the NEW Sequential Pro One has arrived

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

inDSP Frank
Creamware Founder

Post by inDSP Frank »

Another hit single derived from the Noah album. Another synth as monumental as the minimax, but different. In colaboration with the folks from Sequential, here is THE Pro One - find it in the shop already, info pages to go online tomorrow. In colaboration with John Bowen, we applied many improvements to the Pro One previously released by John.

Have fun...!

Cheers Frank
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Cool! I have one question, though: is the Zarg version going to be discontinued, or is it still going to be available? The Zarg Pro-One is $100 cheaper, so maybe it'll become the "light" version.

:smile:

Shayne
inDSP Frank
Creamware Founder

Post by inDSP Frank »

Hi Shayne,

the new Pro One replaces the previous Zarg Version. Having two different versions in the field does just create confusion. The price difference is due to the substancial further effort that was invested into the new Pro One. Working with John, we'll offer 99$ upgrades for existing Zarg Pro One owners within the next few weeks.

Frank
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

How does this affect Pro One SOLO owners? Will there be an upgrade or will we have to buy the 'grown-up' version for full cost?

Also, will my Pro One SOLO presets work in the new Pro One?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2003-07-15 15:43 ]</font>
aMo

Post by aMo »

On 2003-07-15 15:39, CW Frank wrote:
Working with John, we'll offer 99$ upgrades for existing Zarg Pro One owners within the next few weeks.

Frank
I was just going to ask about that, guess I wont have to.. I'm getting the upgrade then!
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to jump in here and clarify:
the new Pro One and the former Wine Country version are not data compatible. (The preset lists are completely different).<br>
I did do a number of preset 'conversions' from the old version for this new version, but regarding any custom-made presets, I'm afraid you will have to load both versions of Pro Ones into your ProjectWindow and do a one-by-one comparision of each parameter to accomplish this (which is what I had to do!).

There have been a number of refinements in this new version; it actually is even more of an 'exact duplication' of the hardware, based on the Pro One that Creamware has in their laboratory. (However, it also offers chorus and delay for effects, and velocity control...obviously not part of the 'exact emulation' :smile: one of the benefits of software design!)

regards,
john b.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: johnbowen on 2003-07-15 17:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: johnbowen on 2003-07-15 17:40 ]</font>
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

so what are the biggest difference in the emulation? How will it sound different from the Zarg Pro One? To be honest I think a price-increase of 200% is a bit steep for just "refinements", added fx and velocity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2003-07-16 06:22 ]</font>
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i don't think i'll be taking up the 'offer.'

Won't this price increase put it in the same price bracket as the Prophet?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2003-07-16 06:31 ]</font>
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

actually the price increase is even more, the old Pro One was 99 US dollars, the new is 198 Euros, which translates to 220.861 US Dollars, about the same as the Zarg Prophet Plus and a price increase of 220% :sad:
Sorry it's just too expensive. (Or John Bowen's stuff is just too cheap!! :grin:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2003-07-16 06:46 ]</font>
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

btw. I don't see any pics of the stepsequencer. Is it the same as in the Zarg version or has it been improved/altered ? This is my favourite part of the Pro One, and although the seq on the zarg version was cool, there were still a number of things that had to be changed but couldn't.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i'd rather buy the Prophet Plus for that price(i have the Standard). In fact Solaris isn't much more at US$229. Now usually i don't make a fuss of CW's pricing but this seems a tad steep - would be interesting to see how many take up the offer (especially if you already own a Zarg Pro One).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2003-07-16 07:03 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

I'll go for the update to the new version. It gets me updates on Pro One for future software revisions...
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

atomic wrote:
I'll go for the update to the new version. It gets me updates on Pro One for future software revisions...
Well i was actually avoiding this issue a bit as i didn't wish to appear cynical, but now that you've brought it up...

Does this mean that 'old' Pro One users will have to update if they want any further updates (ie. is the last update the final one we'll see for 'old' Pro One)? i am assuming that it'll still work in any future SFP updates like all the other 'old' devices do (hey at least it's got the new-style preset list).

Also it would be cool to offer a SOLO version of the new Pro One (which is the version i've got) as i prefer to use this monophonically anyway and it would be cheaper (and could also offer a gradual upgrade path in terms of cost).

Keeping things relative, if CW take on Prophet for Noah and then do an SFP version, will that cost US$329?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2003-07-16 08:13 ]</font>
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

Keeping things relative, if CW take on Prophet for Noah and then do an SFP version, will that cost US$329?
I guess in that case they would have to start realising that there's something not right about their pricing policy compared to 3rd party devices.
I mean, the price of this Pro One is in line with the prices of other CW synths. The Minimax is 250,- Euro, so they could hardly sell the Pro One, which many would consider a similar sort of plugin, for 99,- because then the price of the Minimax would be wrong and nobody would buy it.
The problem is that seemingly companies like Zarg are able to market synths with much more features (Prophet Plus, Solaris) for the same price, while synths with comparable features (Zarg Pro One) sell/sold for less than half the price.
Now I understand that there has probably been quite a lot of work to update the Pro One to the new version, but I don't think it's right that an update should make a synth more than twice as expensive.

I guess if KickMe! was made by Creamware it would cost 98,- Euro :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2003-07-16 09:34 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

The way this is going, let's just hope Flexor stays at $99.

Flexor ? Did someone say Flexor ? Wasn't there a book or play of that title ? Yes ! "Waiting for Flexor" that was it....
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

there are tiny voices in my mind, whispering *flexor* *flexor* *it's cooooming* ..... *we're just not going to tell you when...* *MUHAHAHAHAHAHA* :wink:
ape-teenager

Post by ape-teenager »

the mp3 examples sound really cute!!
Alex

Post by Alex »

I just purchased Pro One, it has a killer sound
better than NOVATION Supernova II Kbd.
It remids me on my old KORG MS 20 but sounds better than KORG
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

At one time I simultaneously owned a Korg Mono/Poly, Pro-One and MS-20 and found that they were all vastly different.

Certainly the Pro-One was always my choice for hard bass and usually for lead sounds too... but damn the thing used to go badly out of tune. Ever try fiddling the pots ? :eek:

What are the tuning pots like on the CW version ? :wink:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Pots look analog, they can be adjusted with a mousewheel as well. When you move the mouse over a pot a popup comes out with values. It would be nice if I could punch a number for a pot value, but still it has a great sound