Fiddlingwith SFP and open devices.

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

voidar

Fiddlingwith SFP and open devices.

Post by voidar »

Hi,

I would love to have the SDK one day, but I just want so say I've had some fun recently via creating these "frankenstein"-devices via the SFP-environment and the open-feature..

Devices like an isolated dynatube cab/mic-sim etc. It's messy, but it works.
I am pretty sure I can I can create my own hybrid amplifier using this method, mixing and matching pre and poweramps as I like.
Also, chaining a lot of devices in its own circuit. The possibilities are quite inspiring.
Last edited by voidar on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:

if you stir poop, it will smell....
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, sooner or later someone would have started it anyway.... ;)
just mind your licenses

cheers, Tom
katano

Post by katano »

for a good reason i kept out of the discussion, just some too hot heads here ;)

i just want to say that if you "hack" something (in switzerland, swiss law) and use the informations you got only for your own education and not for a commercial benefit and don't share it with a third party, then it's not illegal.

i don't know all the laws around the world, maybe everyone here could bring some light into this? would be interesting...

and if there's a backdoor in a product, it'll never be titled as hacking. the one who walks through this backdoor can never be guilty, why should one, it's not one's fault...

and: a hacker and a cracker is not the same!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

en français:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

und auf Deutsch:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

cheers
roman
hubird

Post by hubird »

would have helped to get the pirating accusation dismantled tho... ;-)
(not sure who's heads you are aiming at, it could be some or one of 'us' ' actually? no offend annyway).
katano

Post by katano »

i meant i kept out of the whole DAS discussion, although the word "hacker" was used several times in a wrong environment, because a hacker is not the same as a cracker. a hacker is not coercively one who brakes the law and hacking is not generally illegal, it depends on what one does... then this general and not so overheated thread came up and i decided to say something ;-) no offend to anyone at all, just a little sidenote from my point of view...

cheers
roman
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

[off-topic start]
katano wrote:the word "hacker" was used several times in a wrong environment, because a hacker is not the same as a cracker.
Well, it depends on your nationality. In Denmark cracking is called hacking. And I guess that is the case in some other countries too. I have set up some snitz-forums wich where already modded by a guy, who called himself serverhacker. I think there where quite a few people, who misunderstood his name, when he entered the snitz board - not only danes.
[/off-topic end]

Voidar, are you bullshitting me? Maybe I just don't get the trick, because I can not do it, but I would love to be able to combine preamps and poweramps in dynatube.
digitalaudiosoft

Post by digitalaudiosoft »

why have you change the name of the topic ? it was nice "hacking with sfp and open devices"

i assume all the world i have used about pirating,cracking or hacking.
from wiki france :
Aujourd'hui encore, un hacker désigne un virtuose pouvant intervenir dans différents domaines comme la programmation, l'architecture matérielle d'un ordinateur, l'administration système, l'administration réseau, la sécurité informatique ou tout autre domaine.
about law : using a software to remove a protection like time limit or anti piracy,is illegal : sanction is (in europ) 150 000 euros,but, if proof is made that you wanted to be malicious and voluntarily harm a company, sanction is 750 000 euros and prison.
in usa : 250 000 dolars and 2.5 years of prison.

in this case : using sfp or sdk to remove a protection module is illegal.
using a forum to write topic about how to remove a protection module is illegal.

astroman has writen that he has opened our devices and removed protection module from them,he has writen in this forum how to remove this module too,how many people have read it ?
shroomz has given the tips to djmicron,but why to djmicron and not to all the dev who were concerned ? was is afraid ? malicious ? dishonest ? i don't know ...
but ,how many post have you writen to be malicious and volontarily harm digitalaudiosoft and sonolive ?

of course,you can think what you want,you can call "hacking" the name you want...you can insult me ( digitalaudiosoft ) to make false accusations,but,when a jurist read all your post,he has no problem to understand how malicious and dishonest you are.understand by "you are" only the few members concerned here and not all planetz's members .

eric
katano

Post by katano »

ok then, here in switzerland hacking and cracking is definitively not the same concerning the law, if you remove a copy protection then it's called cracking. if you gather informations about a system, i.e. opening a not or only bad protected device, then it's called hacking and this is not in all cases charged with a crime, at least here in switzerland...

however, eric, i thought you said that you'll keep out this kind of discussions ;-) no offense, don't get me wrong... you know, i'm a happy customer of some of your devices ;-)

cheers
roman
digitalaudiosoft

katano wrote: however, eric, i thought you said that you'll keep out this kind of discussions ;-) no offense, don't get me wrong... you know, i'm a happy customer of some of your devices ;-)

cheers
roman
it was about my conspiracy of silence topic...
about,pirating,cracking or hacking my plugins,i will never stop a discussion.
i have corsica and spanish blood...i'm latin...not swiss :wink:
you are a happy customer of some or all our devices ? just an ironic question...hope you like joking,sometimes i like...sometimes not...
i'm learning lots of good things from astroman and hubird :wink:

eric
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

digitalaudiosoft wrote:why have you change the name of the topic ?
My guess: So people with dishonnest intensions would not find the thread with google.

about law : using a software to remove a protection like time limit or anti piracy,is illegal
Technically then, the question would be, if using 'the software itself' counts (scope plug-ins are not seperate softwares but plug-ins for a host = Scope Platform. Therefor I asume, that Scope Platform would be considdered 'the software itself'), or if in fact the law refers to external software.

