SDK info on Forum/collected tutorials (Very Rough Release)

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sonicstrav

SDK info on Forum/collected tutorials (Very Rough Release)

Post by sonicstrav »

**EDIT - kicked started again - 87 pages of already completed (added Shane's doc) - around 50% of the info - will prob be around 180 pages ** Jan 10 2010

I know nothing about the SDK apart from the scantly almost useless documentation from CW.

I have noticed there is quite a bit of information given by SDK users here that could be collected together to form a document of tips and tricks etc.

I have started today to collect this information from this forum cutting out any stuff that is unrelated such as general chit-chat - just the info on the sdk from each forum thread.

Although it would be a ragbag of information I think it would be helpful for myself and if the gurus on planet-z approve I could let everyone download it from here when I have finished it - edit it bring it together improve it update it etc.

I think this would be a quick way of getting a rough and ready manual together quickly which would help the SDK community and beginners such as myself :)
Last edited by sonicstrav on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

its a fantastic idea, i hope you get some support.
personally as an ex DP and soon to be SDK person i would help where i can.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

It's definitely a good idea, esp' if you try to combine Shayne's 1st time use document, but that document wasn't public domain, so I'm not sure what the story would be with including it or it's contents. Overall, I'm slightly concerned about whether it should be made public without the permission of Sonic Core, but it's a difficult situation for anyone but yourself to decide on if your document is compiled from comments here on the forum. IE, if the info is already here, is it or could it be a problem to compile it & make a new sdk specific document public? I'm not being negative, this is just one of a few things that I find slightly confusing.
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

The only users that would want the information anyway would be SDK users who have signed the NDA anyway (which might be invalid anyway as Creamware doesn't exist now (very unlikely - but it could have been missed)).
So it's no big deal if it isn't public domain - but a document collecting together info only from PlanetZ should be alright - but I won't take any risks. I'll clear it with SonicCore first.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Looking forward to reading it. 8)
SPOTS

Post by SPOTS »

I think it's a great idea!
I would love to see that happen. I was reading a bit through the SDK sub-forums and feel like it all sounds chinese to me (and the problem is that I am not Chinese... well, not that it is a problem in itself but... well you see what I mean :D )
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

I'm looking for the DP manual in PDF but no one share it with us :(
Some voices says that this manual is the most complete available around.
The SDK manual is "minimal"... :roll:

Here my last attempt with brain:
http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24012

Why this manual is so "secret"??? :-?

Sadly I'm not a good english writer, so I cannot edit a DOC for the community without make horrible language mistakes!!! :wink:
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

<~Shroomz~> wrote:It's definitely a good idea, esp' if you try to combine Shayne's 1st time use document, but that document wasn't public domain, so I'm not sure what the story would be with including it or it's contents.
SC does not own my "First Time Use" document, so it's free for you all to use. The only thing to worry about is if they don't like the fact it talks about *their* software. But as some of you have said, the only people interested in it are those who already have the SDK...and if you're using it to create new manual chapters, I hardly think they'd complain. It's boosting interest in their product, after all, and I don't see why they wouldn't like that (considering they're a new company anyway).

The official download for the chapter is: http://www.shaynesworld.com/first_time_use.doc

Remember, all other chapters the document refers to do not exist yet!!

I pulled out of the project some time ago as my interests have kind of moved on (I haven't done anything with the SDK in a long time). But I hope you all can improve the documentation to the product!

Good luck,

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

hi shayne,

wasn't there a set of screenshots to bundle with your tutorial?
and did anybody find the time to integrate them, or is that part still "to do"?
I did not work through your document due to lack of time, but maybe reworking it could be a good start...

-greetings, markus-

EDIT: seems I found the pic pack on my disk. now it's about to figure out how to put them in the right order... :)
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Shayne White wrote: (...) But I hope you all can improve the documentation to the product! (...)

