delaying a MIDI note/event

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

delaying a MIDI note/event

Post by bosone »

is there a way to build a device that function as a midi delay?

for some reason, i'd like to try to implement a device which introduces a delay when i press a note on the keyboard.

so that i press the note
some 10s or 100s milliseconds pass
the note is forwarded.

it has to work on MIDI events and not on other thing...

any idea?

thanks!
Shroomz~>

Re: delaying a MIDI note/event

Post by Shroomz~> »

There's an async delay in the DSP Module List, but I haven't tried it directly with midi signals & even if you get it to work with a midi signal, you're gonna need a lot of them to build any sort of worthwhile midi delay, so I'm sure there's an easier way.

Mark
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://www.midisolutions.com
It's an option to using Scope.
Hardware units used on ebay are very cheap too.
bosone

Post by bosone »

the hardware solution is too much... :roll:

my problem is that i have the "midibox sequencer" (www.ucapps.de) but when i try to record in realtime the patterns with the keyboard, i sistematically have the steps recorded "before" the beat. and i don't think is my timing...

so, since the keyboard is routed to scope, and form here it goes to the sequencer, i'd like to check a way to "delay" the midi notes sent to the sequencer. but i don't know if this solution will work or not...
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Why not record the live midi data to a sequencer on your computer first. That way you can edit & organize the recorded midi before sending it out to be recorded into the external sequencer. Doing it that way you might even be able to dump .mid files out to the sequencer if it supports that.
bosone

Post by bosone »

i did that once, but the cool thing of the midibox seq is the ability to record sequences live.

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=12078.0

anyway, i have to admit that (even i built it some years ago) i'm not using it a lot, and i still have to explore all of its possiblities...
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

bosone wrote:i did that once, but the cool thing of the midibox seq is the ability to record sequences live.
I can understand that, but if you route the midi through a sequencer like Cubase etc before it goes out to your midibox, not only would you have the option to do what I suggested above IE- easily edit & organize the recorded midi, but you'd also be able to delay the live midi signal either in the sequencer itself or with a plugin if you wanted to record straight into the midibox.

cheers,
Mark