Technically, I think you have a weak case for the court room, since double clicking a file in a windows explorer and using basic features in the host software (wich is what the description looked like to me) probably is, what would be expected behaviour from end users.
katano

Post by katano »

digitalaudiosoft wrote: i have corsica and spanish blood...i'm latin...not swiss :wink:
that explaines a lot :D

and yes, i only use the devices i bought and i haven't even (yet) tried to open an insecure device, neighter one of yours nor somebody else's. and i probably never will because i don't care, ok maybe just for fun, who knows :D

last but not least, 'opening a device' and 'removing the protection' are two pair of shoes, aren't they?

cheers
Roman
moxi

Post by moxi »

sanction is (in europ) 150 000 euros,but, if proof is made that you wanted to be malicious and voluntarily harm a company, sanction is 750 000 euros and prison.
in usa : 250 000 dolars and 2.5 years of prison.
...maybe it's the only way for you to win bucks with your devices... :D :D

...or you can attack creamware themselve, cause they propose an app that allow people to crack your work...
digitalaudiosoft

@ Immanuel,

about court room,i'm not qualified to answer you and i have given all my confidence to a professional.

in french we call that : utilisation detournée d'un logiciel.maybe in english : diverted use of a software.

is sfp or sdk made for astroman's uses and tips ? no.
and as voidar says,it seems dynatube from creamware has this problem too.
voidar wrote:Hi,

I would love to have the SDK one day, but I just want so say I've had some fun recently via creating these "frankenstein"-devices via the SFP-environment and the open-feature..

Devices like an isolated dynatube cab/mic-sim etc. It's messy, but it works.
I am pretty sure I can I can create my own hybrid amplifier using this method, mixing and matching pre and poweramps as I like.
Also, chaining a lot of devices in its own circuit. The possibilities are quite inspiring.
about what i call sdk bug : all our devices are really protected by the sdk protection function .so,if this function was good enough ,this problem didn't exist.
seeing how a device is made is not a problem,and ,it can also be good for sdk newbies for learning how to make a mixer,a compressor,a good eq,a good reverb...
what is "hopefully " good in this bug,is that you can't acces to hidden parameters,can't lunch a script and can't know if a script is running,can't see dsp placement,can't see where a value is stored...because you see only cables,module and folded module.
maybe that's all those reason who makes a polteq sounding differents of sl9000...or,an rmx 160 do not sound as a simple spring reverb made with only 16 ap1dr...

when the device is stollen bye removing protection module ,that's not very friendly and illegal.
katano wrote: and yes, i only use the devices i bought and i haven't even (yet) tried to open an insecure device, neighter one of yours nor somebody else's. and i probably never will because i don't care, ok maybe just for fun, who knows :D

last but not least, 'opening a device' and 'removing the protection' are two pair of shoes, aren't they?

cheers
Roman
i believe you are honest and have good friends,like me.

eric
astroman

Post by astroman »

what a nice change in language, respect Eric

I will keep any irony aside and just remind you of the sequence of facts

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:54 pm
digitalaudiosoft wrote: ...when you only protect the device,it can be open,you see all the algo but not all parameters...but ,you can remove a copy protection for example !
Posted: 02 Mar 2007 16:14
astroman wrote: ...well, I didn't want to participate here, but since the cat's out of bag anyway...
this hacking blurb is complete bullsh*t - there is no hacking involved at all...
as an answer to Counterpart's question

you left tha cat out of the bag
I have informed you 3 months ago that I'd consider this serious and would keep it disclosed, which I have done
obviously accepted by you, as in the same post that's quoted above there's the sentence ...i want to thanks astroman to have deleted all those hacked devices :-)...maybe he is alone...

you've had time to update your devices in between -it's nothing else than what happens when a network security hole is discovered
I explicitely pointed out that the only purpose of my post was to prove you wrong of calling specificmembers 'hacker' as opening a file doesn't qualify as such for sure
I never invited someone to use anything without a license, and I see it exactly as Katano.

here is an explanation of how devices are packaged, and that it has always been this way.
Intenionally or not - in the end it breaks down to a slightly careless work of the respective developer

I have never written any post against DAS as a company - I wrote a couple of times why I question your qualification, backed up by reasonable arguments - which noone has to share btw.
I don't repeat what you called me in public, but that's for sure on a different level... ;)

so relax and keep that nice style of writing
you may also want to notice that those legal figures are 'up to' values, and most of all 'there must be evidence for a damage...'
200 plugins in 5 months (or so) isn't much, and it's already close to the 'market exhausted' line.
On the other hand your personal style of communication probably had a much more negative impact than anything ever discussed - looks like you're about to eventually change the latter, fine.

cheers, Tom
katano

Post by katano »

that was your post 5000 astro!!! Respect. but you repeat yourself quit alot ;-)

It's nice to see that everyone is cooling down a bit, and the discussion can go on in a more productive way...

in that respect
cheerioo
Roman
astroman

Post by astroman »

thanks, Roman :)

I agree on the repetition, but I think this one is somewhat better from a comprehensive and timeline oriented viewpoint, let alone there's more fact focussed talk in this thread.

cheers, Tom
hubird

Post by hubird »

they should get them a PR guy anyway.
E. is for sure already eating his own toes just because Astro came in, independently from the content of his words.
Second, your english is way too complicated for E. to understand Tom.
The message will not get through, just believe me.
It IS already complicated on it's own, a strange language plus some emotions kill the rest.
Why you think always the same mantra's come on E.'s table?
If Tom is repeating himself, then there is a trigger each time.

Wait for the next derailment, and don't say I didn't say so.
Sorry , I really think so...
Let them get a PR guy, let them get a...
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Huub, it kind of looks as if you are actually trying to troll Eric.
astroman

Post by astroman »

honestly - I respect Eric's point of view as he's posted above
I have a different opinion about some conclusions - but I don't see a problem if things are exchanged this way and on this level

cheers, Tom