Shayne
I suggest to rename the DOC with a progressive numeration, to be able to recognize what the most recent version is.
Or better, to ready online a specific wikipedia that can be adjourned eventually by everybody and then to regular intervals to write a PDF directly extracting it from this wikipedia.
I think that's fundamental, for a project so complex and important, to plan the best start organization to avoid dispersions of data and overall confusion.

Very cool project :)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

This thing could dip again me in the magic SDK world!!! :roll:
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

erminardi wrote: I suggest to rename the DOC with a progressive numeration, to be able to recognize what the most recent version is.
yes, versioning would be a cool thing, provided there are versions to enumerate at all. I know of 2, one with a single screenshot on the topmost page (the obviously recent version) and its predecessor. I did not compare the content, but I assume it's identical.
so that would be v0.01 then... :)

let's just see if there is any progress, or even better participate, and then consider further steps. haven't started a wikipedia article yet, so no idea what amount of work that includes...

-greetings, markus-
--
bosone

Post by bosone »

thanks for this!! ;)
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

kylie wrote:
erminardi wrote: I suggest to rename the DOC with a progressive numeration, to be able to recognize what the most recent version is.
yes, versioning would be a cool thing, provided there are versions to enumerate at all. I know of 2, one with a single screenshot on the topmost page (the obviously recent version) and its predecessor. I did not compare the content, but I assume it's identical.
so that would be v0.01 then... :)

let's just see if there is any progress, or even better participate, and then consider further steps. haven't started a wikipedia article yet, so no idea what amount of work that includes...

-greetings, markus-
I think I did make some minor changes to the content. It was a long time ago, and I don't exactly remember what. :(

Good luck to you all!
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

I have been collecting a huge amount of information here plus Shayne's great document. I was thinking of adding scrrenshots to Shayne's document. I've not sure about a wikipedia document as it might be in breach of the NDA (which was with Creamware - not sure about Soniccore),

I reckon I'll have approx. 100 pages of A4 to sift through - will prob have something around 50 pages in the form of Tips/Tricks/FAQ plus Shayne's doc with the screenshots. It will take time and I will get it done.

It's really partially for selfish reasons as I want to learn the SDK and try a do a few wee things with it - but why not help other users?
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

strav100 wrote:I reckon I'll have approx. 100 pages of A4 to sift through - will prob have something around 50 pages in the form of Tips/Tricks/FAQ plus Shayne's doc with the screenshots.
do those pages already exist in a compact form, or is compacting them the burden you want to take?
It's really partially for selfish reasons as I want to learn the SDK and try a do a few wee things with it - but why not help other users?
I know what you mean :)
haven't found the time to do it yet, unfortunately...

-greetings, markus-
--
pollux

Post by pollux »

strav100 wrote:I have been collecting a huge amount of information here plus Shayne's great document. I was thinking of adding scrrenshots to Shayne's document. I've not sure about a wikipedia document as it might be in breach of the NDA (which was with Creamware - not sure about Soniccore),

I reckon I'll have approx. 100 pages of A4 to sift through - will prob have something around 50 pages in the form of Tips/Tricks/FAQ plus Shayne's doc with the screenshots. It will take time and I will get it done.

Hi strav,

Is everything going on as you expected?
Please let us know if we can help :D

Cheers!

Raul
voidar

Post by voidar »

Do you all handle parameters the way this doc says?

It says to link the surface controls to the parameter list. I did this at first and I believe it made my plugin crash scope when I deleted it from the project.

If I linked the circuit controls to the parameter list instead, it would work fine.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Voidar, connect surface controls to controller pads or to pads in the PadList (using store & connect). Controller pads make it easier to alter your circuits without having to reconnect your controls.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Appreciate the tips, but I am already doing that. At least before exporting.
For circuits I usually use the same controller as I end up with in the surface.
But using controller pads might slim the finished device some in regards to space and resources?

Anyway, when doing the preset list, do you drag values from the surface controllers or the controller pads that are connected to the surface?

If I did that, my particular device crashed Scope. I suspect it had something to do with the surface controller still trying to access circuit components that get unloaded before it does.