need Solaris, or Prowave to get any real use.

The JD800 waves are a must also.

Doesn't seem like people take advantage of the sample Oscillators very much, or the WAV Oscillators.

I can create curtains of spectra that change and evolve any way I direct them.

Great for special FX, these sheets of color become usefeul as a backdrop for solo sections.

Think of it as a synth that morphs presets in a chain like style. By the time you go from 0 to max on the mod wheel, you reverse the wheel back down and never hear the same spectra twice.

Bowen released some RDII Modules that are inserted into the Oscillator slots and the Waldorf Pair II, is basically four Wav Oscillators, as each Osc is a pair of Wavetables.

When doing solos, these presets can be set to evolve w/ a slow rated LFO, while you sustain them w/ a pedal. Sure a sequencer can record these, but live you need something happening behind your solo sections. These pads are great as it sounds like someone is turning knobs and dials causing swells and motion, the whole time you are playing a monophonic FAT BASTARD for further punishment. They sound really cool when you down or up bend them to the desired pitch also. Sometimes I even do a bi-directional portamento on my ribbon controller w/ a loop delay sustaining the end of the glide. It gives the appearance of more than one player for sure. :wink:
Eric Dahlberg

Post by Eric Dahlberg »

Hi Ben,

It's good to see you're still working on music and synths! How's everything been going?

I saw you've released these patches for several of John's synths. Is there any one of them you'd recommend in particular, especially in regard to using your patches?
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Wow, hi Eric, how's it going?
Yes, still a commited synthesist and a total Zarg enthusiast.

Recomending one Zarg synth over another is a really difficult task, there's not a bad one to choose from.

If you want a fantastically playable analog sounding easily comprehensible synth, the Pro-Wave is the one. It's got a clear user interface, is really immediate, sounds Phat and is great fun to play.

The Solaris is a different beast altogether. It's one of the most complex, fully featured synths imagineable. The user interface is more complicated, but only because there are so many options compared to the Pro Wave. However, once you've understood the basic layout, it's all clear - you wouldn't have a problem understanding it after an hour's play. The reason its more complicated is because it has much more to offer. There are 10 different oscillator types (not 10 different oscillator waveforms - that's just the MultiMode Oscillator) but 10 different types, including the ability to load modular oscillator patches or any of the Red Dwarf (Zarg) or Black Box (SpaceF) oscillators. Although its not a modular synth, it almost feels like it because the modulation options are so flexible and the ability to load different components (OSc, Filter, etc) are so powerful.

I know that there's a demo for the Solaris available, not sure about the Pro-Wave, but I'm sure John will send one if he has one.

If you are playing with the ProWave with the wav oscillators, bear in mind the advice above about the need to initialise the oscillators before playing.

Let me know if you have any more Q's - I'm sure Jimmy will have something to say about the Solaris as well.

Let us know if you do end up getting either of these synths.

BTW Worth checking out the Rotor synth as well - get John to send a demo of this for a totally different sort of synth. But the Solaris also has the Rotor Oscillators, so you get the best of every world with the Solaris - it's like the best of all the Zarg synths rolled into one, and then some.

Ben
maky325

Post by maky325 »

[quote="XITE-1/4LIVE"]Sure,

But you need Solaris, or Prowave to get any real use.

/quote]

Hi. You just upload them somewhere if possible and we will make some noise 8)
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Hi Eric,
here's Jimmy's latest rant about solaris:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25231
Ben
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

I would be interested in the D50 samples also :)

P.S There is a demo available for Prowave. Its AWESOME!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

I can assist.

The D50's, 20 of them are already edited, and are unlooped.

The Kyma's are much larger and don't seem to work well for guys who use less than 2GB's of RAM.

I shall try to send the files directly.It will take 4 seperate emails for the D50's and unless you have ESC or Translator Pro, the Kyma's will be of little use.

The JD800's are rather small, but when one uses Rotor Mix 8 from the RDII Modules series, and combines these w/ the D50's and zero crossfading they compliment each other very well.

I shall make a little demo this weekend of a sparkly / liquid sounding synth called Underwater Scuba Diver that demos the SFX and synth well.

It even includes submarine pings, and snorkelinng effects w/ fixed pitches that are separate from the synths docementary sounding texture.

BTW SpaceF Oscillators mixed with JB's CEM's and RDII Modules are an extremely powerful combination also.

Many Oscillators like Supersaw have 6 sources of saw waves, but are not editable, but still very FAT. SpaceF's S-MOS, and Jaws, MicroScope, etc. All have editable waves and tunings.

When I use these in Prowave or Solaris they only require 1 instance as they are a synth in a shell of sorts.

That leaves Prowave guys with a slot for Rotor Mix 8 and several JD800 or D50 wav.'s. :D

Solaris's ability to load more Oscillators is just downright obscene, :wink:

Almost forgot, I also have looped Doors Organ w/ drawbars that has recently worked well. But there are dozens of those. 5 for each drawbar, and 5 choices.

Just using one maxxes out the RAM, but it sounds so " Whiskey A Go-Go-ish ".
Last edited by dawman on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Jim,

Maybe these sample banks can be attached to a new topic in this forum?

Just an idea, for more robust preservation and distribution...
at0m.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hi Brotha' Man at0m,

Nice to see you still have time for your usual excellent ideas.

I would be totally up for that. :D

It's only my opinion, but Prowave is better suited for high polyphony using the current Scope cards, than other big synths.

It's parameters and options are extreme, while keeping the DSP consumption lower than other FAT BASTARDS.

It was my favorite live Scope synth for 2 years.
Eric Dahlberg

Post by Eric Dahlberg »

Hi Ben and Jimmy,

Sorry for taking so long to write back. I tested all of John's newer synths pretty extensively and really fell in love with Quantum Wave and Pro-Wave. Unfortunately, my single 7-DSP Project card can't provide enough voices for me to make proper use of the JD800 sound bank so I won't be jumping on either of them just yet. Maybe they'll be things to consider once Xcite is released.

Anyway, it's great to see you're all doing well. Here we are on the verge of Pulsar's 10th anniversary and still nothing has managed to catch up to it yet. Talk about being ahead of its time!
Uncle E
JRR Shop
TEL: 949-553-8898
FAX: 949-263-1818
http://www.jrrshop.com
http://www.justroots.com
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ladies and Gentlemen........................Uncle Eric.

When ya' gonna break down and buy a Pro for dealers cost? :lol:

I am exited about the possibilities of using Prowave Modular version 1.2 in XITE-1. I can use SpaceF Satellites, RDII Modules, and Flexor III.

I Am Sure That Dog Will Hunt. :wink:

Brotha' Man Ben,.....Do you use the Modular vrsion at all? If so share a couple pics if you could. You seem far along with CW Modualr and I am sure you can make wicked pre.'s