Presets for Philharmonic Orchestration

Preset lists and tools for Scope modules

Moderators: valis, garyb

ognen

Presets for Philharmonic Orchestration

Post by ognen »

Hello, i am new to this and i would like to have information on where to find presets for mastering Philharmonic Orchestration. Thank you for your help.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well first of all this area is for posting presets, not asking for them. Use the Off topic as this isn't even a request for Scope related presets - what is Philharmonic Orchestration anyway? A Plug-in?
ognen

Post by ognen »

Firstly, sorry for that i did :cry: .
Secondly, Philharmonic Orchestration is not a plugin, but meaning of arrangement (philharmonic) of the orchester in the real world. I am composing in 'modern' classical arrangement, so i need presets for mastering the virtual instrument i use(for example what reverbration, compression, maximizing, stereo imaging etc i need to use for the 1st section violins, what for the 2nd, what for bass instruments, woodwinds etc). Clear? :wink:
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

as a general tip, if you are new to the process, use one instance of a reverb. get to know how to tweak it, and follow these easy guidelines...

- imagine you are sitting in the crowd. now imagine where the different instruments are placed in front of you and pan them accordingly for L/R position.

- regarding the reverb, the further back on the stage the instrument/section is from your "seat", apply more reverb.

Use ONE instance of a plugin first, and try out these basics. use the reverb as a an aux and adjust the "send" amount to differentiate, the more you send the further back the target will (apper to) be. i apologize if this is a too low level tip, but its a great way of understanding these effects instead of just throwing in 10 reverbs and using presets.
dawman

Post by dawman »

That's the best advice right there, can't add a thing to it.

Brotha' Man Piddi, You could make a great video producer, you have the eye of the camera.
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

Good advice Piddi. Actually I found the original question asked pretty funny, the way it was phrased. Where's the preset that mixes your tune properly anyway? Or is there a plugin that does the job?
ognen

Post by ognen »

Thank you for your advice piddi. Actually, i experiment with combinations just like you do, but i have realized that my nerves aren't created for such thing :roll: , so that's why i am asking if someone can offer me a patch that i can use it :) . Don't worry, because for every project made with the patch i will mention you who will offer it.
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

To make a really convincing sounding orchestration, I would think is not suited for the faint at heart.. You might have to do a bit of tweaking despite the fact it takes a lot of time - I too get annoyed with details involved in a mixdown and the slow pace of it all, but you will learn something. From what little I know, I doubt there is a single preset or technique involved, it totally depends on how you want the mix to sound. Are there other elements in the mix besides orchestration (cold hearted orb that rules the night etc)? If it's a standalone orchestra, how do you want it to sound? Brash, brassy, airy, stark, lush? Smooth or scratchy? Punchy or honky?

If this turns into a discussion about orchestration, I'll be interested in following it, I have lots to learn in that regard.
ognen

Post by ognen »

I am glad that you are interested in discussing orchestration, it is very nice and very noble theme to be discussed :D . Maybe we need to be in another area to talk about orchestration? :-?

Look, i have good knowledge about mastering the sound, but not good enough for acoustics. So, i need to know how, what, when etc.(if not offered a patch) the effects patch to be implemented in mastering each instrument for film score, for ordenery philharmonic orchestration etc. I only know well how to pan them according to their position. :) (sorry for my english if you cannot understand something :( )
hubird

Post by hubird »

I'd say, important is the 'room'you wanne have the orchestra in.
So, an impulses based reverb like altitube could give you the characteristics of an existing concert hall.
Second, if you want it real, use a 'true'stereo reverb (stereo inputs), the reverb (early reflections etc.) will reflect the room positioning of the orchestral parts.
Use the best stuff you can find, external effects are almost always better than software versions, impulse verbs are static by it's own and could need some subtle chorussing.
ognen

Post by ognen »

interesting info about impulse verbs. So, it is up to me to make my own patch with your valuable help guys. thank you in advance for helping me
Gatam

Post by Gatam »

to place a virtual orchestra in a virtual space, you have several things to deal with
at first, like you said, you have to pan each instrument to place them in a width space
one thing to deal with is that all the sample library provides stereo sampled instrument, so it's important to use a good plugin which place the stereo sample on left or right,
i use logic 7, and the mixer pan of logic is not ok, but the DirMixer plugin can truly pan stereo source
the second thing is to place instrument in the depth of the scene
strings are on the first line, woodwinds on the second, brass on the third, percussion on the last line
the scene frequently looks like an half circle
there is 2 things to achieve that
first, if you you use something like the dir-mixer of logic , you can simulate an acoustic phenomenon: the most an instrument is far the less he has a wide stereo
so, we can keep strings as they are, reduce a little the stereo width of the woodwinds, a little more for the brass ...etc ...
the second acoustic phenomenon is the early reflection reactions
if you are in the public, the most an instrument is far from you, the most there is a little delay before you ear the sound,
you can test and experiment with early reflection delay (only a few ms)
on early reflection for each instrument group is a good starting point (Strings/ Woods / Brass / Percu )
it's very important to use the same IR or algorithm for ER

the last thing is to send everything in 1 reverb, like said above,
one unique reverb to keep a coherent space, and deal with the wet and dry and avoid to drown your orchestra in a huge and deep cathedral :D