Caligarie Truespace 7.6 = now free

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Caligarie Truespace 7.6 = now free

Post by spacef »

Caligari Truespace 7.6 is now free.
It was not two month ago.
The adavantage of CT is that it is quite easy to use compared to other 3d apps, as it is made for aspiring CG artists, and there is a commercial Raytracer, VRay, which is 299 USD (it's much more expensive normally). VRay is probably the best renderer known to me and I haven't seen it cheaper than this (but if you know an even cheaper one, i am taker)
TS7.6 already include some raytracer so you may not need Vray (virtualight and lightworks, integrated in TS - and which are really enough for potis and surfaces)
http://www.caligari.com/
Well, for those interested....
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Re: Caligarie Truespace 7.6 = now free

Post by kylie »

well, according to http://www.heise.de/newsticker/3D-Softw ... ung/113376 (german) it was available for free almost two months ago... :) (26.07.2008)
you have to register with caligari (or maybe more precisely: microsoft, who bought caligari) to download it. the video tutorials (you had to pay for also) are free for download as well.

-greetings, markus-

ps: stardust, the article above mentions some of the features, so you might find it interesting...
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
spacef

Post by spacef »

and like, 15 days sooner than that , there was an email for registered users (i had v 5) offering it for a bargain price (of around 300 usd if i remember :-)
It was big surprise a few weeks ago when i discovered it became free.
so it was not free exactly 2 month ago ;-)

@Stradust: compare to blender ? i don't know blender, last time i checked, the raytracer was 500 €/USD . In TS you have a free raytracer. and you can use Blender's own tracer as it seems to import TS (which is fast in modelling and previewing)
of course TS has animation. not only keyframe but also more advanced stuff like in Maya Trax.

kylie wrote:well, according to http://www.heise.de/newsticker/3D-Softw ... ung/113376 (german) it was available for free almost two months ago... :) (26.07.2008)
you have to register with caligari (or maybe more precisely: microsoft, who bought caligari) to download it. the video tutorials (you had to pay for also) are free for download as well.

-greetings, markus-

ps: stardust, the article above mentions some of the features, so you might find it interesting...
Last edited by spacef on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

spacef wrote:and like, 15 days sooner than that , there was an email for registered users (i had v 5) offering it for a bargain price (of around 300 usd if i remember :-)
It was big surprise a few weeks ago when i discovered it became free.
so it was not free exactly 2 month ago ;-)
I did not say almost for no reason... :)
but the upgrade offer is pretty steep, considering they should have known about the free release 2 weeks later...
did they tempt you ? :wink:

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
spacef

Post by spacef »

fortunately not... :-)
i was betting on waiting until they get v8 and get v7 cheaper... may be there will be no v8...