mid side

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jah Servant

mid side

Post by Jah Servant »

What's the best way to create a mid side split with sdk? I have combined left and right together for the middle, run the left and right separate with an invert of the middle which removes the middle and leaves the side, then run the middle and combine with the side. However the side image moves in for some reason, the stereo image isn't as wide, if I add in the stereo expander to 100% it puts is right in the right place though. I don't know much about mid side, just messing around with it, what's the best way to pull it off?
thanks
voidar

Post by voidar »

Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Jah servant, Alfonso released a moduar patch that you can use as a starting point of reference. There's also lots of other info on this subject if you look for it.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Flexor 3 has 2 modules for that job too, but well, you wanted to know the way...
wolf

Re: mid side

Post by wolf »

Jah Servant wrote:However the side image moves in for some reason
You need to calculate everything on one dsp, otherwise your stereo image will always be screwed because of time differences between mid & side processing.
Unlikely in left-right processing in mid-side processing even one sample difference leads to very audible differences in stereo image, when converting back to left-right.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

thanks everybody.
How do I do everything on one dsp, I see in the module attributes is says "on same dsp" just change that from "no" to "yes" is that it?
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

that's it basically, but it's a bit of a nightmare trying to reverse that, so ALWAYS save your project before making such changes... In fact save your projects constantly. If you don't save frequently, it's your own fault when you lose work.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

ok, thanks.
it's similar to protecting your project then, save first then make these changes, don't save after changing this? I think I did already actually, hopefully it doesn't mess me up, it's all part of the learning process I guess.
Why is it so hard to undo? I can't just change it back to "no"?
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Yes, save first before doing anything you consider important.
voidar

Post by voidar »

It seems to me that your first technique was wrong.

For M/S you have three signals:

Hard left = Side
Hard right = Inverted side
Left + right (centered) = Mid (mixed in to taste)

You may reverse left and right to taste.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

yes Voidar, my first try was definately wrong, thanks