looking into/modding existing devices ?

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nebelfuerst

looking into/modding existing devices ?

Post by nebelfuerst »

Is there a way to look into or even modify existing devices ?
If I load some devs into SDK7, everything seems to be locked..
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
mausmuso

Re: looking into/modding existing devices ?

Post by mausmuso »

Yes everything is locked and you can't modify them.
I believe you can load devices into an empty module and then link the controls of the originals to a new panel layout.
I have not done this but I remember reading about it sometime back.
Likely not what you want do though.
maus
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

What makes me wonder are devices of creamware which are modded, e.g. minimod or bluesynth from Hummel or PinkBigmixer.
These seem to be modded original synths. Is there a way to unlock or are there devices which were not locked available ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
valis

Post by valis »

Those were also made a very long time ago. There have been various efforts at additional levels of protection in the Scope ecosystem beyond the keying system which we directly interact with as end users. I would imagine locking the SDK down was a necessity when people like Timeworks, Brainworx and so on became interested in the platform. But that's just off the top of my head, I have no internal knowledge of such things and will defer here to anyone who is more informed and experienced...
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

If you are in a business relation with S|C you can ask Holger, if he could unlock a specific device (if it's owned by S|C) and send it to you.
astroman

Post by astroman »

valis wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:55 pm ... I would imagine locking the SDK down was a necessity when people like Timeworks, Brainworx and so on became interested in the platform. But that's just off the top of my head, I have no internal knowledge of such things and will defer here to anyone who is more informed and experienced...
it was a problem much earlier, when developers realized there was no effective way to hide their individual algorithmic approaches from curious eyes. Quantec (Yardstick makers) quit before even starting for that reason and Warp69 once mentioned it here ages ago.
valis

Post by valis »

So that was a safe guess :)