Modulating/ Warping Audio Signals with envelopes, lfo's etc.

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

brain1

Post by brain1 »

can any developer give me an idea of how an audio input is synced with envelopes , lfo's?
i would like to be able to modulate/warp
the input signal - but i am not familiar with the routing and circuits required to get the effect.
any help is very appreaciated.

regards
at0m

Post by at0m »

Hoi brain1,

Just as the oscillators in a modular synth are manipultated, any extern audio signal can be processed inside a patch... I love to send a looong recorded and stretched Flexor Ramp on its own ASIO channel to an External Effect module which sits in Insert Fx in my patches. I use Harm to multiply that ramp usually as a first step, then add a couple of other shapers that will make the actual audible modulation.

That's it for the tight modulation sync, which can also be sent over ADAT from for example Fruity on an RME machine instead as from ASIO... Each time we get together with a couple of machines we're amazed how tight sync can be! I get the same grin on my face as when I played Minimax for the first time :grin:

If you don't have access to this technology, an LFO from Mod1 can also be retriggered with a MIDI note to control some filters etc, but I think Flexor is the way to go if I understand what you mean by 'warp'.

Flexor contains a whole bunch of shapers that can this time be used to add harmonics, filters to remove the excessive harmonics :grin: , and some granular stuff that can make some nice real-time pitch/scratch/reorder effects.

Have fun!
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Plato

Post by Plato »

at0mic - do you mean you're using the ramp to modulate controls on the effect, or generating audio from the ramp signal ?
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I think he talks about getting modulation signals...

BTW never let a slow ramp reach your speakers, as it is a DC monster that can destroy them without mercy...

All the FleXor stuff is designed to be modulated by audio rate signals, and also the FleXor sequencers are moved by ramps.
This is a much tighter solution than using midi-gated data. With the shapers you transform the ramp and the modulation obtained, and instead of triggering ramps with a keystroke via midi, You can directly put these ramps on audio tracks, so your modulation is "sample accurate".
As I said, never let such a ramp reach your speakers though!
Plato

Post by Plato »

ah thanks......wise words !