Is it possible to create a new modern sampler with the SDK?

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

YISH313z

Is it possible to create a new modern sampler with the SDK?

Post by YISH313z »

I am working on becoming a contributing member to the Scope Developer community, and I am wondering if this possible. Even to the extent of adding more formats.
HUROLURA

Re: Is it possible to create a new modern sampler with the S

Post by HUROLURA »

I think you first have to define what you call a modern sampler ... :D

Then you would probably need some new tools to achieve what you have in mind, except if you run the sampler oscillator part native and process them through scope collection of filters or FX.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

I would love an emu like sampler with mod matrix and maybe pluggable filter :)
So i could replacement my emu sampler soundwise!
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

I wanna keep the same "purpose" of the STS series but with a more intuitive interface as well as add some things like disk streaming(if possible), more polyphony, more sample formats supported, a much more intuitive key mapper, maybe even exchangeable filters, until I get my hands on the SDK and see what is and what is not possible, I'm just brainstorming.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

Well, sounds great.. and would be a step in right direction for replacing out my emu anyway :)
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i think if we are going to make a sampler to come close to what we have in hardware

then we need to pick all the best atributes from al of them

for the emu we want there modular aproach to control of controllers

from emu also a z plane filter emulation along with all the other scope filters available and make the filter section like

john bowens satalite series so we can add flexor filters spacef or scope or rd2 modules

from ensoniq we want wave modulation playback loop modulation start modulation

from roland the actual set is good 4 layers with each its own fitler and amp section with the possiblity of vector mixing from the final vca,s which then go into
there respective panners

hard drive streeming unless the samples are small enough to reside in the portion of memory that is allocated for sample playback

ram playback is faster than streaming

the ability to have nown good formats wave sf2 sfx akai but sf2 and sfz rex would be best as all converting programs use these formats

and there are thousands of available libraries

a good multisample engine with good loop support for making your own sample libraries with a good visual screen for all editing

the use of 8bit 12bit samples so that you can have proper grunge from that sampler type

and nice scripting support like kontakt where you have made all your sample library and then turn it into a rompler looking instrument player with all the settings you would like

so if you have a d50 and have multisampled the four partials of patches you have created and have made each partial as a sf2 file and have made 200-300 patches of 4 partials each as sf2 files then you could do a script so that the sampler looks like a virtual d50 but with your sf2 files

or a virus or what ever you want to record

this sampler would then be a dsp omnisphere or what ever instrument you want to make

all this is possible but would need a good amount of people to work on as many heads are better than 1

i would be up for helping this sampler be a reality
Last edited by jhulk on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

All of those features you spoke of is what we need.

Im all in as well, once I get the sdk from S:C.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

Maybe my next weeks contribution to OPEN SCOPE will be opening my ZAM+ modules. They are simply recreated old standard players, but maybe one can even dig deeper. In SDK there are some dsp-modules which could help in the hands of a real coder (I'm not).

The trick was, that the old Pulsar I (I still own my Pulsar from 1998/1999?) modules were not protected and cw had nothing against modifying them.

With standard modules sampler eat way too much dsps. It seems as if it has to be programmed... Or what does new SDK offer?
sharc

Post by sharc »

I'm hoping Open Scope will make it possible to create a new sampler. It certainly looks like that will be the case.

Would be a really cool feature to be able to load Scope plugins (even VST's) and freeze sample them ...kind of like Disco DSP Discovery except without the random crashes.

Extra modulation options like PolyAT and OSC would also get my vote.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

poly at would be good i have 9 capable ensoniq polt at synths that could get used

dont see the point in osc as seeing you can make midi templates up any way

pure modular compatible sampler like any cable everywhere a.c.e. woul get my vote

with a plug in architecture like the satilite system from john bowen

and seeing we have mod 2/3/4/flexor3/rd2/blackbox2

any thing is possible

what i would like to see is wav osc with its own loop view so you can set your self with wave loop modulation
and a container format loading pool that will except various sampler formats akai and sf2 sfz multisample multi velocity layer files

and modulation matrix like the ultra samplers where you can take a control modulate a different control to trigger envelopes and all type of modular madness with easy pull down systems for source and destinations
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I'd like a combination STS and VDAT with 'long-sample' recording and fast cropping/punches for loops and/or just straight-forward track editing.

Thus a combination sampler and DAW - but with all the 'greatest hit' sampler features listed above.

This way you could record performances live and snip/cut/trim in more-or-less real-time fashion.

I'm of course presuming also that this sampler could integrate with ParseQ and whatever developments Julian has up his sleeve :wink:

Greg