preset problems

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

winger

preset problems

Post by winger »

I am trying to figure out how to do the parameters presets. I found the HOW TO -- PresetList building instruction by Shroomz from a while back. But I am getting stuck on number 5. It says to drag the val across to the parameters list. When I try to do this cursor turns into an arrow with a cross through is so I cannot do this. The parameters window is transparent, I can see the routine window stuff in the middle. Not sure what I am missing.

The docs don't discuss this window. What do the icons in the upper corner mean. I understand the freeze, then there is an icon that looks like 2 pieces of paper(clicking this does nothing obvious), one that is an arrow that is blue (runs red on first click, to 3 yellowish arrow on the next click, then back to blue), then a clipboard, then a >(when i put the mouse over this I get write uuid file, read uuid file, create from uuid file, assign new uuids) then the close.
mark winger
roy thinnes

Re: preset problems

Post by roy thinnes »

1.first you have to drag the controls (potis etc) to the Parameter list (point 5)
after that, you have to create a Preset List (point 7). point6 (renaming) is important too. all that is written in Shroomz’ little but excellent tutorial.
2. (icons) this is for copy ("paper"), transfer (arrow), paste (clipboard), load/save.
I use this just for GOs. don’t know if or what sense it makes with the Parameter window, but in any case you can live w/o it.
btw the docs do discuss this topic (Project window/ToolBar dialogs)
winger

Post by winger »

Thanks for the reply. But I cannot do point 5 like you suggest. I am supposed to drag the pot value to the parameter list. This does not work. When I try to drag the muout pointer get an x over it not allowing the drag.

Maybe I have the wrong window for 'paramaters'.. I click window->paramater->paramaters. Is this the correct window for point 5?

When I open it I get a short window that has <No Parameters available> in the header and nothing it body. If I enlarge the window a box withing the window appaers that is transparent allowing me to see the routing window below it. I can even select routes and devices right thought this window. This is definately not a normal window. Am I looking at the right thing? This parameters list seems to completely useless.

I am getting very frustrated with this.
mark winger
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

ok I understand that you’re frustrated. I have no clue what’s wrong because apparently you did the right steps.
hm, maybe a fresh sdk install would help?
this is not normal.
winger

Post by winger »

I was thinking fresh install too.
mark winger
winger

Post by winger »

Re-installed, no change.
mark winger
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

ok then, let’s try this:
-create a new project (File/New)
-draw an empty synth into it (Circ.Design/Basics)- Circuit mode!
-double-click on that empty synth
-change to Surface mode
-draw a GO, say: a potentiometer onto synth’s surface
-in ProjectExplorer, select EmptySynth
-open Parameters (Window/Param./Parameters): do you see some pre-configuered preset parameters? Freeze it
-select the pot on synth surface
-draw "Val" (PadList) to the Parameters of EmptySynth - window
ok?
if not, then there is something utterly wrong with your setup.
winger

Post by winger »

.....open Parameters (Window/Param./Parameters): do you see some pre-configuered preset parameters? Freeze it....

No, the Parameters of Empty Synth window is blank.

....-draw "Val" (PadList) to the Parameters of EmptySynth - window.....

Nothing happens.

Is there any problem with Scope at 4.5 and the SDK at 4.0??

I may try uninstalling everything and starting over.
mark winger
winger

Post by winger »

Wow,

I reinstalled from scratch and now the paramater window is completely different. I can even drag stuff in to it now.
mark winger
winger

Post by winger »

OK, at this point I can save the device and all the values are restored when reloaded, but I cannot load the presets. I can save them (at least they appear to be saved) but when I try to load a preset nothing happens, no knobs move.

The parameters list shows Preset File1, preset File 2 and cwLastRestoredPresets are shown as not assigned in the Module column. Is this normal?

The paramater windows indicates all my controls are stored in preset and restored in preset. Is there something else required to make the presets load?
mark winger
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

The parameters list shows Preset File1, preset File 2 and cwLastRestoredPresets are shown as not assigned in the Module column. Is this normal?
not at all! it’s an hint that you did something wrong, maybe:
-you accidentally deleted/replaced the GO
-you didn’t freeze the Parameters List
delete all "not assigned " entries and make a new try, precisely following Shroomz’ instructions.
hey, this ain’t difficult at all, believe me.
winger

Post by winger »

Agreed, is should not be difficult. However, there is so much going on under the covers, if you make a mistake it is not clear where you went wrong and what do do to fix it.

