Side Chain Routing Field

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mausmuso

Side Chain Routing Field

Post by mausmuso »

Hi There,
I am hoping someone can point me to a module that allows connection of any/all available outs so I can drive a compressor side chain.
2448 has such a routing field that gives a drop down menu of available connections.

The other thing that is eluding me is how to hide/show connections so you can turn a channel strip from mono to stereo and the right pads appear/disappear.

Any help will be appreciated
maus
Liquid EDGE

Re: Side Chain Routing Field

Post by Liquid EDGE »

No help unfortunately, but today I realised that all the stock compressors that used to be able to do this, Since scope 7, that function seems to have disappeared/not happen.

I’m looking at what compressors will be able to do side chaining. Only had a very quick look today. Seems a time works one allows side chaining but that means using the compressor before entering the mixer and routing any output from wherever into it. Didn’t actually test, or test the stock compressors to see if doing outside the mixer and routing to the side chain inputs will at least work.

I’m starting to use the modular mixer v2 more, so want the stock compressors to be able to do this again!!! As yes at least the STM2448 compressors built in do this fine! But I’m using that mixer less and less!
dante

Post by dante »

DAS 1610 does sidechaining : http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_11/1610_mst.htm Check out the 'Side Chain Setup' tab there.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Cool, but that’s still outside of the mixer.

The convenience of plonking a compressor into an insert in the mixer and then on the compressor right clicking on the side chain input box(s) and having a drop down list pop up of every available output to drive the compression is and was neat!
spacef

Post by spacef »

I think that routing field could have been abandonned because it doesn't save in presets or projects ?

Anyway,
Sorry to invade this thread.
@LiquidEdge

--> https://spacef-devices.com/DOWNLOADS/Mo ... ressor.zip

I did it after reading the thread, as I thought it might be helpful?
It is a plain compressor with sidechain that can be from ModMixer modulation inputs.
Also has different stereo modes with sidechain stereo or mono.
The "Mono" Mode outputs on L/R channels, so it is mono to stereo but doesn't do any stereo special effect.

not a beauty contest
COMPRESS-BETA.jpg
COMPRESS-BETA.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 10584 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Fantastic job SpaceF, look forward to trying this out too. Thanks.

Beauty is in the eye of the holder so they say, and this looks "Simply Gorgeous" :)
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Many thanks Spacef. You are star, respect sir! 👍

Yeah, the thought did cross my mind about the side chains being abandoned (for now) as routing not being saved. (But I got in the habit of always making notes!)
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

spacef wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:55 pm I did it after reading the thread, as I thought it might be helpful?
WE LOVE YOU :P
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
spacef

Post by spacef »

here is slightly better one
- Added sidechain gain booster +12/18/24 dB (probably necessary when a filter is used on the sidechain, 12dB did not seem enough to me).
- output gain was at +10dB which was too loud. now 0dB.

https://spacef-devices.com/DOWNLOADS/Mo ... orBETA.zip

Enjoy !

It works well with scope modulators too (lfo, sequencers etc).
COMPRESS-BETA.jpg
COMPRESS-BETA.jpg (75.57 KiB) Viewed 10459 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks again. Yes the gain is a very useful addition.

Just been trying it out but I am a bit confused about how best to set this in Modular Mixer 2.

As an example of where I am getting confused, let's use the M4 module from Modular Mixer v2 and take the most basic example of a mono kick track coming in on Modular Mixer v2 channel 1 and a mono bass track on Mixer channel 2. I just cant seem to figure out where to put the ModMixCompressor. I have tried inserting ModMixCompressor in both channels insert slots and also tried all the different routing options from the Mod Mixer selection but can't seem to understand the correct way to set this up. Sorry if I am being thicjk here, maybe a bit tired and can't see the wood for the trees. But if you havw a spare moment to post up a few examples with some pics I would really aprreciate it. Cheers.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I just tried, and I did struggle a bit and found the answer. There is a little bug but it works :-)

Answer -- > http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... 30#p337630

Will try to make a video as soon as my phone is charged, and a correction of the device.
I will continue support on the other thread, because it is way off topic in this one :-)

Thanks for the report !!!
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website