GUI elements

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Post by garyb »

very cool.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I've had people who might contribute here asking privately for some specifics about the lighting configuration used for these controls. Instead of going into too much detail here, I'll try to find the time to post a very basic gui element tutorial thread which outlines the methods & tricks used here.

In the meantime, I should explain that I've been using the same 3ds project for all of these controls. The project has several strategicaly placed omni lights. To retain their positions & settings & keep some consistancy throughout the collection I just load up the same project each time, delete the knob or whatever it was modelling & then build my new model in it's place (in the same central location)

Anyone who wants to contribute to the collection is welcome to use my <a href="http://www.si-rus.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ ... t.zip">3ds project</a> as a starting point, which will mean that all controls we build have the same light sources & lighting settings. Anyone not well versed in max however, should be aware that material editor attributes, settings & maps are very very important in terms of a surfaces' reaction to light, shadows & reflections etc (not to mention colour).

Other important things to note are:-

1. To cut down render times & get proper alpha channel inclusion in the animations, we're no longer including background shadows, so there should be NO background 'plane' or 'surface' beneath your model (for customized versions with background shadows in the alpha channel, please ask via PM)

2. Rotation motion should be done in 3d. The knobs here are rotating 300 degrees in total across 65 frames (150 deg' left & right of center) Straight key-in & key out tangents should be used to keep a consistant speed, otherwise (with default settings) your animation will speed up at the start & slow down at the end, which you don't want.

3. When rendering your final animation, the minimum size you can get away with is 320x240, but 640x480 is advisable if you want decent results. This way your animation frames will be relatively high resolution before you begin the process of editing & sizing down in 2d.

4. If you're using ph0t0sh0p, learn how the action scripts & batch processing work if you don't already know them, as they are essential for this type of work.

I'll go into more detail in a tutorial thread where we can discuss all this in detail & help one-another when stuck. In the meantime, if anyone has questions or needs help making gui elements, please send me a PM & I'll try to help.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

you earn my highest respect for your professional work and explanations.

add some 3D faders and 3D buttons and you have done a complete suite of GUI designing tools for scope DP...

Really I want a Scope 15 kit + SDK.

A synth with these graphics would look like hell good. I think even better than CWs stock synths...

And while the sound stays the same, I just makes much more fun to play with nice looking tools...

BTW:I have a 1000pages 3DS-Max book at home and never really read it... :lol:

But its a powerful tool. I know

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hifiboom on 2006-09-13 08:22 ]</font>
katano

Post by katano »

puuuuh, i remember the times i used bryce 3d... this was a pain in the a... think/hope it's a lot easier today. however, thanx to shroomz for his great work!
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

There is a very well developed application that is open source and free to use and i'm switching from cinema 4d to it, because it is lighter than any other 3d application, it is cross platform and it runs very fast on linux, so, i'm using a linux based network for my 3d jobs .

here is the link http://blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

Micron
sharc

Post by sharc »

Re: Gimp and Blender, I've tried both of these out over the past few months. I've actually still got Gimp installed here on the Net machine. They're certainly both capable bits of software and for most people wanting to dabble with some graphics they'll usually do the job. That said, IMO there's really no comparison between Gimp and CS2. The way I see it, I've spent lots of money on music hardware and software for my hobby and as a professional designer I didn't mind doing the same with graphics software. Don't get me wrong though. If you're after the free alternative, you won't get much better than Blender and Gimp.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sharc on 2006-09-13 12:59 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

You can use whatever software suits your needs & pocket, but the saying 'you get what you pay for' does apply to design software. Having thoroughly checked them out I really don't like the apps in general or the workflow in either blender or gimp. They're 3rd rate to be honest & definately not even close to comparable with max or PS. Very few design studios in the world would use the free, open source tools, simply because they aren't good enough.

I liked the 'idea' of both blender & gimp being free, thinking they could maybe get us away from expensive upgrades every 2/3 years. Unfortunately, having given them a shot out of interest, they just don't cut it. With a lot of time spent learning they're workings, I'm sure some half decent results are possible, but I've yet to see any decent gui elements made with blender & or gimp.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Respect... :grin:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

You've made a great start Stardust & it would be great if you keep going & contribute your work here. Just one thing: Your preview should preferably be representative of what the actual knob animations look like. All the design previews posted on this thread are 'actual' size with the only difference being that we've put them on a background. I think it's nice if 'what you see is what you get', as that way people aren't mislead in any way.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

edit
Last edited by Shroomz~> on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

edit
Last edited by Shroomz~> on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janni

Post by Janni »

beautifull!!!

cheers,
jan
astroman

Post by astroman »

the first Shroomboyz release cannot be far... :grin:
don't leave out a phantasy set with a forest theme, like owls turning heads, red dwarfs showing up and of course mushrooms as knobs

cheers, tom (kidding)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2006-09-16 03:52 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Shroomboyz :lol:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

edit
Last edited by Shroomz~> on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

wow Shroomz,

every day when I am looking into this thread, you pull out even more cool sh**!

The graphics and your free work for this community def. rockz!!!!

Your designs look even much better than most CW standard ones.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hifiboom on 2006-09-16 11:56 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Thanks a lot, but the best is still to come I assure you :wink:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

edit
Last edited by Shroomz~> on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

Wow, these knobs would be great with seperated inner circle and ring. So in MOVEknott one could set values and show movement with one knob. Maybe I will build a smaller version, which uses such feature. Problem in this version would be the amount of graphical movement on screen (which is actually quite heavy for my slow computer with the visualisation-panel on). So I'll keep my 'big' version seperated and with faders, which should be less graphic-power-eating...

Martin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MCCYRANO on 2006-09-17 14:53 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Martin, I understand what you're getting at functionally, but do you mean you would like these illuminated surrounds separate to use with the existing black MOVknott knobs or would you like these knobs & surrounds separated? Either way, it's no problem & I'll send you the customized versions off-list so that you have 'unique' & exclusive versions for your device. I think it would be interesting to see the results of your idea, as it would be very unique.

Unfortunately, it would be tomorrow sometime before I could send the new work. Let me know either way & if you have a colour preference or want all 3 colour variations.

Great idea btw !!!