dsk agreement

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

winger

dsk agreement

Post by winger »

I am resquestion an dsk from sonic core and I have a quesiton about the agreement. It says:

Licensee grants to SonicCore a nonexclusive, irrevocable, transferable license to copy and reproduce Licensee Software and to license, market or otherways distribute Licensee Software to others users of the SCOPE Platform at nocost to SonicCore.

Does this mean anything developed using the dsk, sonic core can reproduce and sell without payment to the person who delevoped the device?
If so, do those who are marketing 3rd party devices use different tools, or do they pay sonic core for the use of the sdk?
mark winger
HUROLURA

Re: dsk agreement

Post by HUROLURA »

I think you understand you understand right.

3rd Party (John Bowen, Adern, SpaceF ...) have the former Scope DP (Development Platform) tool they bought for a large amount of money to CreamWare to be allowed to sell their plugs.
A tool to generate up to Scope 4.5 keys is probably included.

Now the situation is changing with Scope 5.0 with a new key management process and these 3rd party have to deal with SonicCore to agree on how to sell their plug for the new Scope version.

With the SDK, you do not have the problem has you are producing plug with no such key. You just provide what you create with the SDK as free plug for the Scope community.
Or you can discuss the topic with SonicCore if you want to let them sell your plug (I think this is just what happen with the SurAudio Lab plugs VOID and COS).
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

stardust wrote: But you are right. SDK even gives all your ideas to creamware (ehmmm soniccore ??)
And share your devices with the fantastic scope user community !!! :D

As long as you protect the device created, the result is shared, not the way to build it. There is maybe more information accesseible to everyone in a modular patch (soundwise I mean).

CheerZ
winger

Post by winger »

Thanks for the replies. I was curious about this. I have no intention of marketing anything at this point.

But it just seemed a little od that if someone spent a large amount of time developing a device that has commercial value, that soniccore has the right to it without compensating the devloper for his time either buy buying the device or paying royalties. Soniccore is protecting their intellectual property and rightly so. But someone who develops a device has his/her own intellectual property forfeit to soniccore.

Sounds like a record deal almost!!!
mark winger
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

winger wrote: But it just seemed a little od that if someone spent a large amount of time developing a device that has commercial value, that soniccore has the right to it without compensating the devloper for his time either buy buying the device or paying royalties. Soniccore is protecting their intellectual property and rightly so. But someone who develops a device has his/her own intellectual property forfeit to soniccore.

Sounds like a record deal almost!!!
If you provide your device as free download, I do not see SonicCore selling them !!!
I would not see SonicCore reselling it.
The only possibility is to provide it as a free "gift" with a board for non internet user.
So if you spend time on a great device, you spend it for your own fun and for the benefit of scope user community.
The benefit to SonicCore is only that people need more and more DSP to run all thoose great free and commercial devices and then either buy new card ... or wait a little while for the Xite-1 !!!

CheerZ
astroman

Post by astroman »

winger wrote:...But it just seemed a little od that if someone spent a large amount of time developing a device that has commercial value, that soniccore has the right to it without compensating the devloper for his time either buy buying the device or paying royalties...
as mentioned earlier (a couple of years back...) such software is fairly expensive, usually selling in the 5-10k Euro range. SonicCore gives you access to a tool most of us could hardly afford otherwise.
The deal is that they require you to purchase a certain amount of hardware and reserve certain rights.
They'd hardly exploit those rights to the degree you signed, as they are folks with common sense, but this is the easiest way to keep control ;)
Imho it's very important to assure a quality level of commercial devices as high as possible.
Aside from that you actually can use the SDK as a toolkit to develope methods in a variety of environments - noone keeps you from coding an algorithm according to your 'SDK-prototype' in a different language once you verified it's working.
SDK is focussed on audio, but not restricted to it at all. It's a very rapid prototyping kit imho.

cheers, Tom
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

astroman wrote:Aside from that you actually can use the SDK as a toolkit to develope methods in a variety of environments - noone keeps you from coding an algorithm according to your 'SDK-prototype' in a different language once you verified it's working.
SDK is focussed on audio, but not restricted to it at all. It's a very rapid prototyping kit imho.
Exactly - thats what I do. Some use Synth Edit or Reaktor for prototyping, but I really like the Scope DP/SDK environment. Unfortunately I sometimes need 192kHz or oversampling, then I use MS Visual C++ Express for developing.