Questions from new SDK user

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jah Servant

Questions from new SDK user

Post by Jah Servant »

I have built a simple delay.
How do I bring all the control surfaces I want to use to be able to build the gui? In the quick start guide they used just one control surface and dragged it up in the tree and then it would show up when going to build the gui. I want to incorprate the controls from many devices so how do I bring them all together into one gui? I hope that's clear.
Also, how do I make it so this device can be midi controlled?
And when finishing up, to get a useable device, do I just fold it all and then save that as a new device or module?
The manual is severly lacking in being very useful.
hifiboom

Re: Questions from new SDK user

Post by hifiboom »

Jah Servant wrote:I have built a simple delay.
How do I bring all the control surfaces I want to use to be able to build the gui? In the quick start guide they used just one control surface and dragged it up in the tree and then it would show up when going to build the gui. I want to incorprate the controls from many devices so how do I bring them all together into one gui? I hope that's clear.
basically there are two ways:
(1) move the GUI elements from the basic atoms to a global surface
as you described above, you do that by moving them in the tree
(2) or you drop new elements onto a new surface and connect them manually to the modules via store and connect.

Personally I prefer to use the dsp_module_list where the dsp modules come without any sub_gui, so you have to build it from scratch.

The mdls with small guis are specially useful when you are designing stuff where you need to try out many parameters quickly.

Jah Servant wrote:And when finishing up, to get a useable device, do I just fold it all and then save that as a new device or module?
The manual is severly lacking in being very useful.
jep exactly, but don`t forget to protect , ....
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

I am not getting a surface to edit at all when I move the surfaces up in the tree, I can click on my device and open them, there are 7 surfaces I'm combining, but nothing shows when I go into surface mode. I tried moving just one surface but even then it doesn't show. What could be the problem here?

I will try to use the store and connect deal but I'm not sure exactly how that works, I'm sure it's the easiest thing, but it's all new to me. So I can open the default device from the menu and size it then add all the controls I want right? Connecting them to the proper place via the menu. Do I select the pad click store, then select the device I want to connect to, select the pad and click connect? Sorry but I haven't had a chance to check it out as yet.

This kit is fun to use but I am missing alot of info, I can see more posts coming up here.

How about the midi stuff? How do I put a midi in and out into the device and make sure all controls can be controlled by midi?

I guess I protect the device first then save it right? I see protect in the menu when I left click in the tree on the device, just below something about XTC, is that the right place? On a sub menu for something, can't remember what it is right now but it's the only place I've seen protect anywhere. Although anybody could figure out this device easily enough.

thanks for the help
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hello there. It sounds like you haven't built your device inside one of the basic empty modules provided. If you go to your Circuit Design/Basics sdk folder, you'll find various 'empty' modules. Put your device inside one of those like the 'empty insert effect' module, then inside the new module you'll have a 'panel' which will give you a blank canvas to build on. Alternatively, you'll need to fetch a desired panel module & put it inside your main parent module connected to a surfacegroup module as it should be. Either way would work. To physically change or move elements of a panel for a basic CW sdk module (if it has one) in surface mode, you need to be inside the module on the same circuit level as it's panel & surfacegroup before you jump to surface mode, otherwise you won't see it in surface mode. Hope that helps a little. :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

To better protect your device once it's finished, do as follows:- right-click on the main parent module of your device in the project explorer, select 'Delete Old Ciruit GOs', then right-click again & select 'Protect'. Now right-click on your parent module in the 'Project Window' & select 'Save as new module'. Don't know if that'll help or not, but what the hell. :cool:
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

Thanks, I have not built inside a template, I just started building from the new project, however I have the gui working fine, I just opened a default panel and went from there, it seems to work good inside SDK.
I really want to have this thing midi controlled though, I'm totally stuck on that one, what to do?
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I recommend you opening the "emtpy synth module". Inside this you can seee some basics to conect midi. Depending on what you wanna do you have to load a mvc f.e for synths or another tool like a midi time clock, ....and so on .... have a try..... and report back..
the sdk is learning by doing. :)

what do you want to control exactly with midi, tempo?
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

I just had to go back and do over my gui, as Shroomz said, I should have started with a module template, so I put what I had inside the empty effect and now I have everything working fine, the only thing is that when I bring the effect into scope all my text says "new text" not what I had typed, how to fix that? All controls work, they just aren't labeled properly.

I am building an effect, I just want a midi in and out on this thing so that all controls can be controled via mid, cut offs, delay time, feedback, everything.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

Thanks everybody for your help. It seems to be working now, I wasn't using graphical text, that was the text problem, and I got a message explaining the midi as well. The thing is I can't find the midi modules anywhere except inside the synth template, so I took them from there into my effect, is that the only place these modules are? I'm talking about the midi control changer and midi linker.
OK, I'm going to try to put this thing in the devices section so you can check it for me.
bless,
Mark