I did follow the Shroomz directions, every step. I assume I missunderstood one of the steps, or one of them failed and I did not know what ever.

To do it again can I simply delete the paremeter list and preset parameter list and do all the steps again?
mark winger
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

first of all, all these "not assigned" entries have to go - just select and delete them, one by one. shouldn’t be difficult for one or two GOs resp. list entries.
-btw, you are making a test device, just to learn how to make presets and stuff, or? at least I woukd recommend that; if you’re familiar with it, you could go for "real" devices.-
To do it again can I simply delete the paremeter list and preset parameter list and do all the steps again?
Don’t delete the Preset List in Explorer.
If you have the feeling that you irreversible did something wrong, just load a new EmptySynth device and try again. just one or two GOs, and then Shroomz’ instructions. takes 1-2min max.
btw in these instructions, I’ve found one little incoherency, namely
p. 12: Preset File 1/2 instead of Preset List 1/2
in point 13, the LastRestoredPreset is meant, not LastRestoredPreset (unknown).
winger

Post by winger »

Thanks, I'll try again tonight.

I had realized the preset list 1 and 2 were wrong.

"LastRestoredPreset is meant, not LastRestoredPreset (unknown)" They look identical to me. I assume you were pointing out a spelling error(I don't have the instructions with me right now). It is pretty clear what he meant on this one since there are no values even close to this name.
mark winger
winger

Post by winger »

I had a copy of the project prior to adding the preset stuff, so I started from scratch and followed the directions to the letter. As you said, it is very easy. But, it still does not work. Maybe it has something to do with the way I did the project.

I think I will create a tiny little project with 1 knob and see if I can make it work.
mark winger
winger

Post by winger »

Ok gurus, I cannot get this to work. The process seems easy, everyone says it works, the why can't I get it to work. I created a super simple project. I started with and empty effect. In the curcuit I put a master gain 12db. I connected the inputs to effect input, the output to effect out. I then added a horizontal fader which I connected to the gain node on the fader. Then I went to surface and added a fader there as well. I selected the fader, clicked on val in the padlist, switched to circuit view, cliicked on the fader, selected the val and clicked connect. Module done.

Then I went to surface view and opened the parameters and preset list windows. I selected empty effect in the project explorer and froze both windows.

Then I selected the fader in the surface and then dragged it to the paramaters list and renamed it fader. Then I clicked create in the preset list, opened the preset list and dragged fader to the preset list. Then I clicked preset in the project explorer and dragged Preset file 1 and 2 and LastRestoredPresets from the padlist to the paramaters. I renamed LastRestoredPresets to cwLastRestoredPresets.

Then I went to the tope of circiut view, right clicked on empty effect, save as new effect. Closed sdk. Opened scope 4.5 and loaded the device. Opend the surface and preset list. Double clicked midi controller. Clicked preset then store and named it 1. Then I moved the fader to 100%. Clicked preset again and store, said no to overwrite and named it 2. Now I should be able double client 1, to reload the first preset. Nope, neither one opens.

If I save the project, then restore it, the device loads as it was saved.

What did I miss????????
mark winger
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

1. when you copy the MasterGain to the circuit, first delete its panel and surfaceInterface, you won’t need it, it only disturbs/confuses you.
2. after copying (circuit mode), double-click the emptyEffect and you see the circuitry. change to Surface view and drag the fader fo the panel of the empty effect. (I don’t know why you added 2 faders?)
3. then do the preset list & PPL thingies as you described
4. open Scope 4.5 and load the device
5. check out if the presets work by changing fader settings & saving + loading presets.

what do you mean with "Double clicked midi controller"? :-?
winger

Post by winger »

That worked now. It seems like deleting the surfaceinterface and show panels for all the internal modules was the problem. I wnet back to the original project and removed them and now it works.

2-there were 2 because that is the way it was done in the first use docs.
5-double click midi controller. My mistake, should have created a bank the double clicked on it, not the midi controller bank.
mark winger