mp3 encoding with DSP-power?

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I have already proposed this to creamware-developpers, but they did not give a clear answer...
Proposal: Using the DSP-Power of pulsar to handle mp3 encoding without using the Main-CPU´s capacity. I mean, it should be possible to use that tremendous power of the sharcs to have a (lame-based) mp3-encoder running seperate, ideally even without having to start the pulsar surface, but having that encoder use the DSP-power as a stand-alone tool while pulsar is not in use. I have 21 DSPs and I truly believe these should be by far faster processing the encoding than my P3/500 CPU ever could.

What do you believe, would this be possible?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

It is possible, but not very likely to happen.

someone was mentioning on the pulsar-scope yahoogroup that they had a dsp card for encoding mp3s,(16 times faster than realtime he said) and it sounded like some consumer card, so its probably cheap.
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I´ll even go a bit further with my development proposal:
Could you imagine a sampler like the STS5000 to be updated with the ability to take mp3 as samples´ format? This would save loads of memory, I guess, making it possible to work with giant samplebanks like never before...