Linking controls

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jah Servant

Linking controls

Post by Jah Servant »

I am building a stereo effect and have separate controls for left and right side but I want the option to link them. What's the best way to do this? I can link the controls through a button but this just links them permanently is there an adjustment I should make for the button or what?
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Ok, couple of tips which don't take into account all scenarios:-

1. Where possible, connect your surface level controls to 'controller pads' at circuit level.
2. You can try using switches to create uni-directional links. For example take a 2-1 switch connecting one control to input 2 & one to the output. When set to '0' (input 1) the switch will then break the link between the controls & link mode will be off. You can expand on this a lot.
3. You can make control connections uni-directional (so that they don't get feedback) by sending them through a module such as a switch (as above in 2.) modifier or even a logic module such as a diode (logic/conditionals).

I'm sure others here could add to those few tips. :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

btw, you would need to set up stereo links between all available parameters for the 2 controls, so if you have user adjustable control curves, min/max ranges etc, then those would need to be part of your stereo link circuit as well.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

ok, thanks,
I'll see how it goes, if I can make it happen or not
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

fold your fx structure
build a mono block
export all pads to the upper fold
copy the the folded effect block
link all exported pads on both foldings via cables...

-> a no switch stereo device....

btw I recommend teaching yourself folding quite well if you are interested in building bigger projects. Otherwise you easily loose control over your cicuit through the time. Complex circuits can easily blow up with 100s of atoms...
:)
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

ok, thanks. I want to be able to have the controls separate for each side or linked though, this sounds to me like they will all be linked permanently, or maybe I'm missing something.
I see already where the folding really helps things out although I haven't gotten into anything major as yet, good advice
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

Jah,

exactly, the description is for a fixed stereo device....

for sure you can add switches inside the mono block connections....

if you have 5 pads on both blocks, you could load 5 x 2in-1out-switches and connect block1 pads to switch-2ins and the outs to the block2 pads....
let switch-1ins open

than you connect all switch boolean inputs (0,1) together

Then you connect all block1 pads to controls (5)
and block2 pads to a second number of controls (5)

and a button control to one of the switch boolean ins (1,0)

now if you press the button (setting 1), all switches between to circuit blocks closes the connection and both blocks will act the same simulataneously.

if you click the button again, the connection is cutaway and you can control both arrays of controls independently.

hope that helps,
best regards
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

thanks, I got it working.
I couldn't find any 2 x 1 switches so I used the 4x1 and deleted two inputs, are there supposed to be 2x1 switches in the kit?
I had to use asynchronous switch except for in 1 case where it wouldn't work, kinda strange.
Anyways thanks for all the advice.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

thanks, I got it working.
I couldn't find any 2 x 1 switches so I used the 4x1 and deleted two inputs, are there supposed to be 2x1 switches in the kit?
I had to use asynchronous switch except for in 1 case where it wouldn't work, kinda strange.
Anyways thanks for all the advice.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Try the Signal Switch EX. It's a very versatile switch which I'd say is probably the most common one to use for either sync or async signal switching.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

Thanks I'll keep that in mind, I see it can easily be changed to meet the needs.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

normally you should avoid to use bigger modules for smaller tasks,

for example if you mix 2 channels, you should take the mix2 and not a mix8.

If you don`t, that easily can eat up the dsp power.
Especially on polyphonic synth designs where every voice eats up the power for a complete circuit. That multiplies over the voice amount.

f.e.
if you build a synth structure on overspecificated structures/atoms, you could end up using 3/4 of a dsp instead of 1/2 a dsp for ONE VOICE(monosynth).
Now if you make the synth 8-VOICE polyphonic the difference is 6 vs 4 used DSPs. So 2 full dsps difference and what a waste if you keep in mind that the dsp power isn`t cheap!

But with the async stuff like the switches and other async atoms its not that much important, as these are quite low on dsp load count.

Actually its unimportant if you use a 4-1switch instead of the 2-1 switch.

But my general recommendation for circuit building is: use the smallest module that is enough to do the job in your circuit.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

right, that all makes sense. But I don't see a 2-1 switch in my package, it's just not there, so I use a 4-1 and delete the pads and adjust the control to just 0 and 1, is there supposed to be a 2-1 switch?