unloading OSC from a synth

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

unloading OSC from a synth

Post by bosone »

i am tryuing to build my first synth with SDK
pretty hard work, but if it will work it will have some nice specs, like multiple MOD source, 3 OSC (from modular III: waldorf, sampleOSC; waveOSC), you can modulate pitch, volume, filter... it will be partly inspired to the "morpheus" modular patch.

my question: in order to save DSP power, iis there a possibiltiy to "unload" an OSC section from the synth? i.e. if a patch uses just 1 or 2 of the 3 osc, can i unload the remaining from the DSP?

thanks!
Shroomz~>

Re: unloading OSC from a synth

Post by Shroomz~> »

DynVoicesOfParent is one option. Put one of these inside any module or circuit section & toggling it to '0' unloads it from the dsps (although not completely).

Mark
bosone

Post by bosone »

thanks
this works for effects?

and this brings me another question: how can i arrange things in order to set the voices number of a synth from the SFP live bar???
for now i can just specify a number in dynVoicesofParents module (so maybe you can control it from the synth surface), but in now way i was able to "Link" the voice number to the live bar, like in stock synths...
how can i do this?

thanks!
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

bosone wrote:... it will be partly inspired to the "morpheus" modular patch.
Hi Bosone, one of my dreams is the EXACT (EMU) morpheus patch ported to a device with a clear and usable interface.
I have SDK, I've done some FX, but I'm not into synths... I really cannot understand how to build those devices! :-?
I've never find a teacher about this.
Anyway if U need a hand for you project (inteface layout, some ideas) call me ;)

Cheers.

ps. nice thing your idea :D
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
bosone

Post by bosone »

hi!
the basic synth layout seems now completed.
i have to build the surface (wish me good lucK!!), then (if everything works...) maybe on monday i will post a very preliminary beta version

i'd like to add BMP and tempo synth to the LFO, but i don't know how to do that... and beside this i have no idea about how to build a custom surface with BMP impages or other nice things... i have the idea to share the whole project, so that maybe someone can learn and help to improve this synth...

for now the specs are:

IT WILL REQUIRE MODULAR III

sound sources: mono sampler (with wave pool), wavetable, waldorf, ringmodulator
poly-filter from modular 3. i though about FM modulation bewteen wavetable and waldorf osc but i wasnt able to implement it!

modulation sources: 2 LFO, 2 ADSR, 1 more source chosen between multistage env and sample and hold (any other ideas for another modulator???). velocity affects ADSR level and filter cutoff.

modulation destinations (you can mix the mod sources, separately, to any of the destinations): pitch and amplitude of the 3 osc, waldorf wave mod, filter cutoff, panning

i preferred to avoid using built-in FX (i'm not able to build something special....) and i have added 2 insert FX
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Cool!
No problem IMO for the modular requirement, I think almost the 99% of Scope users have Modular registred in their system ;)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
bosone

Post by bosone »

the first version of this synth is available in the device section...
i will share the project soon...
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

bosone wrote:thanks
this works for effects?
sure, it works for any module or circuit of modules that's loaded on dsp. A '0' val = off dsp, a '1' val =1 voice etc etc. This is outlined in the 'Attributes' descriptions section of the documentation.
bosone wrote:and this brings me another question: how can i arrange things in order to set the voices number of a synth from the SFP live bar??? for now i can just specify a number in dynVoicesofParents module (so maybe you can control it from the synth surface), but in now way i was able to "Link" the voice number to the live bar, like in stock synths... how can i do this?
Connect the voice pads of all DynVoicesOfParent modules throughout your synth circuit to the voice pad of the main DVOP module inside the first circuit level of the parent module. Only do this for circuit sections which need to be polyphonic though.

Mark
bosone

Post by bosone »

Last edited by bosone on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

DynVoicesOfParent :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Shroomz~> wrote:This is outlined in the 'Attributes' descriptions section of the documentation.
My mistake, that's not where I read it at all. Can't remember where it was now.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hey! I won't answer any more questions if they get deleted after I answer them. :P
bosone

Post by bosone »

Shroomz~> wrote:Hey! I won't answer any more questions if they get deleted after I answer them. :P
:P ... i asked "what is DVOP module"? then, three seconds later i realized the answer and i deleted the post in order not to appear so dumb! :D :D :D

but... i have just ONE DynVoicesOfParent module in my project, located in the uppermost module (the one which contain everythin)... is this correct?
i gave up the idea about unloading OSC, because they are located in the main surface...
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

bosone wrote:but... i have just ONE DynVoicesOfParent module in my project, located in the uppermost module (the one which contain everythin)... is this correct?
Well, if you have your whole circuit located in the uppermost level of the main parent module then you probably don't need extra DVOP modules . They would probably only be useful in the majority of cases for loading/unloading modules or parts of the circuit from dsp.
bosone wrote:i gave up the idea about unloading OSC, because they are located in the main surface...
This is pretty bad Bosone. You should ideally try to reconstruct the synth without using any modular modules at all & if you really really need to use a modular module it should be used at circuit level, not surface level. The way you're building it will make it practically impossible for someone to build a new gui without having to reconstruct the synth circuit themselves, possibly from scratch.

Mark
bosone

Post by bosone »

Shroomz~> wrote: This is pretty bad Bosone. You should ideally try to reconstruct the synth without using any modular modules at all & if you really really need to use a modular module it should be used at circuit level, not surface level. The way you're building it will make it practically impossible for someone to build a new gui without having to reconstruct the synth circuit themselves, possibly from scratch.
the "problem" is that for the module i used (see the alchemy synth!) i found no possibilty to locate the module themselves at the circuit level, because certain text fields (wave selector for the waveosc, sample loading for the sampleOsc, filter type) are not linkable to anything. the M3 modules have a protected surface, they cannot be customized and for this reason they must be brought at the surface level

(if someone know how to make it in the other way with SDK please tell me! :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

The atoms & modules you need are either in the Circuit Design folders or in some cases in the DSPModuleList. The tools are certainly there to recreate those modular modules.

You could set up some internal midi control to access the modular modules, but that's not an ideal way to do it for various reasons, so I wouldn't do it that way.

Mark
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

edit - :oops: