Vocal extraction, and preservation.

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Post by dawman »

I'm unfamiliar with this surgical technique, and was hoping someone who is into forensics for police might be helpfull. I only wish to redo some old recordings when our groups' vocals were compared to the "Little River Band'. Our lead vocalist, bless his heart is no longer with us, and we want to do re-makes with new music, using the old vocals. Any Scope related software, or any platform for that matter?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scope4live on 2005-08-11 16:02 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

I'm sorry to hear about your singer :/

Hope Neutron's xenon codec can get you started. It outputs the center and side panned signals on different outputs.

In the ideal case of voice being panned dead center and the rest a little off, you will be able to separate it. A while ago I tried removing voice from a track, which is technically almost the same, and it seemed not to work too well: voice was reduced about 3-6dB with little artifacts, from 6-12dB it had clearly audible artefacts.

The result will largely depend on the source material, playing with EQ and/or filters can help a little for example for removing bass which will also be panned in the center, like the vocals usually. Don't expect miracles, but it should put you on the way :smile:

Btw, this forum is usually used for developpers talk, requests can go in the wishlist...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
garyb

Post by garyb »

lots-o-luck...
custom algorythms by a genius programmer/audio engineer might just do it....
astroman

Post by astroman »

dawman

Post by dawman »

Bet you guys are tired of me thanking you, but thank you. This forum is what makes Scope worth the asking price.
pseudojazzer

Post by pseudojazzer »

On a different tack, there is some vocal extractor thing that Alesis sell for about £80, really can't remember what its called - something like the "vocal zapper" - dunno if its any good at all but its worth a look so long as you can try before you buy....

Tuppenny bit
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thank You Sir,
An associate of mine uses Zapper for creating Kareokee tracks. It works great, but in opposite direction of my endeavor. At any rate I'm having alot of contractual problems securing the Masters at this time. But am feverish to re-record with Scope, and it's 32bit integer VDAT app. I've compared old Hammond tracks vrs. B2003 tracks, and am convinced I can achieve great results. Will continue my noble quest. Imagine vocals similar to Little River Band, with fresh new GS3/Scope sounds.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

this is prolly a stupid suggestion, but if you have instrumental versions of same track you could theoretically line them up perfectly and phase-reverse one of them.
hubird

Post by hubird »

dawman

Post by dawman »

I'll try to explain my dilemma. I doubt I will be able to obtain the masters. Therfore I only have CD's. My only option that I'm aware of is dumping them in the box, and doing some forensic surgery to remove the vocals without too many artifacts. Please explain your idea to me a little more. It reminds me of Spocks matter-anti matter theory, which I would also consider, because at this point I'm getting quite desparate. Thanks for your input. Wow just realised that you and I are in the same time zone, or am I truly Scoped out? Sorry it just sank in, I am scoped out. Must drink coffee quickly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scope4live on 2005-09-01 19:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scope4live on 2005-09-01 19:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scope4live on 2005-09-01 19:27 ]</font>
H-Rave

Post by H-Rave »

Unfortunately 4Live I've tried the matter to anti-matter theory from people who say"yeah what if you inverse the phase of one side of the stereo track" or whatever, and it mostly comes from those who haven't tried it,and I will,if I may say, "It doesn't bloody work!",I've come across some not too bad results with Waves X-Hum Noise,a Waves Plugin.I'm sure with several effect passes it might just work,but I've never pushed it to beyond 3 or 4 passes.
Aries

Post by Aries »

John, this topic should transfered to General Scope discussion or Device/Module Wishlist

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aries on 2006-02-24 01:53 ]</font>