envelope attack not consistent

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jah Servant

envelope attack not consistent

Post by Jah Servant »

Hi guys,
I'm building a drum machine but I'm having a small problem. The envelope attack seems to be slightly fluctuating on it's own, so the kick will go from hearing the snap to not hearing it.
I have deleted the envelope panel so as to get 0 attack times, and the attack pad has only one control hooked to it which is the snap control of my gui.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks,
Mark
Neutron

Re: envelope attack not consistent

Post by Neutron »

it could be because at that low frequency the free running oscillators are at different positions in their cycle when the envelope attacks.

for instance the time period of 50hz is 20 ms so say a quarter of that for the rising of the wave from zero to max, is 5ms. if your attack is at 2ms you will still have a 5ms attack instead. worst case scenario with a narrow pulse oscillator would be almost the full 20ms late!

if you use an LFO as an oscillator you can make it start on the envelope trigger, and also you can change the start phase, which might give more tweakability to your drum.

heres a little pic. the blue is the envelope and the red is the wave(i used a triangle wave due to lazines :D
planetz1.jpg
planetz1.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
)
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

Thanks, I was wondering if this was the problem and I even thought that it'd be good to have the osc trigger new at each gate but I didn't think of using an lfo, I'll try that. It was the only thing I could think of and the problem is really only very slightly noticeable at higher freq's, the higher is the better response.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

Well, that didn't work, you can get alot more snap though, too much really, by adjusting the phase. But even with the osc retriggering it's still fluctuating. Is this maybe just an issue with the envelopes?
I know that the EDS16i doesn't do this, is that maybe a custom atom they used?
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

rightclick -> attributes -> OnsameDSP ->yes
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

it seems better but it's still happening, any more ideas?
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

you just need to make sure the envelope and osc are inside that module. and both are onsame dsp.
if you are using one of the antialiased oscs, it will not work since the aliasing gives a delay between 0 and 1 samples
using the sine osc should be fine
and using the sync output of oscs is also fine.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

It's working now, after putting the kick module to "on same dsp" then using the lfo osc instead of the sin it's working good. It must have been because of the low freq's, like Neutron was saying. Because the other modules are good once I put them "on same dsp". Right now it's working good, I just had to adjust the phase a bit on the lfo to get the attack.
Thanks for the help.
Mark